The Pueblo Discussion Thread

Front_Range_Guy

Errr... Steel City. Heh. I have a friend with the last name Steele.

I tend to think of Colorado Springs as Colorado's mostly underrated city, mostly because people only tend to see the bad... the sprawl in the east and north, and the handful of right wing radicals that constantly open their mouths and make our city look bad, meanwhile completely ignoring the gems the community has to offer like certain parts of downtown, the west side and Manitou Springs.

All that said, realistically, Pueblo is probably the states most underrated. In the last 10 years the city has managed to build a convention center (something Colorado Springs has not been able to do), and a massive river walk project that truly is revitalizing downtown. Recently Pueblo has also done an excellent job of attracting jobs downtown. This short article from koaa.com highlights that fact.

http://www.koaa.com/news/view.asp?ID=5696

I watched the story on KOAA-TV last night, and they also mentioned plans for a new loft development in the area.

This thread will be a good place to discuss all things P-Town.

Good Pueblo news resources include www.koaa.com and www.chieftain.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been but I've checked out a little on the internet. I had a coworker from there and heard him talk about Pueblo quite a bit. Overall I guess it tends to get overlooked because I think it has a 'blue collar' feel to it. At least that's the impression I've gotten. But from what I've seen on the internet it seems to have a number of projects going on that looked interesting. Maybe it can get around it's current image.

What I know about Pueblo:

• It's where you write to get that free government catalog....

• It's where the Food Network show, "Unwrapped," is filmed...

That's about it. I'm going to have to get down there for a visit one day and check it out first hand. The HARP looks pretty darned cool, from what I've seen of it online. :shades: If you manage to get some photos, please share! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Ok I've been doing some research on Pueblo. The only thing concrete I can find on it at this point is that it's population is 103k. the city is 45sq mi which is pretty much exactly the same land area as Grand Rapids Michigan. However I don't see much evidence of a metropolitan area outside of the city limits. It seems for the most part that the city starts and and ends within itself.

What are initially the reasons the city grew to a population of over 100k, and what are the industries in it now?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in Pueblo yesterday on the way to Colorado Springs. It took longer to get up there than I had hoped so I didn't have much time and had to hurry a bit.

I did check out the Riverwalk and Downtown areas, even some of South Pueblo. Very cool. I was surprised that the Downtown area had that much going on.

Colorado Springs was great though. I think I could live there. I ended up staying at the Econo Lodge Downtown on Nevada, which is actually a great hotel for the money (free wired internet, full cable, walking distance to Downtown and Colorado College). I walked down to Tejon and ended up at that brewery right next to the Palmer Center (Pikes Peak Brewery maybe?). I also drove out to Garden of the Gods, Colorado City and Manitou Springs. It seems like a much larger city than it actually is. Love the little neighborhoods back there though.

I was in Pueblo yesterday on the way to Colorado Springs. It took longer to get up there than I had hoped so I didn't have much time and had to hurry a bit.

I did check out the Riverwalk and Downtown areas, even some of South Pueblo. Very cool. I was surprised that the Downtown area had that much going on.

Colorado Springs was great though. I think I could live there. I ended up staying at the Econo Lodge Downtown on Nevada, which is actually a great hotel for the money (free wired internet, full cable, walking distance to Downtown and Colorado College). I walked down to Tejon and ended up at that brewery right next to the Palmer Center (Pikes Peak Brewery maybe?). I also drove out to Garden of the Gods, Colorado City and Manitou Springs. It seems like a much larger city than it actually is. Love the little neighborhoods back there though.

• 11 months later...

Archived