Downtown Raleigh's Future

11 hours ago, Tenkai said:

The city is holding a open house for the Person St / Blount St corridor redesign today. 

http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/TransPlan/BlountPersonStreetProject.html

Dang it, I just saw this and missed it. Were you there? What sorts of comments were provided? I had some pretty well developed thoughts on making these two feel like neighborhood streets again instead of race tracks. Bulbing out intersections with stormwater capturing setups (even those without signals), curb separated bike lanes and maybe even adding a signal or two (Polk at Person e.g.). Having said that though, it's heading in the right direction and I'm happy its going to begin family soon according to the link. 

Edit: After reading over the recommendations, there are in fact bike lanes (just not curb separated) and plenty of bulb-outs (just not the stormwater BMP kind). 8/10. 

Edited by Jones_

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

That one isn't new...been on our radar for a year or so, but it is good to know Lambert has more stuff coming....the additional 9 units mentioned is the first I've heard of a phase two for those.  I like their stuff even though it is expensive. Also for folks in Raleigh in particular this should be an attention getting quote:

“We’re sort of architecture buffs, and we wanted to give people a little bit more than what they might have been used to getting around here,” Lambert says of his company’s success so far in securing buyers for its houses, townhouses and condos in the region.

Townhouses in general have largely been a missing component in downtown Raleigh and are important transitions from big stuff to single family older neighborhoods. The townhouses we did get in the early 2000s were crap orientation....St Mary's Townhomes, Ellington Place and Governor's Hill off Peace St both face inward, away from the scary street...

• Like 1

File under: Extremely unlikely.  But also, makes too much sense not to do it.

Move central prison to a rural location.  Use 41 acre site for soccer stadium, future Hurricanes arena, retail district, parking decks, easier connections for west downtown neighborhoods to Dix Park.  Would need light rail along existing rail corridor(s) to handle the crowds.

Could be a pretty architecturally-unique stadium to use the historic prison walls along the south side as part of the facade.

central prison stadium district.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

File under: Extremely unlikely.  But also, makes too much sense not to do it.

Move central prison to a rural location.  Use 41 acre site for soccer stadium, future Hurricanes arena, retail district, parking decks, easier connections for west downtown neighborhoods to Dix Park.  Would need light rail along existing rail corridor(s) to handle the crowds.

Could be a pretty architecturally-unique stadium to use the historic prison walls along the south side as part of the facade.

central prison stadium district.JPG

Sounds like a great idea. But forget the hockey arena. Save it for a MLB stadium!!

Article about Remedy Diner moving... http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/article156357019.html

Quote from article: "She said the move is prompted by Moore Square redevelopment. Remedy’s building – with a butterfly mural on the outside – eventually will be torn down with a bigger building going in its place, Holder said."

Sucks that a 90+ year old building is being torn down.  Wish they could build in the parking lot around the building instead, or incorporate the building into the new building.

There was a member on this forum, @vitaviatic I believe (who stopped posting in like 2010) who was very interested in the potential of redeveloping Central Prison. Basically, the thesis was, beyond just what can be achieved on the land occupied by Central Prison itself, the prison's presence is suppressing the potential of what could/should be the premier urban neighborhood in the city (the area between NC State and downtown.)

The problem is, the cost of building an equivalent maximum security facility out somewhere else would be absolutely enormous. And NC doubled down by building the hospital there a few years ago. So yeah, we're at least a decade or two from any such deal happening.

• 3 weeks later...

An article in the N&O today about how the two new towers on Hillsborough Street fared in the appearance commission. 

One thing of note, the article mentions that North Carolina has a law prohibiting municipalities from legislating aesthetics. So really, we can suggest things, but not decree them.

N&O: Here's how 2 towers planned for Hillsborough Street fare before the appearance commission

400 Hillsbourgh plus One Glenwood will make this the most changed area of downtown in the near future. It'll almost be like a neighborhood of downtown as opposed to being simply, part of downtown. I hope the retail pieces complement the area and fill up with things that support downtown living in varied ways (i.e., no more street level law offices, and probably have plenty of drinking spots for now too...). 

• Like 1

So if i understand that article right, 301 Hillsborough is being delayed because a change to the appearance needs to be made?

But didn't it also say that the state can't mandate how buildings look? Im confused, had to read through it quickly.

4 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I think that if NCFC can get a solid stadium plan, Raleigh has a good chance of being awarded an MLS team, what with so many other bids around the country falling through — even Charlotte's.  But we shall see, when the announcement comes.

Raleigh is ripe for another major league team and MLS would fit nicely.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

MLS is visiting Raleigh next Wednesday.  There will be an "important announcement" on stadium plans

What I am hearing on WRAL is that 4-5 different locations in Wake county are being toured for possible stadium options. If this is true then I don't think that an announcement would occur on the same day?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

What I am hearing on WRAL is that 4-5 different locations in Wake county are being toured for possible stadium options. If this is true then I don't think that an announcement would occur on the same day?

Raleigh sorely needs a sports complex downtown, or very close to downtown. It's just one of those things that makes an urban core truly vibrant.

Flash without something concrete to discuss really grinds my gears...it comes off like a pyramid scheme or a poor conceived concept ala Soleil tower. I can't get hyped about this until I see and hear some real details. But I will definitely go to MLS games, especially if they are downtown. Might even get season tickets. 

• Like 1

I know we'll find out a lot more details about the soccer stadium in a few days, but I can't stop wondering where this stadium will go.   I think my preferred site would be the former Greyhound site (burned down Metropolitan).

Close Lane St. since it doesn't go anywhere.  Who knows if the apartment building ever gets built there with the stigma around the site.   Close to Capital Blvd/Dawson/McDowell for North-South car traffic and Edenton/Morgan for East-West.  Of course needs major transit plans like any stadium in DT - at least on the rail line of one-time proposed LRT.  

Within 3 blocks from 3 proposed 20-story towers.  Expands edge of Glenwood South.  Current dead zone and so inactive stadium doesn't create a new dead zone.  

greyhound site.JPG

• Like 1

The mention of Greyhound reminded me that another bus facility was recently demolished downtown bounded by Blount, Person, Branch and Bragg. The neighborhood is changing very rapidly...take a look on realtor.com and see how many houses are in 300k+ range. Plus Bhavana's brewing facility is there (not sure if it will have a tap room, but I feel like that is in the works at some point). Anyway, this site is in the grid, easy access to I-40 and along the coveted Person/Blount corridor and close to a greenway. 

That's the Terry Sanford Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse. Of course it could be replaced with a new building, but that's politics. The building does have a relatively new 560 kW solar system. I haven't been inside the building in years, but I suspect it's in so-so condition. 

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18614254/310-NEW-BERN-AVE-Raleigh-NC/

• 3 weeks later...

I still love the design. And what's that...maybe like 20 story massing on that future phase? Would be very imposing sitting on that bluff above S Saunders. 

As an after thought, It might be a good idea to tie in that southern section of Fayetteville St to this project, across MLK additional access to the site...plus  a light there would help the pedestrian situation too since cars tend to race through the area en-masse