Arkansas River Catz

mcheiss

Arkansas's third ABA Team is now in the city of Pine Bluff. Pine Bluff is home to the Arkansas River Catz. The professional basketball team will play its home games in the 6,500-seat arena of the Pine Bluff Convention Center. The season is scheduled to begin on Nov. 10, with 18 home games and the Elite 8 championship games to be played at Pine Bluff. Hard to believe that three ABA teams are now in Arkansas.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas's third ABA Team is now in the city of Pine Bluff. Pine Bluff is home to the Arkansas River Catz. The professional basketball team will play its home games in the 6,500-seat arena of the Pine Bluff Convention Center. The season is scheduled to begin on Nov. 10, with 18 home games and the Elite 8 championship games to be played at Pine Bluff. Hard to believe that three ABA teams are now in Arkansas.

Yet another victim-in-the-making for the ABA. I pity the fool who does not read about the history of the ABA before sinking in a $20,000 franchise fee.

It is...isn't it....

I'm sure they just couldn't find a venue in LR. Alltel is way too busy and the rent's too high and UALR's gym is dedicated to only UALR basketball. Barton would be reasonable but I don't think they could afford it with 500 fans a game. If Barton said "no" I'm sure that's how they ended up in PB. Actually they might do OK there if the league holds together.

Yeah that does sound like the team that was supposed to play in Little Rock. Never a good sign when you have to move to Pine Bluff to play. I can't see people from Little Rock going to Pine Bluff to watch. Maybe I'm wrong on that. They might be better off in Jonesboro or Ft Smith. Although maybe Ft Smith might be a little too close since there will be a team in NWA.

Yeah that does sound like the team that was supposed to play in Little Rock. Never a good sign when you have to move to Pine Bluff to play. I can't see people from Little Rock going to Pine Bluff to watch. Maybe I'm wrong on that. They might be better off in Jonesboro or Ft Smith. Although maybe Ft Smith might be a little too close since there will be a team in NWA.

Nobody was going with the NBADL team in LR. Crain and the Rimrockers were the poster child for the ABA in its first season but teams were cancelling their season, not having funds to travel to games, etc. It was just a Mickey Mouse operation. Even though the team set minor league basketball attendance records at the end of the year it was clear the ABA had to be abandoned.

I don't think any of these ABA teams will do well but Pine Bluff deserves a shot. They always supported the King Cotton and UA games when they were down there. There's not a lot to do in Pine Bluff and I think people will go to the games as much as they will in other places in the rinky dink league.

Nobody was going with the NBADL team in LR. Crain and the Rimrockers were the poster child for the ABA in its first season but teams were cancelling their season, not having funds to travel to games, etc. It was just a Mickey Mouse operation. Even though the team set minor league basketball attendance records at the end of the year it was clear the ABA had to be abandoned.

I don't think any of these ABA teams will do well but Pine Bluff deserves a shot. They always supported the King Cotton and UA games when they were down there. There's not a lot to do in Pine Bluff and I think people will go to the games as much as they will in other places in the rinky dink league.

True, I just wonder were there be enough population left in Pine Bluff to support a team. I'm not sure that people outside of Pine Bluff will help support a team there. But as you said, they do deserve a shot.

True, I just wonder were there be enough population left in Pine Bluff to support a team. I'm not sure that people outside of Pine Bluff will help support a team there. But as you said, they do deserve a shot.

Pine Bluff does deserve a shot. Maybe having some former Razorbacks and Golden Lions on the team will help it draw some crowds.

I don't know if an ABA team could have competed with the NBADL team. The Rimrockers are more legit b/c they are supported by the NBA and the NBA is trying to develop a true minor league. The Rimrockers led the league in attendance last year. I know I would rather go see the Rimrockers play at Alltel than to see the River Catz play a Barton. I hope that they do well in Pine Bluff.

Pine Bluff does deserve a shot. Maybe having some former Razorbacks and Golden Lions on the team will help it draw some crowds.

I don't know if an ABA team could have competed with the NBADL team. The Rimrockers are more legit b/c they are supported by the NBA and the NBA is trying to develop a true minor league. The Rimrockers led the league in attendance last year. I know I would rather go see the Rimrockers play at Alltel than to see the River Catz play a Barton. I hope that they do well in Pine Bluff.

I wonder what Ken Biley is up to these days...

Archived