*MEGA* COLUMBUS Pics Thread - Drive from Cincy to

montecarloss

Pictures get better as you get to the bottom. The first few are taken through a car window

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! CORN! Are we still in Illinois?

miniDSCF0001-vi.jpg

Ohio's hills and trees, where did you go? Cincy come back!

miniDSCF0002-vi.jpg

"Are we almost there yet?" No that wasn't my daughter asking that, it was ME!

miniDSCF0003-vi.jpg

Looks like a metro of some sort is starting to form, ala less farms!

miniDSCF0004-vi.jpg

How am I aproaching the loop and the highway is still 2 lanes?

miniDSCF0005-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0006-vi.jpg

Wait I think I see it...

miniDSCF0009-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0010-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0011-vi.jpg

City! Oh how I love cities!

miniDSCF0014-vi.jpg

Wheeling? Wheeling? How the hell is that a control city? Isn't that some town in West Virginia?

miniDSCF0016-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0017-vi.jpg

Nice presence!

miniDSCF0018-vi.jpg

We have arrived!

miniDSCF0023-vi.jpg

Charlotte? Oh its Columbus...I thought I was in the Sun Belt ;)

miniDSCF0024-vi.jpg

Crane fans?

miniDSCF0026-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0027-vi.jpg

OSU

miniDSCF0028-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0030-vi.jpg

Some of the stadium

miniDSCF0031-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0034-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0035-vi.jpg

Building looked like something from St. Louis. Nice!

miniDSCF0037-vi.jpg

I guess they are progressive ... j/k

miniDSCF0038-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0039-vi.jpg

Here is the joint we ate at. I wanted local and I got it.

miniDSCF0040-vi.jpg

Mike was cool and showed us his renderings of what the place will look like after it is remodeled. Food is great and if you are in Columbus, stop by and get the $2.50 combo.

miniDSCF0041-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0045-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0046-vi.jpg

I found "Highstreet" sleeping... ColDay I think you could take him

miniDSCF0047-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0048-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0049-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0050-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0053-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0054-vi.jpg

That building is awful looking.

miniDSCF0055-vi.jpg

Wasn't Wendy's founded in Columbus? (Dublin suburb)

miniDSCF0056-vi.jpg

Cool!

miniDSCF0058-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0059-vi.jpg

Home of the Columbus Blue Jackets NHL team

miniDSCF0060-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0062-vi.jpg

Avatar Material for Columbus forumers ;)

miniDSCF0064-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0065-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0066-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0067-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0068-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0073-vi.jpg

Riverfront

miniDSCF0074-vi.jpg

By far the best Skyscraper in Columbus

miniDSCF0075-vi.jpg

Santa Maria full scale replica - Tour $3.00, Kids are free

miniDSCF0080-vi.jpg

Yes, that was a REAL spider on the boat.

miniDSCF0082-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0086-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0089-vi.jpg

miniDSCF0090-vi.jpg

Easton Mall - Yes they have Cincinnati Graeter's Ice Cream there!

miniDSCF0092-vi.jpg

My one shot of Easton shopping district. Has a Disney feel without the Disney.

miniDSCF0094-or.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Thanks for the pics. I wouldn't mind seeing more about the Easton shopping district.

I haven't been to Columbus in a long time, I do have a question. Is columbus' DT relatively void of street level retail or is it just not captured in these pictures. Again, not trying to be negative, just curious since it has been so long.

I do love old ships on city waterfronts, that's a big plus in my book :)

Yet another great city tour! Thanks a lot! I like city tours...they let me see all the cities that I am unable to explore on my own.

I really need to do a city tour of my own rather depressing city someday, but that's difficult, seeing as how dangerous our downtown is...I won't even go there alone! And that's probably the safest part...anything north of the river is out of the question. Detroit has a bad reputation, but Flint is more dangerous. If anybody's seen the movie "Roger & Me", or "Pets or Meat", you know what I'm talking about...except it's worse now than when the movies were filmed.

What Detroit? I have been hearing about the turnaround in Detroit for a while in SSP. What is your handle in SSP?

Sorry..I was talking about downtown Flint (I really need to learn to be more specific... & It doesn't help that I had to get up at 6:20 AM this morning for the first time in 3 months). I live halfway between Flint & Detroit...in the sprawling, characterless suburbs, so I rep both cities. Flint suffered (and is still suffering) from the loss of automotive jobs. Flint's unemployment rate is near 20% right now with the economic downturn! And while there are a couple projects improving the city, the city is still really bad...it's loosing thousands of ppl to the suburbs. I don't see a significant rebound occuring in Flint anytime soon, although I could be wrong.

Detroit is rebounding though. Several of the historic neighborhoods are again a nice place to live, as they were a century ago. In Brush Park, many homes are being restored...athough there are still quite a few that need some TLC. There are literally hundreds of small projects either on the drawing boards, approved, or under construction. More building permits have been issued in the city of Detroit since 2000 than in the entire decade of the 1980s! The lofts on Woodward & the renovation of the Metropolitan building, along with the Compuware Building are just some of the projects. And recently the Book-Cadillac hotel began it's renovation. The police department is also looking into moving into the abandoned Michigan Central Station...which will be great for the city. Hopefully the renovation of the Book-Cadillac will spur the renovation of the Madsion-Lenox & the Slater-Hilton. These are all great old buildings, & I'd hate to see them go the way of Hudsons...which would've made great lofts/apartments. Detroit has one of the best collections of old skyscrapers outside of New York City, & they are a definite asset to the city...they practically make the city! Detroit has a long way to go, but it's finally making significant steps in the right direction.

My Handle on SSP is "Future Architect" Although I can't post...My account is still awaiting activation some 6 months after registering (I never received the activation email), & despite countless attempts to activate my account (ie. emailing SSP requesting that my account be activated), still no luck.

Archived