Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justiceham

W.O. Smith Music School

18 posts in this topic

Great news for Nashville area kids, the W.O. Smith Music School will open its doors in an abandoned garage on 8th Avenue South.

Please elaborate on what this is. I dont have a clue and would like to hear more.

I'm sure this is actually the W. O. Smith School of Music. I don't know much about the new school, but W.O. Smith was an accomplished musician, educated in the finest schools and has a storied history here in Nashville (and elsewhere). I'll investigate the school, but in the meantime, here's the intro to Dr. Smith.

http://www.tnstate.edu/library/digital/smithw.htm

This was on Channel 4 last night, it's a school where kids can go and get music lessons for only 50 cents. It's being promoted by Wynona, and many others.

Here is a shot fo the school under construction @ 8th and Edgefield.

IMG_4855.jpg

I love hearing about schools being developed in the downtown area. Having children in the area gives downtown a more family-oriented feel. I am also in favor of any project replacing an abandoned garage. I hope downtown Nashville has more schools developed downtown. Hume-Fogg is the prototype (I hope they build the gymnasium over the surface parking lot behind the school).

I love hearing about schools being developed in the downtown area. Having children in the area gives downtown a more family-oriented feel. I am also in favor of any project replacing an abandoned garage. I hope downtown Nashville has more schools developed downtown. Hume-Fogg is the prototype (I hope they build the gymnasium over the surface parking lot behind the school).

hah i don't want you to pay when you park; i was just saying that more from an attractive downtown standpoint..

HA! I was wondering when or if someone here was going to mention something about this school. Like my name here implies -I'm a composer (I'm going to be attending berklee college of music next fall) and I live right up the road from this school - within walking distance. Naturally, I was very exited when I saw the sign next to the road saying that a new school was getting built but I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it was going to be a MUSIC school. Go Nashville! The arts are always the first to get cut from the budget so it's nice to see something like this.

As for the school, it isnt exactally downtown. I mean it is but its a long walking distance from the central buisness district (probably around a 30 minute walk i would guess). Plus you would have to walk straight through... uh... a questionable area. :scared: It's really in a grey area where some would say it's downtown and others would say that it's barely in the 'burbs... in this case, Berry Hill.

It does look like it's going to be a nice school though.

Its not really in Berry Hill but rather in the Edgehill community (maybe on the fringe) on the corner of 8th and Edgehill. That area is in transition for the best but I agree there are some questionable areas over there because of the projects and section 8 housing. I agree it is going to be a great additon for the area.

The WO smith fantastic organization that caters to low income children who are have an interest in music but are not able to afford instruments or lessons. They were recently featured on the morning show Today where over 100,00 dollars of music and office supplies were donated.

Other facts from the school are:

*students attend schools across Nashville including 13 of the 16 high schools, 30 of 36 middle schools, and 26 of 73 elementary schools. That

Thanks for the valuable information beta245 and welcome to the forum.

The school is a great organization and deserves a lot more recognition for what it does for our city.

Looking forward to seeing more post from you as well.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this concept, but I HATE the giant concrete wall that will be surrounding it. There goes any chance of this neighborhood ever becoming a pleasant walkable area. This school had the chance to become the focal point of the community, but instead it has chosen to separate itself from it with an East-Berlin style wall. It's unfortunate, but I'm still glad that the school is setting up shop.

Took a tour last night of Bauer{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Askew's job. Solid work. Nicely detailed. Excuse the crudeness of the photos...they were taken with my phone.

The side faces 8th

01.jpg

Large lobby to act as prefunction space and waiting area

02.jpg

The round concrete part on the corner is suppose to represent a drum. The curtainwall: a violin. I'm assuming this wall has something to do with piano keys.

03.jpg

This elevation parallels edgehill. This is where the cars used to dive into.

04.jpg

Entry

05.jpg

Inside the drum

06.jpg

Oculus in the drum

07.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics! The drum rotunda is a really cool touch. That stretch of 8th needs some touches of interesting architecture to inspire hope.

Thanks for posting the pics! The drum rotunda is a really cool touch. That stretch of 8th needs some touches of interesting architecture to inspire hope.

What a great project for this area in Nashville! It's great to see new schools going up near the city center. And it's looking good, too!