Draft for the US Military is Coming

monsoon

If Drafted, will you Serve?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If Drafted Will you Serve?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bush will be removed, War with Iraq ended, and no war with Iran, so no draft needed.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congress has drawn up plans to re-activate the draft. If anyone is drinking koolaid, it is the neo-con right wingers that are getting us into these wars that are killing a lot of people. October has been the bloodiest month this year for American deaths, and it still has more than a week to go.

Congress has drawn up plans to re-activate the draft. If anyone is drinking koolaid, it is the neo-con right wingers that are getting us into these wars that are killing a lot of people. October has been the bloodiest month this year for American deaths, and it still has more than a week to go.

I could have believed a draft would be coming if the elections didn't look like the Dems would take control of congress. As of right now if the Dems do control one house, a draft will never get started, and it will be leaked to the press immediately.

Like Vietnam killed the Democratic party for nearly a generation, Iraq, and if it happens Iran would give the same results to the GOP, and probably ten-fold. Because whenever the GOP screws up, it normally gets hit hard.

I will certainly do that. If you had actually bothered to read the topic you would have found this was related to war with Iran. Since we are not yet at war with that country a draft is not currently necessary. I find that it helps to be informed before accusing people of drinking kool aid and being wing nuts.

Man I can't blieve that I've gotten on this one so late!

Anyway, I don't see the draft happening that soon... I hope anyway. The Army is strapped thin though, they aren't able to fill their slots in Iraq and are having a lot of us AF fill in for them. It's supposed to last for a while too. The funny thing is, while ALL over the services are UNDER-MANNED and spread incredibly thin, congress wants to get rid of 40,000 in the AF along with almost as many in the Navy by the end of 2007. They're trying to encourage people to switch over to the Army through a program called "blue to green", but I haven't heard exactly how many people are actually doing this. The thing is, the AF doesn't have any grunts; everyone is in a specialized career feild and would most likely have to be retrained. Though, that almost doesn't really matter. pretty much everyone is a grunt now-a-days, so I guess no matter what career feild you go into you'll be doing patrols, etc.

With all of this force shaping happening, those services are also letting in fewer enlistees... "hoping" that they will instead go and join the army. Who knows if this will work or not. Hopefully it does.

Another reason why I don't think a draft will take place is because the Army is only asking for 60,000... not 500,000 or whatever they needed for Vietnam. In theory, this should be an easy thing to accomplish. When a person enlists in the military, they are signing up for 8 total years of service... whether they know it or not at the time. If a person signs up for a 4 year intitial enlistment and gets out after that, they still have 4 more years of what is called "In-Active Reserves"... where they can basicly be called up at any time by the military to serve the rest of their 8 years. When I get out, I will have served a 6 year enlistment... but if congress decides that they're in too deep and need way more war fighters, I can be called back to duty any time within the next 2 years. I can tell you, way more than 60,000 former enlistees are in the In-Active Reserves... and they will be called up before any draft takes place.

So I really hope that with Force Shaping going on that the Army is able to get all of the recruiting that it needs. Because really, I don't want to face a stop-loss within the next year... and I definatly DON'T want to be called back to duty after I'm out (soon).

All of this crap in the middle east won't end too soon, but surely sooner if a non-Republican is elected into office.

We can only pray.

I could see merging the services as a good idea. the services today work together much more closely than in past wars, and having only one chain of command to deal with will streamline the process. Further, a united service would eliminate political infighting and competition between the services.

Archived