Draft for the US Military is Coming

monsoon

If Drafted, will you Serve?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If Drafted Will you Serve?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bush will be removed, War with Iraq ended, and no war with Iran, so no draft needed.

The very idea of a military draft is absurd. We need people in the military that WANT TO BE THERE.

If I had a son or daughter that got drafted to fight the Bushies' wars, I would do everything in my power to get him/her out of this country. I'll be damned if I would ever go fight a war like this, let alone allow one of my kids to go involuntarily.

If a draft is reborn in this day and age, you will see the biggest social revolution in this country since the 1960's (the era of Vietnam)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be happy and proud to go to jail before I would fight in Iraq. I would also sign up in a minute should, lets say, China invade the United States. Most of us will fight to defend ourselves, but to fight for something so utterly flawed as this war is not where I am willing to go.

Side note: two years ago a friend of my family was sent to first Denver then Chicago to update the computer systems at the administrative offices of the draft boards in those areas. These were offices that had been closed for 20 + years. I wonder why?

The first in line for a draft should be those that support this war and those that voted for this administration. Of course they will be the first to find their way out of the risk of being called up.

i don't understand why we need a draft for a war that is not to defend our country or to help an ally (although, even a draft for a war to help an ally is a bit much, we help as much as we can at the time). if we're in too deep, we shoudl do what we can and just get out. let the iraqis take care of themselves. they were a peaceful nation while saddam was leader.

The reason? It's the insane plan by the neo-cons to destroy the Iranian government. They have wanted to do it since the Shah was run out of there in 1979. The Shah was a big supporter of the USA and the West. Nevermind that he was a brutal dictator that was hated by the people.

The reason we haven't invaded Iran yet is because they first tried to arm Saddam to do it in the 80s, we got a break from the neo-con madness in the 90s with Clinton, and their plan to conquer Saddam and use Iraq as a base to go after Iraq has backfired.

Now Iran is going after the bomb because they know as long as they have the bomb the USA can't do anything to them and George Bush is going to pull all the stops out to stop them from getting it before he leaves office. Nevermind again it's his policies that are forcing them to develop the bomb just as it did with North Korea. They are going to drop bombs on Iran's nuclear facilities, Iran will invade Iraq and will most likely be joined by thier crape comrads, and the USA will be at war with 3 nations in the middle east. They are going to need lots of soldiers to shoot rifles.

... then everyone will turn on Israel again and they'll be fighting a bunch of countries and... that'll be a mess...

I guess just for giggles they'll toss Pakistan in sicne they already threatened to bomb it back to the stone age.

I wish Bill Clinton was the president.

What's funny is the Republicans back in 1998 said his bombing of Al-Qaeda was just a distraction from Monica and now they've forgotten all about them and trying to say Clinton didn't try to go after Osama. So we're now not looking for Osama at all in Pakistan, but we want Iran?

I don't think a draft is necessarily going to happen.

I see the military pulling more National Guard Troops and Army reserves into Iraq.

yeah.... those guys haven't done their part.

i know these people know what they signed up for, but i don't think any of them thought it would be tour after tour (nor is it right to expect these citizens to continue this pattern). this "war" in iraq becomes more and more absurd daily. as for me, this war is NOT defending the US and i would not die for lies propagated by americas wealthy politicians (mostly repubes). however, after 9/11 i briefly considered joining the military in the desire to go to afghanistan. i, like most, believed that was a just conflict.... to get rid of the people responsible for attacking us. of course, that just cause was detracted from by the liars war. bush says we are in iraq to defeat terrorism, but, i say he's only investing in terrorism there. reprecussions from iraq will be felt for many, many years to come.

I personally would move to Burma, Laos or Paraguay before I would let GW and Rummy be my boss.

I have the utmost respect for the military men and women that make military their career AND the ones that respect international law in regards to the Geneva Convention, etc. They deserve better than to be policemen in this dangerous and wrong adventure.

I despise the politicans that have made war a world domination adventure.

Didn't the democrats try to talk up talk of a draft before the election in 2004? Yes, they did. Was there a draft? No. Will there be one now? No.

The Democrats said that a draft was needed if the military is going to meet its staffing needs. It was true then and it's true now. There isn't a draft because the Republicans in power know it would be political suicide. So instead they send the active duty military, reserves, and national guard on tour after tour, for years on end. It's only a matter of time before this wearing out of our troops comes back to bite us.

The Democrats did it because they knew that congress wanted this war without any sacrifice from the American people. It's basically a TV war. The soldiers are out in the field fighting, and we sit at home with our little "God Bless America" stickers for our SUVs. It's the perfect Republican war!

I mean.. name one sacrifice that today's middle-aged and up generations are making for this war. Name ONE. Then shut up. Because I don't want to hear your gloating about fighting terrorists when A) You're not fighting them and B) You're not paying for it.

Didn't the democrats try to talk up talk of a draft before the election in 2004? Yes, they did. Was there a draft? No. Will there be one now? No.

The Army is requesting 60,000 additional troops be added to the forces. Where exactly do you think these are going to come from since they are no longer able to meet even existing recruitment goals?

The 60,000 is just to handle today's situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. They can't handle the never ending wars there with the troops they have and they need this infusion to keep they Army from disintegrating. Remember, Iraq was supposed to be a "cake walk" with grateful Iraqis thowing roses at our feet, so they never expected to be there this long. If there is actually a war with Iran, I would expect they will need from 500,000 to 750,000 more troops to handle that. Since this would happen in a short amout of time, I can see almost every 18-19 year old at the time this occurs being called up to duty through involuntary draft. And possibly amounts all the way up to the limit of 26 (if they don't raise that too) War with Iran would be larger than possibly even Vietnam or North Korea.

And the beotch of it is, the survivors of that war, will spend the rest of their lives paying off the interest on the debt that has been run up by Bush in fighting all these wars. I am not sure why some people here continue to give this president a free pass to do whatever he wants.

The 60,000 is just to handle today's situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. They can't handle the never ending wars there with the troops they have and they need this infusion to keep they Army from disintegrating. Remember, Iraq was supposed to be a "cake walk" with grateful Iraqis thowing roses at our feet, so they never expected to be there this long. If there is actually a war with Iran, I would expect they will need from 500,000 to 750,000 more troops to handle that. Since this would happen in a short amout of time, I can see almost every 18-19 year old at the time this occurs being called up to duty through involuntary draft. And possibly amounts all the way up to the limit of 26 (if they don't raise that too) War with Iran would be larger than possibly even Vietnam or North Korea.

And the beotch of it is, the survivors of that war, will spend the rest of their lives paying off the interest on the debt that has been run up by Bush in fighting all these wars. I am not sure why some people here continue to give this president a free pass to do whatever he wants.

first... what war is ever a "cake walk"? bush was stupid to really believe that. just because they ousted saddam so quickly didn't mean that it would mean the immediate reconstruction of the nation and return of our troops (although i don't think we'll ever bring back 100% of our troops from iraq).

second.... i'm not sure we'd actually go to war with iran. i think even bush is smart enough to realize that it'd be a big mistake. but i guess we'll see what happens, especially after november. i don't think a democratic congress will allow the president to make such rash decisions about going to war.

If a draft were implemented, there would be civil unrest like this country has never seen. The unfairness of a draft that selects only heterosexual, lower socio-economic class males will in no way be implemented without tremendous discord. And don't kid yourself...the children of Halliburton Execs won't serve. No way, no matter what.

However, the pessimist in me says that now that we have allowed the neo-cons and the right to render the Bill of Rights and the writ of Habeas Corpus totally meaningless, the new fascists will be able to stifle any dissent by classifying these US citizens as 'enemy combatants' and kidnapping them from there homes and subjecting them to torture without any due process.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have gone through the looking glass, and I fear there may be no return.

Have a nice day! :)

There will be a civil war within this country before that happens. I'm not lying, this country will see the biggest form of cultural warfare within our own borders that this country hasn't seen since the Civil War.

I have to agree. I can't imagine even our current average citizen who enjoys ignoring the fact that we are in a real war and are not doing well actually ignoring it if they might be sent over there. Maybe this IS what needs to happen.

Archived