Governors Drive West "revitalization"

jmanhsv

The Huntsville Times believes there's a revitalization in progress on Governors Drive West. And the city is creating a West-Central Master Plan to guide the efforts. Huntsville Times article: All's not quiet on the western front

Though it would be great to see Huntsville's only blighted area get a much needed revitalization, I'm not too sure that it's happening just yet. I don't see the Governors/Clinton/Triana intersection becoming the next 5 Points for at least another decade or so. Crime is too high in the area.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that area sees a revitalization. I've never felt "scared" driving throught that area, but it is very run down. If you were to look at it on a map, it is a great location, right between downtown and the research park. A lot of the houses back in those neighborhoods could have a lot of charm with some $ put into them. However, I agree with jmanhsv, a decade to turn that area around would be a miracle.

This an interesting area, especially Triana Blvd which intersects Governors. The area between Governors and Bob Wallace has some very unique buildings that would make for a great eclectic strip of shops, cafes, restaurants if it could be done. The old theater, and old retail building would be a good starting point for revitalization. The housing in this area is ripe for a makeover and the location is good. There are unsavory elements at the moment but overall it has a bright future. The new Cancer research building between Holmes and Governors will help. The old Brooks Motel is a neat throwback that is still viable. If Governors itself was improved with landscaping, better lighting, sidewalks etc then this would encourage more development.

The Huntsville Times believes there's a revitalization in progress on Governors Drive West. And the city is creating a West-Central Master Plan to guide the efforts. Huntsville Times article: All's not quiet on the western front

Though it would be great to see Huntsville's only blighted area get a much needed revitalization, I'm not too sure that it's happening just yet. I don't see the Governors/Clinton/Triana intersection becoming the next 5 Points for at least another decade or so. Crime is too high in the area.

I think North Parkway between Oakwood and Mastin Lake would challenge for the title as a blighted area.

It has change coming however with the mile long overpass waiting to be constructed.

Don't get in any hurry ALDOT, SLOOOOW Down. Your moving way too fast -_-

I think North Parkway between Oakwood and Mastin Lake would challenge for the title as a blighted area.

It has change coming however with the mile long overpass waiting to be constructed.

Don't get in any hurry ALDOT, SLOOOOW Down. Your moving way too fast -_-

Well, we all know ALDOT's history in projects. In Decatur, the problems are called, "drainage problems".

• 5 weeks later...

Merrimack Village makeover, the old retail building will be redone as an entertainment/ arts center, and restored to it's former self. This building is located on Triana Blvd. This may be the switch to turn this area on.

Some great old houses in this area. More info to come.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

5592466_BG1.jpg

Archived