Boston ICA opening

Carter711

The new home of the Boston Institute of Contemporary Arts is set to open soon. Although its grand-opening was pushed back from Sept. 17, it should be all open in October, or November. Perched on the South Boston waterfront with great views of the Boston skyline, it is the first major museum building built in the city in 100 years.

NorthwestSS2.jpg

E_Facade%20copySS.jpg

Harborwalk_night%20copySS2.jpg

• 2 months later...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I checked it out last weekend. The building is totally cool. It's got a glass elevator and huge plate glass windows overlooking the water. It's also pretty dramatic how the upper stories overhang the plaza on the water side. The art show was pretty interesting as well: how new technologies allow us to see beyond visible reality making us kind of like superheroes with xray vision.

It will be interesting to see how this part of the Boston waterfront, now largely parking lots, develops around the ICA. Now it has a kind of weird isolation but that will soon change no doubt.

• 8 months later...

Well, 3 out of 4 sides look great...the view from the parking lot is pretty bad, especially with the bubbling paint.

Hopefully when Fan Pier is completed, you won't be able to be that far from the ICA and see it on that side. Being forced to stand closer to the building would probably help it.

I hate the roof line. When making such clean lines and such a deliberate shape, why couldn't they have found a better solution for the mechanicals? It looks like they designed the building then all of a sudden remembered that they needed HVAC.

The architect Diller Scodifio + Renfro have been tapped to do the Creative Arts Building at Brown University in Providence. So the ICA (and how unimpressed I am by it), have me interested.

Does this building remind anyone else of the old Polaroid cameras - the ones that fold up?

Archived