Draft for the US Military is Coming

monsoon

If Drafted, will you Serve?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If Drafted Will you Serve?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bush will be removed, War with Iraq ended, and no war with Iran, so no draft needed.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would probably sign up for the coast guard, if there were a draft. Get in and get a good position, away from the front lines, before they can draft me.

I'm 6'3" and in great health. I've heard many stories about conscientious objections getting turned down. I'm completely against the war, and refuse to die in it.

65,000 dead and 250,000 injured isn't just a few people. The average age of the Vietnam soldier was 19 and most faced combat and the spector of death every day. What happened in that war should not be dismissed so easily and my experience with the families that I knew that went off to that war is they would never want a loved one to be put into the same circumstances.

Likewise the people that I knew that fought in the Korean war including my father, my uncles who fought in WWII and my grandfather who was in the trenches of Europe during WWI all have said many many times that war is an unrelenting hell and they would never ever wish for anyone to be faced with the same situation, not their enemies, not their friends, and certainly not their loved ones. The only ones that I have ever heard advocate for war are ones who have never been in one.

nevermind, it's just not worth it. :rolleyes:

There is only one reason why I never fought in a war, and that is because there was no war going on while I was in. And I beg your pardon, but "everyone who has actually been to war wants to shield their children and grandchildren from that part of life" is not true at all. Most of my superiors in both the military and the corporate world have fought in one war or another, and most of them would send their own children into war. I knew many officers in the military who had served in wartime and still urged their sons and daughters to enlist. Why wouldn't they? If someone can serve in the United States Armed Forces to defend their country, they should. And they should urge their children and grandchildren to do so. There are so many families in this country where the men, their fathers and grandfathers, and their children have served. Just because some people were screwed up in Vietnam doesn't mean that people who have fought in other wars wouldn't want their children or grandchildren to fight. Vietnam was unlike any other war... and that generation was different than other wartime generations as well. Of course many of those people wouldn't push war on their worst enemies, but many veterans of other wars would.

Then enlist; your country needs you. The Vietnam generation was the same as generations in the past. What, you don't think there weren't protests over Worldl War II? How about the Civil War? Why don't you check how New York City broke into riots over not wanting to fight the South and how New York itself considered secession. War is not new and neither is dissent. As far back in time as you can check and as far in the future as you will see there will be always be people in power who are ready for war like a couple of country boys are ready for a good fight on a Saturday night--the only difference of course is that the powerful people send other people to serve in their place, and then criticize anyone who doesn't think it's a good idea by attacking their patriotism. Well look, I'm probably outside the scope of a draft, but my brother isn't, and I'm not having that evil-doer George W. Bush sacrificing a young man for his stupid war. I'm sorry Saddam was such a bad guy; I really am. But I'm sick and tired of American soldiers dying in cities whose names I can't even pronounce; my president can't even pronounce the names!!! If those people want a revolution, let them do it like everybody else on the planet has done it---by doing it themselves. I'm tired of fighting for people who don't want us there. Doesn't anyone get that? They don't want us there. And for every young Iraqi that dies there will be a brother or a mother or a son or a sister or a cousin or whatever who carries on his or her name for their lifetimes; wanting to exact revenge on the people who did this. Why don't you go talk to a old-timer Southerner and find out how they feel about Northerners? You want to see some hate, just go ask them. Chances are they have a story. And these are Americans!!! Think of the hate that is brewing over there--hate that won't go away for a long long time--if ever.

The military is a tool needed to conduct a war and is a proud institution. Of course anyone who has served would be proud of another who has served. But they wouldn't advocate war. They would approach it with a slow calm; they would analyze the situation and they would judge it from there. The military is not the same as war. Sorry if I'm babbling, it's late.

I wanted to edit this to say that I didn't mean anything negative against the military, present or past. It is a proud tradition and SBC Metroguy, I'm sure you're very proud to serve and I was not questioning your patriotism.

Then enlist; your country needs you. The Vietnam generation was the same as generations in the past. What, you don't think there weren't protests over Worldl War II? How about the Civil War? Why don't you check how New York City broke into riots over not wanting to fight the South and how New York itself considered secession. War is not new and neither is dissent. As far back in time as you can check and as far in the future as you will see there will be always be people in power who are ready for war like a couple of country boys are ready for a good fight on a Saturday night--the only difference of course is that the powerful people send other people to serve in their place, and then criticize anyone who doesn't think it's a good idea by attacking their patriotism. Well look, I'm probably outside the scope of a draft, but my brother isn't, and I'm not having that evil-doer George W. Bush sacrificing a young man for his stupid war. I'm sorry Saddam was such a bad guy; I really am. But I'm sick and tired of American soldiers dying in cities whose names I can't even pronounce; my president can't even pronounce the names!!! If those people want a revolution, let them do it like everybody else on the planet has done it---by doing it themselves. I'm tired of fighting for people who don't want us there. Doesn't anyone get that? They don't want us there. And for every young Iraqi that dies there will be a brother or a mother or a son or a sister or a cousin or whatever who carries on his or her name for their lifetimes; wanting to exact revenge on the people who did this. Why don't you go talk to a old-timer Southerner and find out how they feel about Northerners? You want to see some hate, just go ask them. Chances are they have a story. And these are Americans!!! Think of the hate that is brewing over there--hate that won't go away for a long long time--if ever.

The military is a tool needed to conduct a war and is a proud institution. Of course anyone who has served would be proud of another who has served. But they wouldn't advocate war. They would approach it with a slow calm; they would analyze the situation and they would judge it from there. The military is not the same as war. Sorry if I'm babbling, it's late.

You make very good points... very well said.

I didn't take it as babbling, more like opening your heart and your mind and putting your true feelings out there. Nothing at all wrong with that, friend.

Well, I doubt there will be a draft, but if there is I will fight. Not because I support the war, because I don't, I just don't want to be noted as a felon and have to flee to Canada. And my only amnesty relies on a future kind president.

I really don't think there will be a draft, and even if there is, there probably won't be a high probabalility that I will be drafted, but I am 18 and I suppose I must be prepared.

I just hope it never happens.

I forgot to say this in my original post and, strangely enough, only remembered today. You, meaning the person who created this thread, should have put in an option for women as I feel dishonest clicking either "yes" or "no," and I know I don't believe the last option will happen.

WS

if women in the USA want to have equal rights, then they should be forced to sign up for the draft as well.

Well... until the military allows women to serve in combat troops then there really isn't any point. The purpose of the draft is to force people to go and fight in combat situations. When soldiers get killed off and injured, the draft insures there are more bodies to take their place.

The rest of the military is still based on voluntary signups.

If you get drafted, then it is almost assured they are going to give you a gun, teach you to shoot it, and put you in a troop that gets shot at.

You make very good points... very well said.

I didn't take it as babbling, more like opening your heart and your mind and putting your true feelings out there. Nothing at all wrong with that, friend.

Thanks man.

I hate to be wishy-washy on this (and for that reason I've not voted yet) but I really am split on whether or not I would serve if drafted. To me, this country affords us so many opportunities, and it doesn't really ask for much in return. Like someone said before, I'd fight if they drafted me, if for no other reason than the person next to me.

Thanks man.

I hate to be wishy-washy on this (and for that reason I've not voted yet) but I really am split on whether or not I would serve if drafted. To me, this country affords us so many opportunities, and it doesn't really ask for much in return. Like someone said before, I'd fight if they drafted me, if for no other reason than the person next to me.

it doesn't ask for much in return? i lose more than 30% of my paycheck to the government... i think that's asking more than enough in return.

I find it interesting that it is suggested that everyone should fight this war regardless of whether it is deemed righteous, legal, necessary, etc. We are just supposed to follow our supreme leader even if an aweful lot of evidence suggests that he might be misguided, might have lied to us to get us there, and initiated our first preemtive war.

We prosecuted Nazi soldiers after WWII even though they said they were just following orders. Our legals system, and the international legal system, does not recognize that as a valid reason for committing crimes or following a leader that is committing them.

I fully believe our president led us into an unjust war therefore I would take the stance that I would NOT follow orders to support this illegal action.

This does not mean I don't support those that are over there, I have a friend coming back from Iraq next week, I care about him deeply and am glad he made it -- and is lucky to have done so, he drives a truck, one of the worst jobs you can have in Iraq, but I don't agree with why he was sent over and neither does he, but he had to go.

I support our miliatary and troops wholeheartedly, it isn't their fault that we have non-military misguided leadership sending them over.

And for the record I would have signed up as quickly as possible during WWI or WWII -- we were actually and truly fighting for something valid, for our freedom, and were drawn into it. It was a necessary war.

I would sign up for a war today if the US were invaded - just like anyone that would never kill might shoot someone that broke into their home. This is different. Very very different.

..... We are just supposed to follow our supreme leader even if an aweful lot of evidence suggests that he might be misguided, might have lied to us to get us there, and initiated our first preemtive war......

Well yes. That is what the constitution says you must do as a member of the military. He is the commander in chief of all the armed forces.

There is the argument, wars are created by men, let men fight them then.

Wars are created by stupid, reactive, compulsive men. They should be fought by stupid, reactive, compulsive men.

This guy I was 'debating', who is currently in Kuwait awaiting transport to Iraq to begin serving, was discounting "whiny liberals" that were anti-war (apparently, if you're anti-war, you're liberal) because we weren't there and talked about how we needed a few more terms of George W. Bush to "set this country straight." He then goes on a rant about how Clinton screwed up in Somalia and with the U.S.S Cole and Iraq in '98 and how that was just a diversion from the Lewinski scandal and how we all get our info on the Iraq war from our "liberal" media... Of course my version here is much more grammatically correct than his was.

I just thought: The ultimate idiot neo-con. He basically graduated from high school and joined the military. He's good at following orders, not having an original thought, and spouting the typical Rush Limbaugh Republican talking points.

If he's so gung ho, I guess I can give him this: At least he signed up and went over to fight, which is quite honorable in comparison to most of the chickenhawks.

If he's so gung ho, I guess I can give him this: At least he signed up and went over to fight, which is quite honorable in comparison to most of the chickenhawks.

Forget it. He wouldn't have made it in a community college and is probably unfit for any other job. Honor, maybe, but I'm inclined to think he had no other choice.

I do not support this war to be honest, the reasons for fighting it are unjust and should have been looked into by the international community before this conflict was allowed to commence. Unfortunately, the U.N. does little to regulate the U.S. in all reality.

If the draft were implemented due to an attack by Iran on either U.S. soil or on our troops, then yes, I would volunteer. I

Well yes. That is what the constitution says you must do as a member of the military. He is the commander in chief of all the armed forces.

But we would prosecute someone from another military who did the same thing if we felt their governments actions, and the actions carried out under command, were against international law.

But we would prosecute someone from another military who did the same thing if we felt their governments actions, and the actions carried out under command, were against international law.

that's because only other governments break international law... not the US, and definitely not under bush.

wow, i couldn't type that without laughing...

Archived