Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That view point looks awfully low on the hill to me, so I may go check out the site this weekend. I do like the fact that this project sways from other recent projects design-wise and think it will make a nice fill between Rockett's and CBD/Tobacco row. I would rather see the structures broken up a bit, though, so they do not appear so much like a wall. It would be great to see a rendering of this project and Rockett's 15 story condo tower, so we could visually see how they will mix.

Thanks for the link blake.

After watching the video it appears that's indeed what it will look like from the top of Libby Hill Park. I don't know that the Southside view is all that amazing but I can also understand not wantitng to see a "wall" there. I wish there were more options on the table. In hindsight I might be more receptive to a Shockoe Ballpark now that I see nothing else has been put on the drawing board in its place. As much as I enjoy going down there it can use an economic and aesthetic shot in the arm. I just don't want to be saying the same thing 10 years down the road about this project if that property continues to sit unused.

The design is not the worst thing to behold, but the greed the developer has is. Lower the building. Some people may not like the view or think it's all that great, then why build so high so that a select few can get the same view?

I deeply resent this statement. Richmond has many highly qualified architects with degrees from prestigious institutions. I personally know a number of such individuals. I can't personally attest to the merits of every univesity's program, but as a UVA school of architecture student, I can attest to the qualifications of the many Richmond architects with degrees from this institution, which I know from experience does not simply give out "fake degrees."

I second your thoughts as well on resenting cad's closed minded remark.

It seems Mr. Ross will "green" his rooftops -- and some will say his pockets, as well.

The views from the river with the horizontal balconies stretching the full length of each building are quite nice. But as much as I like the idea of cleaning up the riverfront, I do wish something could be done to alleviate the "wall" effect. Perhaps one or two of the towers could be reconfigured perpendicularly to the river with low rise connections, thus opening up some sky space.

Yeah I just noticed the Wall affect too. I think if they broke it up a little more to a more thinner tower it wouldn't be so impacted. But best to my knowledge people still won't be happy no matter what because they have nothing better to do than just gripe about something. Its just like my neighbor the other day she got ticked off at me because my cat was lying down on her yard and plus its an outdoor cat which means all people like to do is gripe about anything because they don't have anything better to do.

People don't complain just to complain with planning issues. Outsiders may enjoy the ideas of new and big, but who's opinions are being tossed aside? Church Hill residents don't oppose building the building, they oppose having the vista obstructed by some schmuck who thinks he doesn't have enough money and would step over anyone to get it. Everyone favors river access and extending the Canal Walk as well as connecting Rocketts with Tobacco Row and downtown, but because one plan comes along doesn't mean you drop everything and go with it just because. The people of Church Hill's opinions should not be tossed aside in favor of outsiders.

Cam there are plenty of people that complain just for the heck of it I mean my neighbor for instance she's old and has nothing better to do. I hate saying that but its the truth. Cam you'll realize that its true theres plenty of people that complain just because they have nothing better to do. But cam theres some people I say if you were to make the biggest adjustments on something then they still would'nt be satisfied. Because thats just the way they are. Oh yeah Cam one other thing why weren't people complaining about Rocketts Landing if it was along the river. I'm going back to JSI's Point. I just don't see how that Woman has Beef with the Echo Harbour Proposal and not with the Cement Silo's

1. Rocketts is far enough away not to impede anyone's view. The point is not about it being along the river, the point is the development practically sits at the bottom of the hill and blocks a view that has been enjoyed for centuries. Libby Hill and Fulton Hill are distant from Rocketts and if someone decided to build a 15-20 story building at the foot of Powhatan Hill Park, Fulton Hill would be up in arms. Look at Oregon Hill's battle with Dominion. They were fearing a wall themselves that would have blocked their view of the river, Belle Isle, and southside. Imagine if the Church Hill overlook had a giant building stretching from Franklin to Broad with a crumb of a window between towers to offer a peek of the city. What good would that be? What if Jefferson Hill Park had a similar building towering at its end? No one would be able to enjoy the viewsheds this city's terrain offers.

2. The silos do not act as a wall at the end of the hill. It's far off in the distance as not to really block the view. If Echo Harbour were to be the height of the silos, which the proposed buildings dwarf, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. Imagine being at Libby Hill Park and what you see directly in front of you is someone's balcony with God knows what going on, or looking straight into someone's condos. They don't really want. Church Hill residents don't particularly like the silos either, but it's an ant compared to this cockroach.

I find it interesting that most of the people who don't understand opposition to this development aren't city residents.

Funny how that works.

Though I lived within Richmond's city limits longer than most of you have been alive, I was as anxious back then as I am today to see the waterfront utilized intelligently. I oppose the wall effect, but would like to see something along the lines of the mid-rise Watergate on that barren strip of land.

Everyone agrees the land should be developed, but they couldn't do 2 stories of deck and maybe 3-5 of living space? It's a long piece of land, there's no real need to go up more than necessary. I was at Libby Hill today and the view is still stunning. People go there for the view. Sad this man wants to rob the city of one of its attractions.

After visiting Libby Hill, walking around the Fulton Gas Works, and checking out the Echo Harbor land, I definitely would like to see the design changed. At the same time, there needs to be a visual link between Rockets and CBD/Tobacco row. Perhaps two taller, but much narrower towers well spread out with a low/mid rise connector. Maybe have the upper floors mostly glass, so it reflects the enviroment around it with the lower floors having a warehouse brick or even stone design. This would eliminate the wall effect and still allow for the same amount of condo units.

Sigh, someone buy me Auto-CAD.

I spent another evening at the park, taking as many pictures as I can before they destroy the view. It's like standing on top of the world. I feel so bad there are evil souls out there willing to leave a scar upon one of the few landscapes of this sort that Richmond offers. DPZ made it a point to accentuate the view from Tree Hill by not blocking it with towers. Why can't Ross take a note from their school of thinking?

The front (side facing the river) looks very nice, the back i'm not that fond of at all. I agree with Coupe, some curvature would be nice and I can definately see what people are talking about with the wall effect. Hideous, no, definately not hideous. Hideous is Fort Norfolk Plaza. I will not offend your eyes by posting a picture of that project here, go to the Norfolk forum if you wish to view that monstrosity. I believe a more apt term for this design is bland (something which has become all too common in the state of Virginia i'm afraid). This is not endgame though, the project will likely go through several iterations before it is built and even once it is built, may not look anything like any rendering they've ever released. Sometimes things turn out better than you expect.

I admit it is an improvement over Watergate. But it still blocks the view from the hill. Imagine the view from Tree Hill with that glorious panorama of the city blocked by a giant wall? The only people who will enjoy the panoramic view from Libby Hill to the horizon will be those who live in the building. Now, people on the hill can see for miles and this thing should be scaled back even more. It should be built, but darn it make it even with the hill at least!

Joey a lot of the architecture that Richmond gets is drab and lacks vision. That communications tower would have been grand had it been built. The twin to the Main St Centre would have been nice. he first drawing of what would become Vistas was majestic. The buildings replacing the Murphy and the Nursing School are neat... but then Richmond has architects from backwoods "colleges" who hand out fake degrees and make these people think they can draw a building. Next, everyone would support towers at the base of Jefferson Hill and Taylor Hill parks, because money speaks volumes over viewsheds.

Let me clear this up, when I said hideous, it was not about the design. It hideously scars the landscape!!!!!!! My attack on Richmond architects was the response to Joey's question about architecture.

Vdogg the only way this could turn out better than I expect is if Lord Ross lops off 5 or 6 stories. There is a lot of land there that would make horizontal development better. And instead of condos, I'd much rather favor a riverside hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived