Aerial Tour of Michigan's Capital City

RustTown

I found these great aerials of Michigan's capital city taken by Clayton Busbey (http://www.flickr.com/photos/claytonbusbey/). They look to have been taken recently to a year-and-a-half or so ago. They show off some views I've been trying to find for quite some time...

Looking slightly northeast

234727153_684430acf8_b.jpg

Looking west

234714470_17ca647a4e_o.jpg

Michigan State University's Sports Campus looking north

234714472_85ce365077_b.jpg

I wish there were more.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do wonders and wilson remind anyone else of the fighter planes from star wars?

lol! They really do. I never realized that. They look like the TIE fighters. lol

statedude,

I just realize that all three of the photos seem to have been taken at different times. The first one is the oldest. But, I'm not sure it's a full 2 years old as Boji Complex/Capitol View looks completely finished on its exterior. But, Prudden Place hadn't even started nor had Motor Wheels. I can't seem to remember when these were started for some reason.

The second and last ones seems as if it could have been taken even this year.

I know this is really not that important, but I'm really a nerd for dates.

The MSU picture must be early last year, as the North Campus ramp looks like it is very early in construction, the steam pipe replacements along Shaw Lane have not begun, and the S150 is still painted on the Spartan Stadium field (it was removed in November after the football season).

Also, the 2nd picture is hard to tell. The renovation of the fire station across the street from LCC at Shiawasee and Grand does not appear to be renovated yet.

Sorry for wasting time and bw...I really should get a life. :lol:

Wolverine, it may be more narrow than you thought, but I think it's the angle. When you're looking at the skyline from the east you can see how far it really is from the Capitol Loop. The first view is probably one of the less flattering angles of the skyline (north/south or south/north). The east/west shows the full spread, though it blocks out the entire capitol complex hidden behind the CBD.

I-496 is (obviously) a big reason why the GM campus feels so distant and isolated from downtown.

BTW, I was looking at an old Lansing map, labled by neighborhood and noticed a section called "Little Italy". It appeared to be in an area now taken over by 496. Does anyone have any information about this area? I didnt find much in online and library searches.

I-496 is (obviously) a big reason why the GM campus feels so distant and isolated from downtown.

BTW, I was looking at an old Lansing map, labled by neighborhood and noticed a section called "Little Italy". It appeared to be in an area now taken over by 496. Does anyone have any information about this area? I didnt find much in online and library searches.

Can you be more specific? 496 isn't long, but it's long enough were I'd like to know an intersection. I'd never heard of it.

BTW, I found this awesome photo on Flickr, today, showing the demolition progress of the old Lansing Car Assembly Plant #1. It just shows how incredibly large it is, and gives you an idea of how much larger the new Grand River Assembly directly adjacent to it actually is:

258008371_4915633e33_b.jpg

churl - http://www.flickr.com/photos/churl/

Big Version:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=258008371&size=o

The location on the map, if I recall correctly was in the area roughly around Pine/Walnut/Washington area east to about the river. I do know that some residential areas were taken out near the river when the freeway was built, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

I'm going to stop by my grandparents place and see if I can get that map from them to scan tomorrow. I found this really interesting, as it is perhaps a forgotten piece of Lansing heritage.

Speaking of freeways and such, did you know that the Aurelius Viaduct over the train tracks, the Red Cedar, and 496 was originally supposed to be much more grand and go all the way to Oakland/Saginaw, I think it was? Supposedly, they ran out of money because they didn't get a government grant to complete it. You can tell it was supposed to be more grand by how large it starts out, but how gets narrow VERY quickly once you get over the bridge and it turns into Clemens Street, a tiny residental street.

Speaking of freeways and such, did you know that the Aurelius Viaduct over the train tracks, the Red Cedar, and 496 was originally supposed to be much more grand and go all the way to Oakland/Saginaw, I think it was? Supposedly, they ran out of money because they didn't get a government grant to complete it. You can tell it was supposed to be more grand by how large it starts out, but how gets narrow VERY quickly once you get over the bridge and it turns into Clemens Street, a tiny residental street.

I did not know this. Was this before the Clemens St. neighborhood was around? Considering how wide that viaduct is on the southern end, it would have wiped out about 2 city blocks in quite a dense neighborhood. It also would have affected quite a bit, I'm sure the feel of Michigan Avenue...not to mention it would have wiped out Emils, and that would never be a good thing.

It was built shortly after the freeway and was supposed to be a 4-5 lane main street and carry through to Wood St. I beleive all houses fronting clemens on one side were supposed to be razed, but nothing more than that. The major reason it didn't happn was because of residents fighting it, My Grandma lived in one of the houses on Clemens at that time.

Thanks for the correction, Hood. I thought it was because of lack of funding.

Anyway, it would have probably taken out, eventually, more than just a block. With sidewalks and such infastructure that would accompany the street, as well as the fact that it probably would have been slightly elevated before it hit Michigan Avenue, it would have most likely taken out much more. I'm glad it wasn't built, though I wish Wood Street would connect Grand River and Saginaw.

Archived