Draft for the US Military is Coming

monsoon

If Drafted, will you Serve?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If Drafted Will you Serve?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bush will be removed, War with Iraq ended, and no war with Iran, so no draft needed.

The US Army is requesting 60,000 new recruits because it is stretched too thin by George Bush's occupation of Iraq. (and the numbers of soldiers over there is still on the rise) Since the number of recruits has been falling in the voluntary Army, one can only conclude the Army will request the draft be made active as it was during the Vietnam war to feed constant bodies to the war effort. And the side benefit to this is that it gives Bush options to start a war with Iran before his term ends in early 2009. People like to say we are at war, well this is what war really means.

I suspect that we will see the draft activated some time after the November election. If they run it as they did during Vietnam, then each local draft board will be given an allotment of GI's (stands for General Issue) they must provide to the regional military intake center. They will hold a lottery and pull numbers at random and if your number is pulled, then you have so many days to show up to be issued to the Army. You will sign the paperwork, get a physical and assuming that you pass, you will be sent to a camp for basic training which last 9 weeks. After basic training you will be assigned to a unit and almost immediately you and your new rifle could be on the ground in the middle east.

During this period, you have the option to join one of the other services, i.e. Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, if they have openings. When the draft is active their available positions at all but the Marines, quickly fill up. If you fail to show up to be inducted, then you become a felon and military and/or federal agents put out a warrant for your arrest. You can flee the country as tens of thousands did to Canada during the Vietnam War, and your only chance for coming back would be to receive amnesty issued by some future kinder president. This is what happened with the Vietnam draft dodgers in 1978 when Carter cleared them and ended the draft registration all together. (Reagan/Bush re-instated the present draft in the early 1980s) It should be noted that Bush has signed a treaty with Canada that will allow draft dodgers to be easily extradited back to the USA military. This would not be a good way to start a military career.

Anyone between 18-26 can be drafted, but the lottery is weighted to to pull from the younger ages first.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to choose "Bush will be removed, etc."

But, instead, I chose "no."

First of all, I object to killing people on a high level. I am by nature not a violent person and I can't stand watching animals suffer, let alone people, even if they were firing at me. I refuse to be voluntarily put into any situation where it's "kill or be killed."

And what exactly would I be defending? Bush's retirement income through his buddies at Halliburton and the Carlyle group? Or would it be our shelled out democracy that is being dismantled more and more by the day by people who think this is a religious war between Christians and Muslims and that think Muslims should be publicly identified and separate at airport security? No no.. I'm not going to defend the Vaterland, so you nut jobs can be "proud" of me while you waltz around in your gas guzzling SUVs with a lame "support our troops" sticker on the back. What an insult to our troops already serving.

Do you know what happened in my town when the boys were deployed to Iraq through the National Gaurd? Hundreds showed up, many of whom were moms, dads, sisters, brothers.... friends, other family, and even people who didn't know them at all but wanted to show support. They got together and did fundraising drives to send DVDs and snacks to Iraq for the troops and to send local and national newspapers over for the troops to read so they could keep up to date on what was going on at home. It was a community effort to support the troops. WHile little sacrifice was made, it was something. It was more than Bush has asked of the paranoid, freak-o soccer mom and Joe Six Pack that support the war from their couch during commercials and complain about heating their 5,000 sq. ft. house and having to walk to the car to drive down to the gas station and get their next pack of doritos and bud light.

I was heartened by this response in my community and it certainly didn't go unnoticed, but am more so disgusted by the pathetic response Americans have had. But no, (Republican) your vote to cut their Veteran's benefits, deny them proper equipment/gear, and putting them in danger because we can't properly fund this war that was based on lies anyway is all made up for by the $2.00 sticker on the back of your car. Oh, and the tax rebate you got for all of that "hard earned" money you pay into the government (which belongs to the government, by the way, to fight this war and fund the roads you drive on and the pipes that our drinking water comes from and the list goes on and on and on)... will ensure that when those troops come back to the U.S (if they do come back), they'll be paying for your greed until the day they die.

A letter to the editor in our newspaper said, quite concisely "I sure am gonna miss these gas prices after the elections. I wonder how our new voting machines will work out?"

Welcome to the new America... love it or elect competant politicians that won't be sending off the boys and girls to fight for oil/defense profits.

From what I've read it looks like any conscription that we would have would be more of skillset, specialized, nature. People like health-care workers, language experts, engineers, and computer experts are most needed and are most likely to be drafted.

The alarmists have already been wrong and thought we would have a draft in Spring of 2005 after the presidential election.

BUT if the adminstration decides to go to war with Iran, all bets are off.

The army needs bodies to shoot at people. The only requirements for this job is to be in good shape. This means 18 -26 year olds to man the tanks, do patrol, and all of the other thngs that a ground force does to eliminate the "enemy", subjugate resistance, and support the polices of the goverment which in this day and age means police patrol. And of course if they bomb Iran, they will need these new soldiers to defend Iraq's borders because Iran will most certainly send a million troops into Iraq to do battle with the USA. It will be a horrible bloody mess, and they will need all the bodies they can get to fight them off.

The skilled workset you describe is being handled by private contractors which is the other hidden aspect of this war. Contractors such as haliburton are now performing roles for the military which were once completely handled by military personnel.

$$$$$$$

2,700 dead

$$$$$$$$

THousands of Iraqis dead

$$$$$$$$$

An end to the war?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Not as long as I'm president"

I like that.

Well, I'm outside the scope of the draft. I'm really not sure. To me, I would certainly do whatever I could to defend this country, so on that level I would certainly go if drafted. But then again, I don't support this war; I don't beleive it's for the good of America or the world for that matter. So, it's a tough decision. I do know one thing---I think that if these arrogant people who run this country right now vote for a draft, then the first thing that they should have to do is volunteer their son or daughter for service if they're of the right age. Yeah, that means the Bush twins over there in Iraq. Also, I think the people who are so pumped up about this war, you know, all the country singers who bashed the Dixie Chicks, all the people who constantly talk about patriotism and how we should follow our leader, well those guys should be sent off first and then we'll see how macho they really are---because if there is anything I hate more than arrogance it's someone who is a total fake. I don't listen to country music, but who is that guy who made that racist song about the people wearing turbans and stuff? Not sure, but I think he's a fine candidate to go. The army won't even have to supply him with a uniform; he can just wear his Realtree camouflage outfit. I don't mean to sound bitter, but I can't help it.

when i see the congressmen who voted in favor of the war sending their sons and daughters over, i'll go. until then, i'll be content with being locked up as a felon.

i'm a peaceful person and don't see any reason for any war unless blatantly attacked. that has not happened with iraq. i don't believe in this whole "protecting our interests overseas" crap either. if the arabs want to destroy the mid-east, let them. let them all kill each other. i don't really care. i don't need to be there fighting someone else's war.

I don't know that I could do military service because I have a genetic heart disorder (irregular heart beat).

But I wouldn't do it anyway, and I'm not going to deny it, nor am I going to let you think I'm a coward for not blindly falling in line. If our nation and its values were truly under threat I would do everything I could to defend this country. I have a general faith in the American people that they really are good people, but we're headed in the wrong direction and I won't support wars that encourage the same path down that road.

I don't know that I could do military service because I have a genetic heart disorder (irregular heart beat).

But I wouldn't do it anyway, and I'm not going to deny it, nor am I going to let you think I'm a coward for not blindly falling in line. If our nation and its values were truly under threat I would do everything I could to defend this country. I have a general faith in the American people that they really are good people, but we're headed in the wrong direction and I won't support wars that encourage the same path down that road.

ya know... i forgot that i had an irregular heartbeat that was discovered during my physical examination that i had when i was trying to get into the coast guard academy (they didn't take me, presumably because of that issue).

If you are drafted, the military will get you into shape in boot camp.

I guess this kills my overweight and not in shape excuse :lol:

I certainly do not want to see a draft instituted. I feel that a professional & voluntary armed services is the best fit for this nation. Unless, of course a WWII situation occurs, then the country needs everything possible.

I voted yes, that I would serve if drafted.

I went and had it checked out because while I was working, I had a 10 second or so heart "flutter" in which my heart was off-beat. My doctor tried to say it was quite normal until they ran tests and found that my heartbeat was irregular.. not enough to be a concern.. unless I exert myself intensly and suddenly.... like combat situations.

I've actually been through the military physical and there really isn't that much to it. Most guys show up to one of the regional induction centers having been bussed in from their local town. I was trying to get a military scholarship at the time and had to go to one of these centers to be tested to see if I was fit enough to enter the military after college was completed. I drove to the one in Charlotte and got there when the bus was discharging a bunch of recruits.

After completing some paperwork, you enter a room full of lockers, you strip your clothes off and they give you a hospital gown that is open in the back and you enter the examination room with several hundred other peeps and then get in line. You travel through a number of stations where they measure your height, weight, test your eyesight, hearing, take your blood pressure, and take two tubes of blood. Then a doctor shows up and gives you a test for a hernia which means they very forcefully push up into the area where your balls join the rest of the body and tell you to cough. Then they test your prostate. I won't describe this test but since you are in line with everyone else, you get a birds eye view of the guy being tested in front of you. Hopefully the Dr. remembers to change gloves.

Somewhere in this process they interview you about past diseases, if you have current diseases, venerial diseases, and they check you for lice, and other parasites. While you are waiting for them to come to a conclusion they ask you some questions on commiting various acts of treason and other activities that nobody in their right mind would answer yes, lest the military police haul you off. They also make various inquiries about your sex life.

Then they come back and tell you if you have passed or failed the test. I believe they failed maybe 2-3 out of the 300 or so that were there. They don't fail you for being fat as there were a bunch of fat guys there and its expected the military will take that off of you. I passed the physical, but this concluded the process for me since I was not actually being inducted into the military. For the poor guys that were, they had to line up to get a series of vaccinations. They also give you some coke bottle glasses if you can't see well enough to shoot someone. I believe in the days of the draft, the next stop is boot camp.

They signed an agreement with Canada, but did they sign one with Mexico?? GET THE WALL UP QUICK! There'd be millions of American kids invading Mexico!

My mother said they'd probably include people up to 42, or is that what they expanded the enlistment age to? And me at 27... will I be able to escape or do I not need to worry? Bootcamp get me in shape? HAHA I'd wish them good luck with helping me lose over 200lbs. If they expand the age limit and my number come up, I'm going in drag and be all ambiguous and androgynous... the ugliest it on earth!

They signed an agreement with Canada, but did they sign one with Mexico?? GET THE WALL UP QUICK! There'd be millions of American kids invading Mexico!

My mother said they'd probably include people up to 42, or is that what they expanded the enlistment age to? And me at 27... will I be able to escape or do I not need to worry? Bootcamp get me in shape? HAHA I'd wish them good luck with helping me lose over 200lbs. If they expand the age limit and my number come up, I'm going in drag and be all ambiguous and androgynous... the ugliest it on earth!

42 is the enlistment age i believe. i hope 27 is outside the draft limit, although in this case, i'd bet they'd draft people up to 30.

i'm pretty out of shape too. if i were drafted, i certainly would not bust my you-know-what at bootcamp just so i can get in shape for the military. if they want to court martial me or whatever they do to slackers, they can. i'm not going to follow orders because i didn't volunteer to be in the military.

I never realized how high the chances were that we could have a draft. I am 18 so it certainly affects me. If drafted I would happily serve but you won't see me enlisting. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, I jog and play basketball at the gym regularly the only problem is that I am really skinny so I am not the strongest person.

I never realized how high the chances were that we could have a draft. I am 18 so it certainly affects me. If drafted I would happily serve but you won't see me enlisting. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, I jog and play basketball at the gym regularly the only problem is that I am really skinny so I am not the strongest person.

If you can point and shoot or push a button, you're good!

I don't think a draft is necessarily going to happen.

I see the military pulling more National Guard Troops and Army reserves into Iraq.

These sources are already tapped out. In fact they are extending the tours of duty of many combat soldiers in Iraq and sending them back more often just to maintain the current occupation which is slowly destroying the troops.

Archived