Restaurants in the city

ctman987

just what restaurants is boston known for? i'm really curious. surely not the north end, because any italian in providence (aside from maybe the pastry shops) can beat any of boston's north end (mike's is the exception). don't even get me started on legal seafoods, which is mediocre and overpriced.

Boston has numerous restaraunts and chefs known among foodie circles, including three recently nominated for Beard Foundation best new restaraunt northeast, two on Gourmets top 50, numerous cookbook authors and one or two national TV shows. I'm not saying they are worhty of the attention but they do get it. If you really wanted me to start naming them I could but I might sound like a foodie, which I am, but who else really looks for "known" restaraunts anyway?

I would also say that Providence is known among foodie circles, perhaps especially for it's Italian, but have you eaten in every restaraunt in the North End? In Providence? I doubt it, so it seems a bit much to suggest that every Providence Italian restaraunt surpasses the North End or vice versa. These type of generalizations always seem a bit much.

As for Mike Pastry, please, talk about mediocre, this is probably the BIGGEST tourist trap in the North End. Next time, walk down Hanover street, avoid the lines and try Modern...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston is not known for it's restaurants.

Plenty of people do, you are simply ignorant.

I'm not going to retract anything, and if you continue being snitty toward a moderator you will get resistance in your ability to remain a member of this forum.

i expected your responses. rather childish to threaten. what you do matters no more to me than your whole restaurant rant.

Boston has numerous restaraunts and chefs known among foodie circles, including three recently nominated for Beard Foundation best new restaraunt northeast, two on Gourmets top 50, numerous cookbook authors and one or two national TV shows. I'm not saying they are worhty of the attention but they do get it. If you really wanted me to start naming them I could but I might sound like a foodie, which I am, but who else really looks for "known" restaraunts anyway?

I would also say that Providence is known among foodie circles, perhaps especially for it's Italian, but have you eaten in every restaraunt in the North End? In Providence? I doubt it, so it seems a bit much to suggest that every Providence Italian restaraunt surpasses the North End or vice versa. These type of generalizations always seem a bit much.

As for Mike Pastry, please, talk about mediocre, this is probably the BIGGEST tourist trap in the North End. Next time, walk down Hanover street, avoid the lines and try Modern...

i have not been to every north end restaurant, but it's pretty known that the north end in general is a tourist trap and not really great italian. i'm italian. i have italian family near boston. they agree with me that boston italian is nothing special and not worth making the trip (they'd prefer to go to providence, in fact, they prefer to go to providence for most restaurants over boston). i've had a lot of italian food in my life (obviously since i have italian family).

honestly, the only reason i mentioned mikes was because that's what everyone seems to like. i've never been to another pastry shop in boston, just that one. it's not bad, but nothing special. but it was better than the food (of course i love cannoli's, so they come first). same goes for ferarra's in new york. it's ok, but nothing special. i actually really like the pastry's from libby's in new haven. but for italian food, meals... providence is the place. pizza is obviously new haven, although we got some good ones here. i've never had a good pizza in boston.

but overall, i think providence is better known for restaurants than boston. boston might have some well known restaurants, but on a whole (per capita perhaps), providence has a higher percentage.

i expected your responses. rather childish to threaten. what you do matters no more to me than your whole restaurant rant.

Then you don't mind being suspended for 2 days. As you can see, it wasn't a threat. I'm tired of the people who are well behaved and able to converse as adults having to put up with people who can't.

And I do appreciate everyone who comes here to have interesting discussions.

i have not been to every north end restaurant, but it's pretty known that the north end in general is a tourist trap and not really great italian.

One loses credibility with statements like "pretty much known", known by who? Based upon personal experience I agree that much of the North End is overrated, but there are at least a few very good restaraunts that could equal or beat some of those in Providence.

but overall, i think providence is better known for restaurants than boston. boston might have some well known restaurants, but on a whole (per capita perhaps), providence has a higher percentage..

Please name a "well known" Providence restaraunt, or chef, since it seems to be your expertise other than Italian would be preferred.

honestly, the only reason i mentioned mikes was because that's what everyone seems to like. i've never been to another pastry shop in boston, just that one. it's not bad, but nothing special. ..

If you should ever be in the North End again, try Modern Pastry, they fill your Cannoli shell to order.. yum

That's why Front Street is so vital. Arguably, without the mall, we wouldn't be seeing the growth in Providence we're seeing now. The state subsidized the mall making it possible to get major brands into the city. We've had years of success with the mall, and now we're seeing the brands spread out of the mall. The mall tied to Providence's convention center and they fed off each other, just as Front Street will do in Hartford. You don't need to subsidize the brands, just their landlords.

I agree here. It is critical Front Street get developed soon, and properly.

Heh, I'd respond to some of the hypocritical nonsense going on in this thread, which no longer has to do with Hartford btw, but it's difficult to have an even disagreement when one side can ban posters, and the other can't.....

No one has been banned, and there are no sides.

I am not sure what is the point here. I was talking about national chains base their restaurant opening decision on stats and Hartford's demographic profile is not favorable in the eyes of corporate site selectors. I said nothing about convention organizers.

The first thing you have to realize is that even though I quoted you, you aren't the only one posting in this thread and some things are intended to a broader audience. Call it lazy if you want but I find many multiple quote posts to be excessively annoying to read, and I also don't like to have 6 posts in a row responding to different folks.

Look, when a large convention is in town, any town, most restaurants are busy, national chains or indies. If there is a convention everyday in Hartford, then we will have a much bigger restaurant /night life, and Front Street would be built in no time. But that is not how it is.
The implication is that convention bookers are more willing to look into a place where they can sell the town and these chains can help do that, so maybe you start getting a convention everyday.

No one has been banned, and there are no sides.

If we're going to have the metadiscussion:

I'm on the side where it would be nice for Hartford guys to stop dumping on Providence every chance they get. I live in PVD but read this forum quite a bit since I have a bunch of family in the GH area and this is a constant annoyance to me. If Cotuit acts in a way that lowers the Providence/Hartford rhetoric, I'm all for it.

I'm on the side where it would be nice for Hartford guys to stop dumping on Providence every chance they get. I live in PVD but read this forum quite a bit since I have a bunch of family in the GH area and this is a constant annoyance to me. If Cotuit acts in a way that lowers the Providence/Hartford rhetoric, I'm all for it.

A lot of people are sick of a lot of things, you may now join the club.

What little rumbling erupts from time to time between Hartford and Providence is nothing compared to some other areas of the country on UP. Look in the Missouri section for some of the old KC vs StL threads (that haven't been moved to the trash). Thems crazy! :ph34r:

Cotuit, I respect the volunteer time you put in and agree with many decisions you make as a moderator, but I have to say, your suspension of blackstone seems to be borderline censorship or personal vendetta and a little uncalled for.

You're entitled to your opinion. But you should know that was not his first strike. I do not enjoy disciplining people, mostly because it's annoying to be questioned on it and have my own character called into question after the fact.

Another resturant is coming to Hartford. Euro Cafe just took the empty space in Residence Marriott, next to Dunkin' Donuts. It will be a full fledge bakery cafe with soups, sandwiches and coffees. Wonder if Dunkin' Donuts forgot to put a none competing business clause in their lease :lol: .

Another resturant is coming to Hartford. Euro Cafe just took the empty space in Residence Marriott, next to Dunkin' Donuts. It will be a full fledge bakery cafe with soups, sandwiches and coffees. Wonder if Dunkin' Donuts forgot to put a none competing business clause in their lease :lol: .

if people in hartford are anything like people here, dunkin' donuts will do just fine.

Awesome...that is definitly some prime space and Euro Cafe will definitly get business from the Residence Inn as well as the UHART students and the people who live at the American Airlines building in the coming years.

Those types of cafe's always do great. Good to see some more business downtown.

Archived