Downtown Raleigh's Future

Can we just have Hobgood Architects design everything in Raleigh?!?  Various design concepts of a proposal for a boutique hotel at 100 S Harrington St in the warehouse district are shown on their website. 

http://www.kennethhobgood.com/the-ark-royal/prvyq5k855g20s0jnsu8ijjtunwcud

That is right on the Civitas site (I incorrectly thought the Kane plan included that). Client withheld....hmm....

Are the things they're designing actually feasible? or do they just do this as a "what if" scenario? The condos/apartments they designed for the space next to Fox Liquor on Martin Street are awesome too.  Much better than the J Davis crap we've been getting.

Their submission for the NC AIA headquarters on their site looks very similar to what is there now

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting article in the TBJ today reports that Red Hat will likely max out it's office space in the downtown HQ within 2 years. This could mean that they will probably be searching for more space within a year, which may also create more demand for towers such as the Edison and Charter Square North.

• 1 month later...

I received the following email from Russ Stephenson today. I'm posting it here for anyone who is interested in participating:

Last week we had an overwhelming turnout for the public hearing on the United Development Ordinance (UDO) remapping.   Many were not able to get into the Council chambers, or even sign up to be heard.  The public hearing was extended to July 21st and has now been moved to Fletcher Opera Theater, in the Duke Energy Center at 6:00 pm to accommodate a bigger crowd.  At this time, only those who signed up originally will be allowed to speak, however I intend to make a motion as we begin that night that anyone who shows be allowed to speak with time permitting.

This is the most extensive re-write of our zoning code in over 50 years and your opinion is critical for us to get it right. Because there are 50 speakers already signed up, and many may not be able to make it out again, I am going to conduct a virtual public hearing.  All you have to do is record your two minute opinion on your smartphone, and then either post it on my Facebook Page (or post to YouTube, Instagram or somewhere else and e-mail the link to me at [email protected]) and I will share them with my colleagues.  While you are there, like and follow Russ for Raleigh to join the conversation and view the virtual public hearing videos in your newsfeed.

Raleigh did not become the best place to live, work and play in America by accident.  It took vision and leadership from our entire community, and your participation is indispensable on this very important issue.  Please share this with anyone you know who has concerns or opinions on the UDO and remapping.

Thank you for loving Raleigh enough to take the time to share your concerns.  Together, we will get this right.

Respectfully,

Russ

Edited by RALNATIVE

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this blurb about the N&O site in an article about how Tampa bay and St Pete should look at Raleigh as a model for downtown revitalization. 

•The News & Observer newspaper building, which went on the market in December, is under contract to a yet-to-be-named buyer who plans to raze it and develop the block for mixed use. At one time there were a dozen bids for the dated office building three blocks from Citrix, according to David Diaz, CEO of the Downtown Raleigh Alliance.

EDIT:  here's the link:  http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/economicdevelopment/where-should-tampa-bays-downtowns-find-inspiration-check-out-raleigh-nc/2239512

Edited by Green_man

In December the N&O said they are looking for 40,000 sq ft of office space and prefer to remain downtown. The printing presses, which they still need to a lesser extent, could go to the existing distribution plant in Garner... or perhaps cohabit with the Charlotte Observer, also owned by McClatchy, which moved its press operations to a former Dow Jones facility in University City last year. The Flexo press technology used by the N&O and previously the Observer seemed like leading-edge 25 years ago but turned out to be a mistake.

In December the N&O said they are looking for 40,000 sq ft of office space and prefer to remain downtown. The printing presses, which they still need to a lesser extent, could go to the existing distribution plant in Garner... or perhaps cohabit with the Charlotte Observer, also owned by McClatchy, which moved its press operations to a former Dow Jones facility in University City last year. The Flexo press technology used by the N&O and previously the Observer seemed like leading-edge 25 years ago but turned out to be a mistake.

Can you elaborate?  What's the problem with the technology?

• 5 months later...

City of Raleigh Economic Development Office tweeted out that both Mercedes Benz and GE; who picked Atlanta and Boston, respectively; had sites in DOWNTOWN Raleigh as finalists before decided on the other cities!  Very interesting since in the past it seemed that all major corporate HQ relocation sites were proposed for RTP and suburbs and not in downtown.  Even as recent as Metlife choosing Cary.

GE is 600 jobs and MB is 1,000.  Would've been some impressive developments to house those numbers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2015 at 9:50 AM, Green_man said:

Can we just have Hobgood Architects design everything in Raleigh?!?  Various design concepts of a proposal for a boutique hotel at 100 S Harrington St in the warehouse district are shown on their website. 

http://www.kennethhobgood.com/the-ark-royal/prvyq5k855g20s0jnsu8ijjtunwcud

I going to borrow this comment to post this. Hooya.  

Hobgood-Hargett.jpg-large

Edited by Jones_
Uploading Pic

• 1 month later...

I updated this here map (sorry I know its not pretty) to reflect as many updates as I could remember off the top of my head, and also add some orange polygons to represent a handful of townhouse proposals for east downtown I know of. For those that don't live out there, eastern downtown has as much activity as the rest of downtown does as far as the overall change occurring. Empty lots are filling up with large new homes and many many renovations are happening. It has gone from "I hear there's some new things starting over there" to total domino effect. 

• 3 months later...

Something I've been mulling over for a while, I think is a tad of a problem. The eventual demolition of the NC Equipment Company building will only exacerbate the problem...namely that Raleigh lacks the building stock that small tech and other leading edge creative firms prefer. Two others are gone already Staudts Bakery was demolished for 927 W Morgan apartments a few years ago) and the Dillion project...nice as it is, is taking one of those offline forever and also the Carolina Coach building was just taken down. Southland Ballroom is up for demo too. These are mainly old industrial spaces. They are of course part of the recruitment strategy for getting the type of talent these companies need, but also are cheaper to renovate (provided the building is structurally sound) and naturally provide flexible floor plans which matches modern collaborative workplace strategies. We have virtually none of these types of buildings left (particularly downtown) as seen by the fact that the old Winn Dixie warehouse on Whitaker Mill now has been pressed into service for Lynwood Brewing and some small tech firm in there now... the point  being this space is nowhere near downtown and is relatively modern compared to spaces in other cities.  

Other buildings that cross my mind as taken or are using just an old space (not a warehouse) in Raleigh are:

Helig Levine - has Cherokee Investment Partners among others

"the lighting building" at Peace and West - Leoforce and Sprectraforce IT companies moving in soon

Dr Pepper Building - Personify moving in soon

518 W Jones - Google of course

Raleigh Denim's space

Citirix

Nehi Bottling

Royal Bakery

Centerline

HQ Raleigh

Raleigh Wine shop (The Southern Railway company store) - also has a tech firm moving in upstairs

Powerhouse Buildings - Tobacco Road moving in

Trolley Repair building - Clouds Brewing

Creamery

Stones Warehouse in on deck

Raleigh Brewing 

The Seaboard Warehouses (not old at all, but being put to commercial use)

The Hanley food court in an old post office warehouse. 

Anyway....I hear a lot folks lament the lack of highrises in all forums, and the argument put forth that we are running out of parking lots for them, so build taler now. My counter point is that we are not running out, but have essentially run out of the spaces we really cannot recreate...this old warehouses spaces that do not need a giant anchor tenant, but are suited to the smaller innovative firms and businesses that really are what is driving Raleigh. I know I know....Red Hat is in a shiny tower. But they are an exception. Also Allscripts going to North Hills is an exception. What options are left? Some near Raleigh Brewing facing Hillsborough St. Thats about it. So all of this typing just to point folks thoughts towards the situation, whether it is of particular concern to you or not...

I feel the same way... I wish Raleigh had Durham's supply of old buildings available for adaptive reuse! 

Can't remember if I've shared this idea here before or not:  209 through 219 S Wilmington St.: stretch of 1 to 2 story storefronts (Taz's and old Raleigh Sandwich Shop)

• build footings & columns in the corners of the existing buildings and extend up through the roof.  then pour a floor slab above across.
  • then this floor slab would serve as a base for a 4-5 story building above
  • metal and glass canopy to bridge the gap between the new building above and old buildings below.
  • use salvaged brick from demo'd warehouses across the state for the facades.
  • interior could be a lot of exposed wood beams and metal.  use reclaimed barn wood for interior wall sheathing
  • repurpose an abandoned water tower from rural nc onto the roof - could collect water to flush toilets or even just for watering rooftop gardens, etc.

Basically, creating a new old building.  Adding density.  Without harming existing businesses and existing storefronts.

20 hours ago, Green_man said:

I feel the same way... I wish Raleigh had Durham's supply of old buildings available for adaptive reuse! 

Can't remember if I've shared this idea here before or not:  209 through 219 S Wilmington St.: stretch of 1 to 2 story storefronts (Taz's and old Raleigh Sandwich Shop)

• build footings & columns in the corners of the existing buildings and extend up through the roof.  then pour a floor slab above across.
  • then this floor slab would serve as a base for a 4-5 story building above
  • metal and glass canopy to bridge the gap between the new building above and old buildings below.
  • use salvaged brick from demo'd warehouses across the state for the facades.
  • interior could be a lot of exposed wood beams and metal.  use reclaimed barn wood for interior wall sheathing
  • repurpose an abandoned water tower from rural nc onto the roof - could collect water to flush toilets or even just for watering rooftop gardens, etc.

Basically, creating a new old building.  Adding density.  Without harming existing businesses and existing storefronts.

I like it. I have envisioned several ways to make new old buildings including making a whole town out of houses moved to the site that were facing demolition elsewhere. You're idea takes what I've seen in places like DC (shiny buildings built around and over existing old buildings) a step further. I have also about rebuilding lost buildings here exactly as they were. Most of our cast iron stuff is gone (Briggs and one just down from it are about all we have), so find a foundry that can recreate the pieces, and find some old brick for facades, find barn wood for floors and rafters (maybe hide some supporting steel in there) and bring them back! I can think of about 10 key spots that would change the entire feel of downtown. 

• 1 month later...