Hartford, Connecticut

Bartholomew

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CTman,

Awesome pics of the city and some great shots outside of downtown! Where is the house in the last pic located?

The last photos are of Goowin Estates on Asylum Avenue in the city's west end. The red brick building was completely renovated and then townhouses (in the other picture) were built around them. Everything opened by phases but now everything is completed and they are all full...they were also quite expensive to purchase...they are near the West Hartford line but still in Hartford and they sell for between $400,000-$850,000

Ill get more pics on soon

A few Hartford non-skyline pics:

Bushnell Memorial Auditorium (site of the 1996 Clinton/Dole Presidential Debate:

2uj3504.jpg

Colt Fireams Building which locals refer to as the "Blue Onion":

2i74u8z.jpg

Connecticut Governor's Mansion at Prospect and Asylum Avenues near the West Hartford Town Line:

2v1rbl3.jpg

Connecticut State Capitol and Bushnell Park:

2zqg56t.jpg

Mark Twain House at Nook Farm on Farmington Avenue:

35citja.jpg

Old State House (the oldest standing state house in the United States:

30bl7rn.jpg

960 Main Street - home of Capital Community College, state offices and ground level retail space. The building was the former home of the G Fox Department Store which back then was the largest department store in New England. It closed in 1993 and was renovated in the late 1990's and Capital Community College consolidated its campuses to one big one downtown

CCC.jpg

55 on the Park apartments downtown in the old SNET building

55onthepark.jpg

Clemens Place in the west end - About 40 renovated historic buildings with 500+ apartments off Farmington Ave

ClemensPlace.jpg

CT Childrens Medical Center- on the hartford hospital campus, CCMC is the only hospital in the state devoted to just kids

CCMC.jpg

Dodge Music Center in the north meadows section of the city. Draws in hundreds of big name concerts each year

Dodge.jpg

Capital West - a vacant office building that is near The Hartford headquarters, I-84 and Union Station that is being redeveloped into condos

CapitalWest.jpg

Main Street downtown approaching Asylum St by the Old State House, State House Square, the Gold Building and Travelers

MainSt.jpg

Trumbull St while Hartford 21 was still under construction on the left

TrumbullSt.jpg

Trumbull and Asylum while Hartford 21 was still under construction on the left

2210522580079774786oNUqFf_fs.jpg

Pearl Street by the back side of City Place, then the Goodwin Hotel then the Metropolitan Condos

goodwin.jpg

Pratt Street during a Women of Faith Convention

Pratt.jpg

wow those pictures are awesome!!! looks a little different than the last time i was there...

I guarantee you it has changed since the last time you were here. Over the last 5-10 years the city has seen major private and public investment which includes

-CT Convention Center (544,000 square feet), attached 409 room 22 story Marriott Hotel

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/BDLDT

http://www.ctconventions.com/

-CT Science Center (144,000 square feet, to open in 2008

http://ctsciencecenter.org/

-Front Street - retail/entertainment/residential section of the convention center/hotel/science center area which is called Adriaens Landing. Front Street will include some sort of ESPN attraction and space for the Wadsworth Atheneum

-Hartford 21 - a new 36 story apartment tower with lower level retail space that is home to the YMCA and will house a local grocery

http://www.hartford21.com/

-Colt Gateway - conversion of former Colt Factory complex into lofts, office space, retail space, and possibly museums and a national park

http://www.coltgateway.com/colt.html

-Metropolitan, Capital West, American Airlines Building - new condos in renovated office buildings

-55 on the Park, Trumbull on the Park - new apartments, Trumbull on the Park is a new 11 story brick building facing the park

http://www.trumbullapts.com/

-Sage Allen Building - conversion of former Sage Allen Department store in townhouses for University of Hartford students

-960 Main was the conversion of the former G Fox Department store back in 2000 into the new home of Capital Community College

http://www.960main.com/

-Bond Hotel is being convereted into a Homewood Suites by Hilton

-Hilton Hotel Downtown underwent a 33 million dollar renovation. The 18 story hotel with 392 rooms is attached to the civic center and now features a new restaurant and a new bar

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=HFDHHHF

-UHART Performing Arts Center construction in the North End which is one of the cit's worst areas but is adjacent to the university's main campus which is in the city's best neighborhood

Other city news:

St Paul Travelers has shown its commitment to the city by promising to add 500 new jobs to Hartford and 100 to nearby Windsor. They will also be leasing office space in a 6th downtown location. The Travelers tower is still a city landmark

AETNA has announced it will be moving 3600 employees from Middletown to Hartford and will be adding space to house these employees

GlobeOp will be opening a Hartford office with 150 employees

There are continous efforts underway by private developers and the city and mayor to bring the NHL back to the city...it is a long shot but there still are numerous big players involved plugging away for the city

Ive heard that Hartford has some rough areas.

I first want to talk about safety in Hartford. It is an issue but not the major issue that the press makes it out to be. There are rough areas of the city but there are rough areas of every city. There are bad areas in Boston, Providence, NYC, New Haven, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, etc. In Hartford the worst area is in the North End followed by the south end. Crime usually rises in these areas in the summer months. The city though is safe in my opinion.

I personally do not have photos of these areas but I will be going home for Columbus Day (im at school in NYC now) and ill try to get some shots of these areas. In the meantime there is a great website which has information and pictures on all of Hartford's 17 neighborhoods (including the best and the worst). Have a look at it...

http://hartford.omaxfield.com/neighborhoods.html

In Hartford the worst area is in the North End followed by the south end. Crime usually rises in these areas in the summer months. The city though is safe in my opinion.

I don't consider the true South End to be a bad area. I'm speaking of the traditional South End centered around Franklin Avenue. Although there are some rough spots around Hartford Hospital.

The North End which encompasses everthing north of Downtown and Asylum Hill probably has the worst reputation for crime. Frog Hollow, Parkville, South Green, and Sheldon-Charter Oak, all immediately south and southwest of Downtown, are also sketchy in places.

The truly nicest areas of the city are the West End, Asylum Hill, Southwest, Barry Square, the South End and, of course, Downtown.

The North Meadows and South Meadows are almost entirely industrial areas of the city.

2j0mfiv.jpg

I don't consider the true South End to be a bad area. I'm speaking of the traditional South End centered around Franklin Avenue. Although there are some rough spots around Hartford Hospital.

I personally have no problems with the south end and see it to be pretty safe...others will disagree with me. The south end is home to the numerous Italian restaurants, bakeries and clubs on Franklin Avenue, Barry Square with that beautiful church, First & Last Tavern & Bakery Cafe on Maple Ave, and much more. The area around Hartford Hospital can be a little rough but it is also a very vibrant area and is extremly close to the heart of Park Street which is bustling

The North End which encompasses everthing north of Downtown and Asylum Hill probably has the worst reputation for crime. Frog Hollow, Parkville, South Green, and Sheldon-Charter Oak, all immediately south and southwest of Downtown, are also sketchy in places.

Even though some areas are sketchy they are still home to many well known institutions.

Frog Hollow -Trinity College - a very well known liberal arts college is located in Frog Hollow

Asylum Hill - there are some bad parts but lets not forget the headquarters of AETNA and the Hartford as well the new home of the CT Culinary Institute are there. The Mark Twain House & Harriett Beecher Stowe house are there near the west end.

Park Street is home to tons of Hispanic restaurants, bakeries, shops and even a supermarket. These places draw people from NYC, Boston and Western Mass to shop and eat here. This street is one of the most bustling in the area...in my opinion

The North Meadows and South Meadows are almost entirely industrial areas of the city.

Yes these areas are not home to people but many industrial, commerical and entertainment venues

The North Meadows is home to lots of car dealerships (Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Jaguar, etc), the Dodge Music Center (formely the Meadows Music Center) and the CT Expo Center

• 2 weeks later...

Some proposed Hartford skyscrapers that were never built. What an impact they would have made.

180 Allyn Street (Height 801'):

4gyx9om.jpg

Cutter Financial Center (Height 878'):

2lj58r5.jpg

Metro Center (Height unknown):

2rqc9b7.jpg

Society Center (Height 700'):

29wmkab.jpg

World Trade Center of Hartford (Height 405'):

2dvq2b8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived