Downtown Raleigh's Future

This is a pretty cool building - not just aesthetically, but also from a technological standpoint.

Also mentions other buildings in the pipeline for the 6 acre site including a 20-25 story building, some sort of "iconic" architecture to welcome folks to downtown from that side of the city, and space for 1-2 400 room hotels.

• Like 1

I am going to wait to see final renderings before getting to excited about this. (For the entire project, all phases) Everything new we get downtown is horrible. SECU building and Charter 1 for example. It sounds really awesome, but you know how things are here.

What does "iconic" mean you think?

Are they talking something really tall like a skyscraper or space needle type thing? Or am I just dreaming??

SECU building? I thought that was by far the best new building over say 3 stories, in the whole Triangle region....(other than the door handles being on the wrong sides of the doors....push on the pull side, and vice versa)

Edited by Jones_

1 hour ago, DPK said:

I would not be opposed to whomever architect they used going for a Tower 2.  I love their building.

I had hunch that there might be restrictions on building a building they themselves would not be using (banks cannot either apparently). It looks like the credit union cannot even invest in another company building an office building (though banks obviously can), though in theory up to 10% of the 'unimpaired' assets could be lent to a single member, but I'm not sure if any credit union does (or is allowed) to lend to members for business purposes, period. So, no tower 2 for SECU unless they'd be occupying it in some fashion...? Anyone who knows better than me, feel free to weigh in....DPK, I also see now, that you possibly didn't mean SECU building something themselves but perhaps just the architect doing a project in DTR again....? Edit, the architect was O'Brian Atkins.

http://legacy.cuna.org/gov_affairs/download/cu_powers_march_30_1130_am.pdf

It is not the

22 hours ago, Jones_ said:

SECU building? I thought that was by far the best new building over say 3 stories, in the whole Triangle region....(other than the door handles being on the wrong sides of the doors....push on the pull side, and vice versa)

design of the building I hate...it is the glass...it is awful and cheap looking...can't put my finger on it

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

DPK, I also see now, that you possibly didn't mean SECU building something themselves but perhaps just the architect doing a project in DTR again....? Edit, the architect was O'Brian Atkins.

http://legacy.cuna.org/gov_affairs/download/cu_powers_march_30_1130_am.pdf

Yep that's what I meant. :)  Thanks for the other fyi as well, had no idea those restrictions were a thing.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:02 AM, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I am going to wait to see final renderings before getting to excited about this. (For the entire project, all phases) Everything new we get downtown is horrible. SECU building and Charter 1 for example. It sounds really awesome, but you know how things are here.

What does "iconic" mean you think?

Are they talking something really tall like a skyscraper or space needle type thing? Or am I just dreaming??

I think both the SECU Building and Charter Square are nice looking. It's not like Raleigh has dozens of glass towers so they all blend in, there are just a handful, and I think they are good looking. The design for the Exploris Building looks very interesting. 

I know the MLS stadium conversation is somewhat played out and really its just a waiting game to see which site the team selects, but... I saw a comment on dtraleigh that made me rethink the amphitheater site...

Really, the biggest negative for the site was the closing of Lenoir St, but thinking outside the box - closing Cabarrus is a much easier proposition since it only extends 1 block in either direction (planned closing at train tracks with West St extension/Union Station).  You could get rid of the police building and add an parking deck access street.  But leave Pooles alone!

red-hat-site.jpg

Hi everyone,

I've lurked on this site for a while (looking for stadium rumors, to be honest), finally decided to join in.  Green_man, that was me on DTR.  I've been all over mapfrappe trying to find the optimal site--as if I had a say, ha!  But I really think closing Cabarrus hurts no one.  It would actually help Poole's, IMO.

I missed that Cabarrus was being closed with the West St extension...actually, it looked like to me that part of the project had been shelved (I am guessing due to the cost overruns on the core aspects of the station....). Links to info Green Man?

So I think I counted 10 buildings of at least 10 stories solidly planned or going up up currently:

• Dillion
  • Smokey Hollow
  • One Glenwood
  • 400 H
  • 301 Hillsborough (counting as one instead of 2)
  • Charter Square North
  • Edison/Highwoods Lot (the least solidly planned on this list)
  • Courtyard/Enterprise Hotel
  • Hilton Garden
  • Wilmington St/Shaw area hotel

Of course N&O is dangling out there but with the sale canceled, i'm leaving it off for now. 

I've been watching the downtown revival since the Cotton Mill came online in 1996 and this is by far the biggest surge to date. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, InitialD said:

Good list. But what really are the plans for the Wake county property redevelopment? I would think nothing on the scale of the unfortunately canceled Lightner project but I have not heard a lot about the land sales and redevelopment.

Did you mean the City's block north of Nash? I think they are still going to have to sell off some surplus stuff and leverage against those funds. For instance, another, not particularly noteworthy old Dillion building across from VAE and 311 is being vacated one department at a time...I know one group ended up in One Hannover. That parcel likely would get sold along with the entire portion that cuts through the block that includes the Fire Station from Dawson to Harrington. Land is fetching what, 6 million an acre after the 301 auction? It'll be an interesting process for sure and hopefully include some mid rise height and good architecture. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Developer: Sale of downtown Raleigh’s Flythe Cyclery shop opens up opportunities for big mixed-use development

it appears the Flythe Cyclery building at 424 W. Peace St. has been sold. Don't have access to the article so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/04/03/developer-sale-of-downtown-raleigh-s-flythe.html

53 minutes ago, InitialD said:

Developer: Sale of downtown Raleigh’s Flythe Cyclery shop opens up opportunities for big mixed-use development

it appears the Flythe Cyclery building at 424 W. Peace St. has been sold. Don't have access to the article so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/04/03/developer-sale-of-downtown-raleigh-s-flythe.html

Yeah, it's the same people who own most of the rest of that side of the street.  They don't plan on kicking Endless Grind out any time soon, but they're also not looking to fill in the void left by Flythe closing.

It's April. Why does it seem to take so long to get anything built downtown? Thank you Mr. Kane for the Dillon! We've been talking about some of these same projects for years and years and they keep getting dragged out and out and out. I wanted to see some of these buildings get built before I'm dead and gone! Geez.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Empire has submitted to rezone their .18 acre property at the SW corner of Dawson & Davie from DX-4-SH to DX-12-UG.  Block to the east across Dawson is DX-20-SH.  If built to the proposed max, a 12 floor building seems like an appropriate transition into the warehouse district.  Empire's narrative mentions retail as primary use on ground floor, building will definitely have office uses, and may include residential.

The city is holding a open house for the Person St / Blount St corridor redesign today. 

Thursday May 4, 2017
Raleigh Municipal Building (222 W. Hargett Street): Room 303
Drop by any time between 4:30 –7:30 p.m. to ask questions and provide feedback.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/TransPlan/BlountPersonStreetProject.html