Orlando: On a Sunday Afternoon

bobliocatt

I spent this past weekend in Winter Haven, FL visiting family & friends. On my way back to Jax, I decided to make a quick detour and visit downtown Orlando. Nightfall was approaching fast so, I didn't take to many pics. I guess I was in a rush since some are a little blurry.

looking north along Orange Avenue

orange-L.jpg

sidewalk dining along Wall Street

wall-street-1.jpg

looking South along Orange Avenue

orange-street-north.jpg

looking North along Orange Avenue

orange-street-south.jpg

a mural on a building on Orange Avenue

orlando.jpg

A Thai restaurant on Pine Street

thai.jpg

the Waverly residential tower

the-waverly.jpg

the glass tower in the background is looking a lot better after its renovation

new-tower.jpg

walking along Orange Avenue

orange-street-level.jpg

the Globe restaurant & bar on Wall Street

wall-street-2.jpg

Hudges Supply's new corporate headquarters in Parramore

hudges-supply.jpg

the History Center on Central Blvd.

history-center.jpg

the new City view apartments in Parramore

city-view-apartments.jpg

driving on Church Street

church-street.jpg

the Plaza project contruction site

the-plaza.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando is growing on me.

I grew up there, but disavowed it once I moved to Miami, did some travelling and saw what cities were about.

Those Parramore projects are interesting. Those are on the "other" side of I-4 right?

Glad to see the area getting some attention. Is there any revitalization or is it all new projects?

I'll have to visit downtown next time I'm up there.

thanks for the comments guys. Orlando is growing on me too, and I've lived in Central Florida for most of my life disliking it. Unfortunately, Parramore seems like its going to be leveled for new downtown projects. While I love that developers are interesting in the area, I would like to see some parts of it remain an african-american neighborhood because I think it adds to the diversity and culture of the city. I also don't want to see the city become completely Disneyfied.

I agree completely lakelander.

It's a similar situation being talked about with Overtown down here.

I don't what the solution is, other than try to preserve important cultural structures and give the community a voice in how and where projects are built. Maybe if they convinced the developers to keep the name Parramore instead of trying to associate everything with "downtown" it would go a long way to creating a sense of neighborhood and including everybody, old and new residents alike, in the growth.

I agree completely lakelander.

It's a similar situation being talked about with Overtown down here.

I don't what the solution is, other than try to preserve important cultural structures and give the community a voice in how and where projects are built. Maybe if they convinced the developers to keep the name Parramore instead of trying to associate everything with "downtown" it would go a long way to creating a sense of neighborhood and including everybody, old and new residents alike, in the growth.

This situation is a problem all across the US as our downtowns begin to get popular again. I believe whatever way the government decides to improve I-395 and get the homeless from under the bridges will go a long way in reviving Overtown.

In Orlando, Parramore is already a shell of what it once was. It has suffered greatly from the city allowing automotive, industrial warehouse uses, and several large homeless shelters to operate next to the residences over the past couple of decades. While change is inevitable, I'd like the city to at least make an effort to preserve the scene along Parramore Avenue, save the couple of historically & culurally significant buildings left, and promote affordable housing in the area.

There are no new projects going on in Parramore right now.

FAMU College of Law, Federal Courthouse, new polics HQ will be too far away from the "real PArramore district" to make a difference.

The only thing happening there is a new 6 acre central park which the city hopes will bring good fortune to the parramore distrcit like Lake Eola did to Eola District.

Mayor Dyer wants to rezoned the Parramore area to allow high density development.

A report to revitalized the Parramore district is on the making and a very influential person are going make sure that those plans will be achieved. I dont remember his name but I read about it somewhere. He said that the city has enough money to do that.

I thought that FAMU college of Law had already breakground but I did not see any construction going on there.

I think Orlando is definitely a city that grows on you over time, I've lived in Orlando my whole life, totally hating it, and now I'm in college in Boston and I miss it A LOT. I miss Florida in general, for many reasons that I can't explain because most people just wouldn't understand. Every new announcement of a project for Orlando gets me even more excited to return because the city is moving in the right direction, and at a pretty fast pace.

Archived