Church Street: Nashville's "Gay District?"

ariesjow

My best friend just visited me from Nashville and we discussed the city's blossoming gay and lesbian community around Church St. She pointed out that another gay bar opened recently just off of Church St. called Lucky's Garage. Lucky's joins a growing list of gay and lesbian venues/establishments around Church St (Outloud Bookstore, Play, Tribe, Blu, Blue Genes, Excess, etc.). There is also a LGBT publication called Church Street Freedom Press.

Here are my questions. Given the growth all around Nashville's Midtown, do you guys feel residential developments will soon follow the LGBT buinesses popping up around Nashville's Church Street? Has there been much media attention, if any at all, to the LGBT progress on Church St.? If so, has the attention been positive or negative? What about your personal perceptions of this street's growth? What other type of developments do you envision for this area?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Church Street runs a couple of miles through Nashville and thus has several districts. Church Street in the Central Business District encompasses several high-rise buildings (residential and commercial). The street continues on as it crosses over I-40/65 and contains the clubs you mentioned plus a Hustler store. Finally it continues through a medical district.

As far as I know there has been minimal media attention in the main stream press. I live on Church and find it to be a great place to live...growing and changing daily.

I had dinner with a friend of mine at Red Saturday night. It was my first trip through the bar, Tribe. I wanted to try this restaurant partly because it was gay-operated, and partly because it just looked cool through the windows. It's a far cry from the World's End which prospered on Church St. for years. I enjoyed the W.E. except the food was marginal at best. Going on 54, I can assure you I'm not going to make a habit of bar-hopping, but I was quite impressed with what I saw. Tribe was very, very nice and the clientele (however much of a clientele would be there at 7:30 p.m.) was quite sophisticated acting and looking. The restaurant is quite a little gem. My service was good, the food was good, the prices were unbelieveably reasonable. The patio area out back was a true oasis. Basically, what I'm saying is that if this is the type of businesses springing up along Church, then bring 'em on. I felt very comforable, very safe, respected and provided with excellent service. Bar personnel were equally as accomodating. Maybe I looked like Dad to them, but in any event, I was impressed. I'm glad to have a nice place to go, have a good meal, be in that environment and be able to get out of the way before heat turns up. I can't do that part anymore. I think as a city, we should be proud of what's going on down there.

I'll leave the reports on the more lively aspects of Church .... to someone else.

And just to mention, there were male/female couples and for all you st8t boys out there, a table with a dozen lovely, lovely young women having a bachelorette dinner. I doubt seriously if the "L" word applied in any way. It truly seemed Nashville is growing up judging from the mix of people I saw.

My belief is that the gay district actually does extend all the way from Church ALL THE WAY to 21st. This being alot of gay friendly/ gay owned restuarants and clubs extend past the hospital. And.. we all know.. its a proven fact that all the 'moes out there know how to fix a crumbling district back up to its high end, ritzy self.

also.. has anyone looked at downtown from Church street... its an amazing view!

Sounds like you had a good experience at Red, Dave. I've never ate at the Red restaurant but I have had a drink at Tribe a few times. I've always managed to have a good time

Can shopping be far behind?

There's some retail already there. The owners of Play had opened up a jean store called Joe's the last time I was in Nashville during the holidays.

Sounds like you had a good experience at Red, Dave. I've never ate at the Red restaurant but I have had a drink at Tribe a few times. I've always managed to have a good time

There's some retail already there. The owners of Play had opened up a jean store called Joe's the last time I was in Nashville during the holidays.

Yes, Red is a nice restaurant and there is a good mix of clientele. No one should feel uncomfortable there. In addition to the good food and reasonable prices, I like the fact that it is quiet - I can't take the loud music. I do suspect that there will be more and more retail opening up that way in the future.

The city should designate the street as a gay neighborhood between I-40 and Centennial Park and create a plan to clean up the streetscape and add lamp posts, possibly with the rainbow flag or symbol.

I don't just support this for a gay neighborhood, I think the city should celebrate other neighborhoods such as promoting streetscapes and signage for the sizable hispanic, middle eastern populations here as well as non-ethnic backgrounds such as doing a streetscape for the arts neighborhoods, etc.

These are the types of things cities like Toronto have done for years that make the city feel more neighborhood oriented.

I'm sure that would go over well in a city as conservative as this one, as well I'm sure the Southern Baptist Convention would just Love to be able to see the 'Gay District' from their building....that would be pretty funny. I both agree and disagree on the whole neighborhood thing....Toronto has lots of designated neighborhoods but go there, and many people believe taht it's overly divided and people don't feel like they belong to Toronto, but to their neighborhood (I read this in the Toronto Star when I was there this summer, they had a big thing on it). I do think a 'little Kurdistan' would be cool, and you can deck out Nolensville Road with flags of Spanish speaking nations.

I think heckles' idea is a great one. You don't have to call it a "Gay" district per-say. Just to keep the bible thumpers off your back. But something to promote and enhance that neighborhood will only help it in the long run. Embracing this lifestyle is in the best intrest of both the non-religious and the deeply-religious of this community. Regardless of your personal feelings on the subject.

I'm sure that would go over well in a city as conservative as this one, as well I'm sure the Southern Baptist Convention would just Love to be able to see the 'Gay District' from their building....that would be pretty funny. I both agree and disagree on the whole neighborhood thing....Toronto has lots of designated neighborhoods but go there, and many people believe taht it's overly divided and people don't feel like they belong to Toronto, but to their neighborhood (I read this in the Toronto Star when I was there this summer, they had a big thing on it). I do think a 'little Kurdistan' would be cool, and you can deck out Nolensville Road with flags of Spanish speaking nations.

I don't ever get that feeling in Toronto, and none of the locals I have ever talked to feel that way. Its up to perception, I suppose.

So what if the bible-thumpers come out to protest? Let them. Its their right. But it shouldn't keep progress from occurring. They can stand out all day on the corner of church and 17th or Elliston Place and hand out all the anti-gay propaganda they want, it won't change a thing or shut down a single business or club.

Again, I think this is a healthy thing for all things. Nashville could have various arts districts with unique signage and streetscapes, various ethnic village signs, various other cultural celebrations.

I wouldn't care if there was a christian themed village in an area that is dominated by religious publishing houses.

It adds to the city regardless, and its a great idea.

it is kinda funny.. how the gay district in nashville is on... church street :rofl:

i don't know if segregated the city like that would be a smart one either..

just mix it all up. let a bible store be next to a gay friendly cafe.

diversity is superb!

What a silly statement--do you imply that gays and lesbians aren't religious?

it is kinda funny.. how the gay district in nashville is on... church street :rofl:

i don't know if segregated the city like that would be a smart one either..

just mix it all up. let a bible store be next to a gay friendly cafe.

diversity is superb!

Part of celebrating diversity is to show that the community exists. I don't know what you mean by segregation. Its not segregation to throw up a few rainbow flags on Church St. and notice its a community.

Part of celebrating diversity is to show that the community exists. I don't know what you mean by segregation. Its not segregation to throw up a few rainbow flags on Church St. and notice its a community.

i'm all for gay pride..

but it identifies the area is JUST a gay community...when it has so much more to it

and to notice a community..

its called accepting them..

throwing flags up for a black community doesn't make up for the whole slave issue we had 200 years ago.

so..

why not develop it into something funky and different.. make it diverse..

let's not be the ordinary city with separate communities..

ya know?

and no, i know alot of gays that are religious..

extremely religious..

it just makes me chuckle a lil about the thought.

"gays = church street."

thats all i'm saying.

What a silly statement--do you imply that gays and lesbians aren't religious?

It seems like this is where we always get in trouble; Gays and religion!

I wouldn't say gays aren't "Religious," but I would say there actions are not Christian. The bible gives several examples of homosexuality being a sin, old testament and new. And the bible points out that these relationships are un-natural (Romans 1:26-27).

That said, I absolutely think churches need to open their door to homosexuals. The church should be a hospital for sinners, not a country club for the rich. All of us are sinners, be us stright or gay. I guess the big difference is that most homosexuals don't agree that their chosen lifestyle is a sin.

I believe God gives us life lessons to show proof of the bible. If you have sex with multiple partners of the opposite sex, or one person of the same sex, and don't use protection, you will probably get an STD. You may even get a disease if using protection. However, I have never heard of anyone in sexual relationship with one other person getting an STD.

ok, time for all of you in the 'tolerence' crowd to come out and bash my opinion :)

I wouldn't say gays aren't "Religious," but I would say there actions are not Christian. The bible gives several examples of homosexuality being a sin, old testament and new. And the bible points out that these relationships are un-natural (Romans 1:26-27).

That said, I absolutely think churches need to open their door to homosexuals. The church should be a hospital for sinners, not a country club for the rich. All of us are sinners, be us stright or gay. I guess the big difference is that most homosexuals don't agree that their chosen lifestyle is a sin.

I believe God gives us life lessons to show proof of the bible. If you have sex with multiple partners of the opposite sex, or one person of the same sex, and don't use protection, you will probably get an STD. You may even get a disease if using protection. However, I have never heard of anyone in sexual relationship with one other person getting an STD.

ok, time for all of you in the 'tolerence' crowd to come out and bash my opinion :)

:huh:

I don't think any of us are actually going to change your opinion, so whats the point? Furthermore none of us hate you, I don't even know you. Its just a difference of opinion. As a gay guy, I hope more people do come around when they see we're not asking for anything other than equal treatment. There's nothing special about gay marriage, we're already getting married whether the government gives us the right or treats us as second class citizens. We're just asking not to be second class citizens anymore.

All I can do is ask for your support. If you still feel the way you were taught growing up, fine. But just remember I'm not advocating keeping you from any right you should have. You have to remember that your position is the status quo, which is keeping rights from all people. You have the 100% right to have that opinion, even if I think its sad and disagree fullheartedly.

That's what I think the debate should be about, not forcing anyone's opinion on others.

If gay marriage were passed and it became legal in Tennessee, or the nation as a whole, it would not stop you from raising your kids teaching them what you believe. It would not stop you from going to the church of your choice, regardless if that church teaches an anti-gay message or not.

If our side wins you still have the freedom to live your life as you see fit, 100%.

Just keep that in mind and hopefully in 15-20 years you will come around.

If not, at least I tried!

If you have sex with multiple partners of the opposite sex, or one person of the same sex, and don't use protection, you will probably get an STD. You may even get a disease if using protection.

Any reason why you feel it takes unprotected sex with "multiple partners of the opposite sex" to get an STD, but just "one person of the same sex"? This logic seems to imply that every homosexual person must be carrying an STD... Is that really what you meant?

Archived