Jackalope Jacks on 7th Street

Ryepow

I heard a rumor that the owner of Jackalope Jacks on 7th Street and several other neighbors has sold or is selling their properties to make way for a large condo development. That would be a shame if true since Jack's is a great sports bar and restaurant and has helped make that part of 7th street a popular alternative to uptown. If you haven't gone, you should. They even have a good brunch. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this rumor?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard this a while back as well. So, are La-Dee-Da's, the Philosopher's Stone, and the consignment shop all facing the wrecking ball too? I hate that the fabric of that small stretch of 7th is about to be destroyed. Even if they replace Jack's in some first floor retail space, it won't be the same. There's just something about going to a "local joint" below someone's living room that's weird and artificial to me. I'm not saying that's the plan, I'm just sayin'....

How horribly depressing. I really love that stretch of 7th because it actually feels like a "city" and has some diversity. But this is Charlotte and this town is destined to be completely overrun by sterile "hip" condos devoid of any real life at all. There are no sacred cows here: Athen, Coffee Cup, RIP etc etc. At this rate The Penguin, Common Market and that whole strip will be torn out for condos too sooner rather than later. Sad.

I'd say the problem in my eyes is that Charlotte was a small city during the periods of great urban design. Now that urbanism is once again gaining hold, the areas that contain "authentic" urbanism, are too low of density compared to their current value.

If Charlotte has been a bigger city at round 1900, then places like the coffee cup and athens would exist on the ground floor of buildings that could be renovated and still remain competitive in the market.

Archived