Downtown Raleigh's Future

WOW. Thanks Flash. You have an incredible talent.

It is so exciting to be able to visualize the entire DT areas renaissance. It's quite a dramatic change taking place downtown by 2008/2009. The addition of the Reynolds tower forces that side of downtown to stand out and be included into the overall panorama of DT Raleigh. Hopefully the N&O tower and the CAM tower will help a little bit to fill in the gap between Reynolds and Wachovia. The shot of DT from N. Raleigh may be a better angle in the future because I think the Reynolds tower will look much more contiguous with the rest of DT although from that angle the south end developments are minimized. One things for sure, in a couple of years things are going to be looking mighty nice in DT Raleigh.

WOW. Thanks Flash. You have an incredible talent.

It is so exciting to be able to visualize the entire DT areas renaissance. It's quite a dramatic change taking place downtown by 2008/2009. The addition of the Reynolds tower forces that side of downtown to stand out and be included into the overall panorama of DT Raleigh. Hopefully the N&O tower and the CAM tower will help a little bit to fill in the gap between Reynolds and Wachovia. The shot of DT from N. Raleigh may be a better angle in the future because I think the Reynolds tower will look much more contiguous with the rest of DT although from that angle the south end developments are minimized. One things for sure, in a couple of years things are going to be looking mighty nice in DT Raleigh.

Can you imagine what the skyline would look like with two or three towers spread out between Reynolds and Wachovia? Pretty impressive.

It's amazing to me that with all that massive density (the B&W photo), all of the visible buildings are along Fayetteville Street (except the Wake County Public Safety Building)

Imagine how amazing it would look if a street perpendicular to Fayetteville Street had that kind of density as well.

MAN! we need to hire some better architects. Check out the Urban Cactus building in Rotterdam, Holland. We need something interesting...well maybe not that interesting. :)

It's so interesting that the Reynolds building will be so close to the Wachovia building, yet is so secluded from the F St. blob from this angle.

But thanks for the photos!!

Edited by dmccall

MAN! we need to hire some better architects. Check out the Urban Cactus building in Rotterdam, Holland. We need something interesting...well maybe not that interesting. :)

It's so interesting that the Reynolds building will be so close to the Wachovia building, yet is so secluded from the F St. blob from this angle.

But thanks for the photos!!

I agree, but in the near future other projects, hopefully with some height will fill in the middle between the two area's.

I like skylines as much as the next guy, but it's really more important to develop a downtown that is liveable and has lots of activity on the street-level. Yes, we tend to hear that a lot on the board, but until you spend a lot of time DT as I do, you may not realize how far we have to go in this area to achieve connected DT 18 hour activity centers. So please don't let impressive skyline renderings make you forget the crucial street-level experience.

I like skylines as much as the next guy, but it's really more important to develop a downtown that is liveable and has lots of activity on the street-level. Yes, we tend to hear that a lot on the board, but until you spend a lot of time DT as I do, you may not realize how far we have to go in this area to achieve connected DT 18 hour activity centers. So please don't let impressive skyline renderings make you forget the crucial street-level experience.

Have to give an 'amen' every time you say that jojo. Dana did some great research on the number of buildable lots downtown still available...over 100 I think? Downtown as a pretty picture is nothing without it being viable as a place to live.

Everyone for the most part knows that. It's like getting the new wood floors installed for a house you're remodeling, and feeling happy about it. Even though you're only halfway through the project.

Don't be a party pooper. This is just the beginning... ;)

(By this question, I presume you mean Flash's photos on page 7 of the thread)

Flash,

I think that The Raleigh was 90 degrees off in your rendering. In their rendering, they show the near side, the left side and the right side all tightly bound by streets. Given the nature of the rectangular property, I think that the rendering is if the East face of "The Raleigh". So Morgan is on the left and Hillsborough is on the right. If I'm right, the building will have minimal impact on the skyline from the money shot, but much impact from the Broughton shot.

Wasn't sure if this needed a different thread or not. So here's something new to ponder.

Last night on WRAL, they had a story about Campbell University's (my alma mater) proposed move of their Law School to downtown Raleigh. The story isn't on the WRAL site nor the school's. www.campbell.edu

What kind of an impact would having a nationally-ranked, well-repsected law school relocating to the downtown area? Campbell itself is small with only about 5,000 undergrads and about 2,000 grads (Law, Divinity, Pharmacy, Business, Education) on their campus in Buies Creek, 30 miles South of Raleigh.

I think this could be a very positive thing for both downtown and the university. Thoughts...

^ I saw that story. I believe their board would make a decision within a year... also mentioned that Elon had moved their Law School to DT Greensboro with some success. The idea is they'd be near Law firms, courts, etc., so it would provide great access for their students. It would be in the neighborhood of 300 students I think. This could only be positive for both IMO.

I think so too. While I love Campbell, its location in a very rural portion of Harnett County is limited. I mean, until my senior year, the nearest stoplight was at least 10 miles away.. think RURAL.

Anyhow, I can see only good things by locating the law students near courts, law firms and state government. Plus, having a student population in downtown Raleigh would bring many benefits.

Wasn't sure if this needed a different thread or not. So here's something new to ponder.

Last night on WRAL, they had a story about Campbell University's (my alma mater) proposed move of their Law School to downtown Raleigh. The story isn't on the WRAL site nor the school's. www.campbell.edu

What kind of an impact would having a nationally-ranked, well-repsected law school relocating to the downtown area? Campbell itself is small with only about 5,000 undergrads and about 2,000 grads (Law, Divinity, Pharmacy, Business, Education) on their campus in Buies Creek, 30 miles South of Raleigh.

I think this could be a very positive thing for both downtown and the university. Thoughts...

Amazingly enough, which they mentioned at the end of the story, was that "Sprawlie Raleigh" is the largest state capital not to have a law school.

http://www.wral.com/news/10199345/detail.html

Edited by Cary NC

I don't think West At North will be tall enough to really make it on the skyline view. If so, it will probably only be as tall as that office space in the base of the Quorum. Did y'all see how low that balloon was? This is why I wish W@N were like 6 stories tall and had a companion building next door. That West St area is pretty low lying.

The Adam and Eve (adult novelties) apple (as in garden of eden/snake incident) baloon was for Dirty, a nightclub west of West/east of the tracks and had NOTHING to do with West at North.

It will not be significant from the *southern* skyline, as the land slopes down north of the Bus Station/Police district office. From Captial Blvd and the Broughton (or Glenwood/Peace) skyline, West at North will be quite significant. A six story structure in that location will set the bar very low for density within walking distance of the State Government TTA stop.

West Street is low as it approaches Peace, but is as high at the train tracks and two blocks north of them as 222 Glenwood is.