Piped-In Music Downtown

Giovanni

I've always thought that in order to attract people to DT outside of the M-F 9-5 time slot it was necessary to create a hip, cool atmosphere. If Raleigh wants to attract an eclectic, fungoing group of people to its core, it needs to be a place that reflects that. What better way aid this effort than by installing speakers along the sidewalks? Nothing loud or fancy, just piped-in speakers that play music, not unlike those found at North Hills.

During the day classical or easy-going music could play, and in the evening more edgy, partying-oriented music. Heck, at night we could even have top-40 hits playing, selected by a local radio station. Another option would be to intermittently broadcast local and regional artists amongst nationally-recognized groups; this would showcase the great music scene that calls Raleigh home. My personal favorite would be to mix up American hits with a selection of European hits - it'd be a great way to display our globally-diverse population, as well as add a little international flair to our Southern roots.

I was recently in DT Winston the other weekend and it really enriched the whole feel of the place to stroll along and hear music on the streets. You'd be amazed at how much it relaxes the pedestrians and makes the entire neighborhood feel alive and at home.

Cost-wise, it wouldn't be too much of a burden to implement, thanks to new wireless speaker technology.

What think ye?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they wouldn't try to pipe music in. It's not a mall, and I just don't think that works. I'm not sure I even like it at ATHD in Durham. To bring in more of this crowd, I suggest that the city try to draw more music clubs to the heart of DT (maybe a few open-air venues as well). Street performers may follow. That would give off a great vibe I think. Throw in a couple bookstores, more bars and cafes--and you're home.

I just can't picture it. I'm pretty conservative music wise (I only have a few styles I like) and I can see something that I don't like driving me away. While I know that most people on this board may disagree with that mentality, I am sure that there are others in Raleigh that would agree. However, I would prefer to see more street artists and performers at designated locations along both F street, City Market and Glenwood South. I think that would be a great draw. I guess I"m just opposed to piped in music that lasts for blocks and blocks. Its ok for the mall, just not our city's downtown streets. Just my humble opinion.

Morganton has music playing downtown. When I first heard of the idea, I thought it was a neat concept. However, when you're walking around and you keep hearing elevator music, it gets old after a while. I prefer to listen to the sounds of the street (birds, people talking, cars driving by, etc.).

I have to agree with the growing consensus. I do not like the idea of piped in music. It does not really add anything to ambiance if no ones there to listen, and does nothing to attract people.

However, I do like it when restaurants have some low volume speakers outside their space filling the side walks with some tunes. It gives me an immediate idea of the indoor environment.

Anybody thought about street bands. You know the people that come and sit on the sidewalk and play their own music. they have a bag sitting beside them where you can pitch your change/dollars into it. Both big cities I lived in, Seattle and Denver, always had these type of people down there. I am sure there is some ordinance against this though and it would have be changed to make it work. :lol:

I don't know what the rules are regarding street performers, but there were two somewhat regulars in Raleigh -- the guy who played violin late night on Hillsborough Street under the old Studio/McDonalds marquee, and the saxaphone guy that used to play near the One Exchange plaza side of the"fountain" during the lunch hour.

The N&O had a story saying he was back once F Street opened up, but I havent' been downtown during normal business hours since then.

Piped in music is weird -- once Southpoint was playing an obscure English band I really like (St. Etiene) and stopped it mid song and replaced it with Chrismas/holiday music. Ugh.

Let the street make its own music! People talking, cars moving, music club spillage (Yanceys and Martin Street for starters). I really like how Amra's leaves the doors open right behind the band for passers by to hear.

Southpoint Mall pipes in music. Real cities have buskers. If you want music downtown, start a public performance program. Cambridge, MA has an excellent one worth emulating.

My thoughts exactly. I used to busk in Boston and Cambridge. Fun times.

As others have said, piping in music is what they do in the mall. City streets should sound more like traffic than Kenny G.

Piping in music is a bad idea. We can't agree on light fixtures or artwork...how can we agree on music? Live street performers is a much better idea. There is nothing better than strolling Michigan Avenue in Chicago during the holidays while listening to someone belt out some jazzy holiday tunes on the sax.

Piped-in music = crappy annoying jazz. I am at north hills all the time, and the music is only noticable when there is no one there. All piped in music would do for fayetteville st. is it would accentuate how people arent there. It would make it a DREADFUL environment, not a cool one. Sorry to be harsh, but i HATE piped in music.

:sick:

Archived