Reopening of the Superdome

nola17

• 6 months later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, and the plans include replacing the aluminum skin of the dome with a new one, and adding a thin strip of windows around the center. Should be beautiful by this time next year. I thought this phase of the project wasn't going to happen, but apparently it is. Not sure of any further interior improvements.

The lighting of the exterior has been phenomenal over the past few days. At one point, I had heard that the Superdome was going to purchase a new exterior lighting system. Is this it? Or is this something temporary as a result of the Sugar Bowl and BCS Title Game?

Yeah, this will be another temporary lighting system. My favorite is still the red, white, and blue colors used during the Super Bowl in 2002. But I'd love to see anything new on the Dome...something other than the dim orange lights. Can you imagine what some creative thinking and interesting colors could do to the dome? Of course that would all require lots of money, which is the reason we'll never see it.

Jim856796, the aluminum siding of the Dome will simply be replaced by new aluminum I'm sure. It badly needs replacing because it's stained, dented, dull, etc. Everything age and Katrina could do to the sides of the Dome, they did, and something new would look great.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would keep the Either the Mardi Gras colors or try the saints colors on the dome...

Also even though the Jazz Park project is all but dead, I wish they would renovate that area between the dome and the still damaged New Orleans Centre. They could turn it into an urban park sort of like a Jackson Square or Lee circle feel

• 2 weeks later...
I wish they would keep the Either the Mardi Gras colors or try the saints colors on the dome...

Also even though the Jazz Park project is all but dead, I wish they would renovate that area between the dome and the still damaged New Orleans Centre. They could turn it into an urban park sort of like a Jackson Square or Lee circle feel

I agree. I've heard somewhere that the Dominion Tower building is suppose to reopen sometime this year. But u still have the Hyatt, which isn't reopening, and the defunct New Orleans Centre. Personally I think they should renovate that are between the Dome and the New Orleans Centre because they are always having outdoor concerts in that area. Also, it would be the perfect tailgating spot or pep rally type of location.

Meanwhile, the New Orleans Centre should be a mix-use entertainment complex. They should make it sort of sports oriented, add a little thing called the Louisiana Food Experience. Its where tourist get to cook authentic Louisiana style food with chef from the area. Other ideas for the New Orleans Centre should also be tossed about.

As for the Hyatt, someone should definitely renovate it and reopen it as a hotel. Its one of the largest in the city.

The Loyola Ave. corridor needs a total remake. Personally I would try to bring a small entertainment district to the Loyola and Poydras intersection. As for the parking lots, they should construct like 2 major garages that would service the normal everyday parking as well as the event parking at the Dome.

• 4 months later...

Here's a detailed article about the third phase of the $210 Superdome renovation.

Article

Sunshine will make its debut this summer in the cavernous interior of the Louisiana Superdome when four windows are added to the famously monolithic exterior of the silver-skinned New Orleans stadium, according to a story in New Orleans City Business.

The windows

Archived