Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are places in this city for this type of development. This location is not one of them. Of course, it'll get built, and most of the units will either sit unsold, be bought by flippers who end up renting them, or siphon buyers from the 47 other condo units going up. Some nameless, faceless developer dude will get rich(er) and we'll lose the view that named the city.

I guess that's what passes for a fair trade these days.

What are we worried about? No Richmond development ever goes as planned. They'll run out of money as usual and they'll end up lowering the height of the building that way. Heck they may just build one half of it and let the other half sit forever.

Story on NBC12 tonight that said the City was against Echo Harbour and that they would need more information on it and the Historic Richmond Foundation was totally against it and was putting the heat on the project. I couldn't find the story on their website but saw it on the News. Maybe we can get Rdaudani to explain it to us next time he's on here since he reported it.

City Planners express concerns about Riverfront Tower Proposal...

I think the city is asking the right questions and looking to address the right issues regarding this project.

Richmond planning officials object to a developer's proposal for two 18-story towers near the bend in the James River below Church Hill.

They said they are concerned such large buildings would block river views and discourage pedestrian access to the James. They also cited worries about the impact on the city's sewers and on other access to the river....

In their letter, city officials said they didn't support the developers' request to rezone the property and to exceed a 150-foot cap on building heights.

The letter said the city in the spring had recommended that the developers pursue a more modestly scaled project.

The developers' proposal "creates an auto-focused, rather than pedestrian-focused development" with "an uninviting and exclusive image to the public."....

I love Richmond!

It would sit on the Pear Street outflow. I took a pic on top of it. The land has to become something, but every proposal that floats along shouldn't be captured at first sight.

First you hate Richmond then you love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Echo Harbour receives cool reception from City

A proposal to build a pair of condo towers along the James River got a cool reception from the city. But developers behind the Echo Harbour project hope they can convince the city to approve the plans. The city's letter was highly critical. Echo Harbour's response didn't offer many consolations. In fact, they said they would offer more details at a later point and defended the size of their project. The plan to build two 18-story towers along the James River has stirred up a whirlpool of controversy.....

It would be nice to be able to see a full rendering of the project...

Whatever one thinks about Echo Harbor, there is a paradox about perception of lost views that drives me up the wall.

Several pictures of the famous "Two Richmonds Riverbend" show the ugly silos NOT blocking that view. Even seeing the photos and being told over and over that the towers would be up river, there are still some who insist the sacred view would be obliterated. It is amazing how some perceptions persist.

On a related subject, I mentioned in another post that 2 passenger vessels were calling at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal this month. Perhaps in the future these two ships and others could dock at Echo Harbor making Richmond more of a tourist port.

Whatever one thinks about Echo Harbor, there is a paradox about perception of lost views that drives me up the wall.

Several pictures of the famous "Two Richmonds Riverbend" show the ugly silos NOT blocking that view. Even seeing the photos and being told over and over that the towers would be up river, there are still some who insist the sacred view would be obliterated. It is amazing how some perceptions persist.

On a related subject, I mentioned in another post that 2 passenger vessels were calling at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal this month. Perhaps in the future these two ships and others could dock at Echo Harbor making Richmond more of a tourist port.

I agree with you burt. I was thinking the same thing about the silo's that are a part of the so called view. Some people need to stop there whining and do their research.

Take it from me and other residents that actually live on the hill, they hate the silos too, but they do not affect the bend, nor would Echo Harbor. However, 18 stories will obstruct the total view you get. It's like being atop a mountain on Libby Hill and you can see the horizon. That skyline would be destroyed.

• 2 months later...

I've got some news on Echo Harbour

The City will hear the Developers Building Plans for Echo Harbour on Tuesday. Hope all goes well for them.

I wonder if the developers of Echo Harbour have significantly altered their plans? Maybe we'll hear more and see new renderings after Tuesday's meeting, Joey. Thanks for reminding us to stay on the lookout.

Archived