Downtown Raleigh's Future

That being said, my vision for Fayetteville Street is one of glamour and high style, and high energy.  I think it will be awesome when we can watch the Christmas parade come down Fayetteville Street once again.

I think your vision sounds great. In my opinion, Glenwood south may steal the title for glamour and high style. A luxury hotel would better suite that crowd than Fayetteville Street.

This may sound tacky, but I've always wished the flea market would move out there, and build that big city / urban vibe. Believe it or not, you can get some really cook knock off stuff there that you'd find in NYC.

I want to see great restaurants like a good ol carolina bbq place with outdoor dining something that highlights North Carolina food. Upscale shopping like you have around Georgetown in DC (Polo etc.). Also a 24 hour street with coffee shops opening early right after the bars on the street close at 2 in the morning. Hotels, and condos above all of it.

I like how the street lights look with the acorn and the view of the Cap. Building and the BTI center.

I really like the idea of an urban entertainment district near the Cultural/RCC district. Having a totally new draw like a movie theater and maybe some high end retail and a boutique hotel. It seems like that is what is being considered in the city proposals, which should be a good start. I think lot of class A office (maybe another HQ to go with PE, and RBC), hotels, condos (I'd like to see some mid-rise condos too--maybe 15+ stories), and ground floor retail (restaurants) will always be a good combination.

Edited by ChiefJoJo

Agreed as to Sir Walter: it should be restored to its hey-dey charm & beauty. I think with the convention center opening, there would be increased demand for something above and beyond the Sheraton or Marriott; if they made it a 5-star showplace with a great il Palio type restaurant in the lobby, it would really add something to the street, and to downtown in general.

Not that the downtown market can support it just yet, but I would love to see more art galleries, upscale national retailers and a diverse collection of local eateries. Nothing that gets so generic that it could be Anywhere USA, but just enough chic to really set the street apart from the other areas of town.

My 10-year-old daughter says we need the American Girl Place to open a franchise here.

I want to see something that will bring folks out there 20 hours a day (6am-2am?) 7 days a week. Get some bars and restaurants out there and you have the nighttime aspect of things covered, but this should be a destination on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, too. Something like a department store and accompanying boutique retail would be great. It would be neat if Belk wanted to open back up on Fayetteville Street. I suspect we're still years too early for that. They'll open a larger store in Charlotte first, and if that works out then they'd consider Raleigh. If not Belk, some other kind of department store would be great. It should be a nice place, but it doesn't have to be so upscale that it makes your mind bleed.

I like the ideas I'm reading here, but the bottom line for Fay. St.'s reawakening, as for downtown's as a hole, will be how many RESIDENTS will be in the area. I am pleased with all the condo projects coming up, but not pleased with the mean price-let's face it, it's the younger crowd that's usually out and about, and unless more affordable housing is constructed, downtown revitalization in Raleighwood is not going to be entirely successful.

That's not to say that I don't think great strides are being made. But we do have a long way to go as far as giving people a place to rest their heads in downtown proper (I'm talking about within the grid itself, not up glenwood, etc.).

That being said, I would like to see a large residential building (or three) go up on or adjacent to Fayetteville St.

Yes, some more low-to-medium rent apartments would be beneficial. Fay street needs all the types of retail a standard suburban mall would offer, as well as some more interesting stuff. Once it extends to the PE Arts Center and the new housing/hotels go up on that side of the street, I think it'll explode.

I would like to see many restaurants in a row with outdoor dining like the old warehouse district in Vancouver, where you have people on the sidewalk and full inside. I would like to see these restaurants with windows that open up like doors to blur the line between indoors and outdoors.

I want a theater and a library. I want more high end shopping or at least boutique shopping, mostly high end women's shops. I would like to see hidden simple bars right off Fay St. like Lizzies, under the Martin St Music Hall. I would like to see a live R&R music hall open along with the Lincoln. (Open back up MSMH). I want to see a boutique hotel like the one Greg Hatem is planning along with the Marriott and The Sheraton. (keep the Sir Walter as an old persons home since I don

:D

I would like to see many restaurants in a row with outdoor dining like the old warehouse district in Vancouver,  where you have people on the sidewalk and full inside.  I would like to see these restaurants with windows that open up like doors to blur the line between indoors and outdoors. 

I want a theater and a library.  I want more high end shopping or at least boutique shopping, mostly high end women's shops.  I would like to see hidden simple bars right off  Fay St. like Lizzies, under the Martin St Music Hall.  I would like to see a live R&R music hall open along with the Lincoln.  (Open back up MSMH).  I want to see a boutique hotel like the one Greg Hatem is planning along with the Marriott and The Sheraton.  (keep the Sir Walter  as an old persons home since I don

The next 30-floor building they build should have red outline lights on it akin to the (green) ones on Bank of America in Dallas. It would make Raleigh look very distinctive and pretty. I think it would draw people's interests, make them want to see what's happening.

Edited by MR-2

I like the ideas I'm reading here, but the bottom line for Fay. St.'s reawakening, as for downtown's as a hole, will be how many RESIDENTS will be in the area.  I am pleased with all the condo projects coming up, but not pleased with the mean price-let's face it, it's the younger crowd that's usually out and about, and unless more affordable housing is constructed, downtown revitalization in Raleighwood is not going to be entirely successful. 

That's not to say that I don't think great strides are being made.  But we do have a long way to go as far as giving people a place to rest their heads in downtown proper (I'm talking about within the grid itself, not up glenwood, etc.). 

That being said, I would like to see a large residential building (or three) go up on or adjacent to Fayetteville St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the key right here...grid residents. Some ideas.... Old Wachovia building...$120k condos with retro appointments. The Professional Building at Harget and Mcdowell ( on a block that also touchs Fayetteville)...$150k condos appointed like a Pottery Barn catalog. The Commercial and Raleigh buildings $120k condos with Ikea style appointments, old Capital Club building $150k condos with restoration hardware style appointments. You need 1000 residents right on Fayetteville and 10,000 in downtown proper....office towers are not going to cut it alone...gotta have residents....my four ideas are about 200-300 units for a population of say 500. Get 500 more for me and you will get a HT Express on the ground floor of the Old Wachovia building...then a wolf camera, then a Blockbuster, then a Ben and Jerrys and on it goes from there...

Edited by Jones133

This is the key right here...grid residents. Some ideas.... Old Wachovia building...$120k condos with retro appointments. The Professional Building at Harget and Mcdowell ( on a block that also touchs Fayetteville)...$150k condos appointed like a Pottery Barn catalog. The Commercial and Raleigh buildings $120k condos with Ikea style appointments, old Capital Club building $150k condos with restoration hardware style appointments. You need 1000 residents right on Fayetteville and 10,000 in downtown proper....office towers are not going to cut it alone...gotta have residents....my four ideas are about 200-300 units for a population of say 500. Get 500 more for me and you will get a HT Express on the ground floor of the Old Wachovia building...then a wolf camera, then a Blockbuster, then a Ben and Jerrys and on it goes from there...

Yes, we really need residents, and at reasonable prices. Almost anything near there is over $200k right now. The potential is there and I like your thinking, Jones.

I would like to see many restaurants in a row with outdoor dining like the old warehouse district in Vancouver,  where you have people on the sidewalk and full inside.  I would like to see these restaurants with windows that open up like doors to blur the line between indoors and outdoors. 

I want a theater and a library.  I want more high end shopping or at least boutique shopping, mostly high end women's shops.  I would like to see hidden simple bars right off  Fay St. like Lizzies, under the Martin St Music Hall.  I would like to see a live R&R music hall open along with the Lincoln.  (Open back up MSMH).  I want to see a boutique hotel like the one Greg Hatem is planning along with the Marriott and The Sheraton.  (keep the Sir Walter  as an old persons home since I don

I think the old Wachovia building would be great as condos...and I seem to remember something about someone wanting to eventually convert them to condos a while back. As it is now, its becoming one of the uglier buildings (if not the ugliest) on Fayetteville Street. (okay maybe that black first citizens could take the prize as well)

^^ The old Wachovia Building is now housing the NC Court of Appeals.

I seem to recall hearing that it was not suitable for condos because of building code issues and lack of available parking (and don't tell me the residents could just use transit-- we all know that's not a possibility for most people. Yet.)

• 2 months later...

I kind of like the marketing they are using right now as casting Fayetteville St. as "North Carolina's Main Street". I know Fayetteville St. has historical context, however, I think a name change may make a more prominent impression on people. The view from the Capitol Building to the Progress Center for the Arts should be pretty amazing.

It's going to be amazing to see in 2-3 years when this all takes shape in the south end/center city core:

Hudson

Fayetteville St

new RCC

Marriott Hotel

Site 1 entertainment, retail, office, residential

Site 4 "Lafayette" boutique hotel & condos

RBC HQ & condos

Paladium Plaza

lots of restaurants, etc.

I think once this all opens up, including the great view from Prgress Energy Center to the Capitol, we will realize what a truly great effort this has been, and what a great city Raleigh is and can be.

Edited by ChiefJoJo

Anything they can do to add vibrance to downtown is a plus. The whole idea is to get more people downtown...and this includes getting the locals out of the burbs to make downtown a 24/7 place to visit. I think that they are doing a pretty good job marketing it. I would like to see more TV spots that showcase what's happenning downtown. Whether it is a calendar of events or promo spots on bars, restaurants and museums. I obviusly think the RCC will help a great deal and any press relating to development adds excitement.

Personally, I would like to see an ampitheater built downtown where the symphony could perform like in Cary. They could also host numerous events down there similar to Live After 5. With Fayetteville Mall gone, I would like to see a new gathering place with festivites on-going. This will generate greater business oppotunities in the core.

It would also be nice if Raleigh could attract a one of a kind shopping destination that you can't find elsewhere in the area. Something like a Bloomingdales or Tiffany's or Virgin Records actually in downtown. Kind of like Chicago's Miracle Mile. If anyone has been to Chicago, you will know what I am talking about. I would be really cool to do some Christmas shopping on Fayetteville Street with live jazz performers on the sidewalks.

Edited by avery

I like the "viral" marketing going on right now. Getting a friend/neighbor/co-worker/whatever who have never been downtown to go to Glenwood South, or City Market, or the Warehouse/Depot district, etc. and seeing them realize what they've been missing out on is a lot of fun. And DT still feels "not ready for primetime" yet, at least along Fayetville Street. Artsplosure, First Night, Alive After 5, Raleigh Downtown Alive, Wednesday night movies in City Market during the summer, and other events are getting people into the "habit" of coming downtown and possibly looking at relocating.

I would hate for people to come to downtown "unguided", look around the government complex or harrington/wilmington, see nothing going on and go home upset. How does the city "help" these people, I have no idea... I have played with the idea of "podcast walking tours" of various lengths and focuses (the two remaining city squares and the govenor's mansion, exploris/capitol square/history and natural science museum, City Market to Glenwood South and back, etc.) but I don't have a "radio voice" and don't know where I'd be able to serve it from.

I know there are a lot of great restaurants already in place, but if there was a "cheesecake factory"-ish restaurant with bulit in name recognition, it might be able to pull people in. When the Crabtree location opened, there was a half hour and up wait just to get take out cheesecake, and an hour or so to eat there.

I think the southern blocks of Fayetville Street could be closed to vehicular traffic to keep AA5 and other events in the vicinity of where they are held now. Also, the county owns the block due west of the new convention center site, for potential future CC expansion.... they could put up a stage/bandshell there and host outdoor concerts there! there will be more than enough parking in that area, and people could come in from out of town and stay at a nearby hotel (Sheraton, Marriot, Lafayette, Clarion, etc.)

It's going to be amazing to see in 2-3 years when this all takes shape in the south end/center city core:

Hudson

Fayetteville St

new RCC

Marriott Hotel

Site 1 entertainment, retail, office, residential

Site 4 "Lafayette" boutique hotel & condos

RBC HQ & condos

Paladium Plaza

lots of restaurants, etc.

I think once this all opens up, including the great view from Prgress Energy Center to the Capitol, we will realize what a truly great effort this has been, and what a great city Raleigh is and can be.

I agree...and once we hit that point and all the dust settles , Raleigh should be ready for the next round of construction. With a whole new batch of approved towers. I see the next round building either east or west of Fayetteville St. This should really give Raleigh a 3-D appearance. And hopefully...Construction will be in full swing with light rail

Edited by Eastwestrob