Downtown Raleigh's Future

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

I still love the design. And what's that...maybe like 20 story massing on that future phase? Would be very imposing sitting on that bluff above S Saunders. 

As an after thought, It might be a good idea to tie in that southern section of Fayetteville St to this project, across MLK additional access to the site...plus  a light there would help the pedestrian situation too since cars tend to race through the area en-masse

I think there's supposed to be a pedestrian bridge over MLK to connect the project to the southern section of Fayetteville St. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 8:57 AM, Green_man said:

I know we'll find out a lot more details about the soccer stadium in a few days, but I can't stop wondering where this stadium will go.   I think my preferred site would be the former Greyhound site (burned down Metropolitan).

Close Lane St. since it doesn't go anywhere.  Who knows if the apartment building ever gets built there with the stigma around the site.   Close to Capital Blvd/Dawson/McDowell for North-South car traffic and Edenton/Morgan for East-West.  Of course needs major transit plans like any stadium in DT - at least on the rail line of one-time proposed LRT.  

Within 3 blocks from 3 proposed 20-story towers.  Expands edge of Glenwood South.  Current dead zone and so inactive stadium doesn't create a new dead zone.  

greyhound site.JPG

Green_man, you win the prize for almost nailing the actual proposed stadium site...

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed feelings. 

Plus side: Keeping the proper scale on this street. Nice modern design. Hopefully a continued catalyst for reuse/fixing up of the other underutilized buildings along there. 

Minus side: I realize the original facade of this building was probably torn off for the corrugated metal to be installed, but you can see what it used to look like to the left of Long Meadow Milk. I do have a shot of the full building but am not sure if I am allowed to use it without permission. Anyway, I think I prefer rebuilding historic storefronts if there is any building left at all, and put the modernist stuff on vacant lots. 

bottom line, this is better than the whole corner getting ripped out for another new something or other. 

Keeping the proper scale on this street

Could you elaborate?  This is one block off of the CBD.  I don't see how this achieves any goals involving urban density, commercial tax base or live/work/play.  This would be short sighted and terrible for downtown Cary or downtown Apex, much less downtown Raleigh.

3 hours ago, Captain Awesome said:

Could you elaborate?  This is one block off of the CBD.  I don't see how this achieves any goals involving urban density, commercial tax base or live/work/play.  This would be short sighted and terrible for downtown Cary or downtown Apex, much less downtown Raleigh.

Primarily, this area is the center of the remains of Raleigh's historic commercial area. Until the classical revival buildings started in 1907 with the Alexander Building, and peaked in the 1920's, these areas topped out at 4/5 stories, with most being 2-3 stories. Maintaining the historic fabric means maintain the scale.  Also the east side of Fayetteville St rapidly becomes single family housing and a buffer of dense, low rise (not contradictory at all) stuff..both businesses and townhouses, seems to work as a good transition. We're getting the townhouses, now just to maintain the old buildings along Wilmington and all around City Market, and the Bus Station and things will be solid on that side of downtown IMO. 

Short sighted to me are cul-de-sacs and their cousins the disconnected office parks and shopping malls. A beltline with perhaps two ways for a pedestrian to get across it....that is short sighted. Just because only one part of this City has the correct bones, does not mean it is the part that must be crammed full of the most stuff possible. More doesn't mean better necessarily, and to me often cannot in any situation especially when dwindling historic areas are threatened. More development on the outer banks also doesn't mean better. To me, Wilmington St is the beach front and the buildings are the fragile turtle's nests. 

I'll take it. I'd like to see some of these buildings gen renovated and they keep the facade and then add about three levels of residential above one or two floors of commercial but I can see how that might not be practical. It's good to keep some of these older buildings as we've lost so many, including the ones down the block at the perennially-stalled Edison site. . 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting some of the scaffolding down around the Museum of Natural History  and DEQ. Now they are getting some seating set up outside the Daily Planet. It gets packed at lunchtime and it will be nice having some outdoor seating. 

sWJaD5n.jpg?1

A couple of articles on the work to get the scaffolding down and address the falling glass issue.:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article130548229.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article140316698.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember if I've seen the discussion here, but the almost constant street closures for festivals in downtown seems to becoming an increasing problem when combined with the built growth.  Wonder if there has been any thought to building a purpose-built festival area?

Might be an unpopular idea, but here's one solution...  raze Heritage Park and build plaza,  play areas,  stage, etc.  Approx 13.5 acres.  (Fayetteville St/City Plaza is ~5 acres.)  Walking distance to Union Station with new West St tunnel.  Parking decks nearby, could build 1 more at 205 W Lenoir.

Heritage buildings are getting old and new affordable housing needs to be built anyway... 15 story building at 0 Salisbury St,  12 story building at 330 E Hargett, 12 story building 327 E Martin.  Taller/denser affordable housing solutions in the city center need to be constructed - not more 2-3 story Carlton Place units.

• 1 month later...

The new Raleigh logo came out yesterday and I think overall pretty good design.  Simple and versatile.  I had an idea for the city to fully embrace it, they could create a park/plaza area between the tracks on Hargett St and have raised benches, flower/vegetable beds, and water features in the shape of the logo.  With all the offices and residences coming nearby, could be a popular lunch/dinner spot with parking for food trucks on the plaza.

raleighpark.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

The new Raleigh logo came out yesterday and I think overall pretty good design.  Simple and versatile.  I had an idea for the city to fully embrace it, they could create a park/plaza area between the tracks on Hargett St and have raised benches, flower/vegetable beds, and water features in the shape of the logo.  With all the offices and residences coming nearby, could be a popular lunch/dinner spot with parking for food trucks on the plaza.

raleighpark.JPG

I love that idea!  I think that would make a wonderful place for a new downtown park, especially given the growth of the Warehouse District, and the completion of Union Station and One Glenwood.  It could really help transition between the Warehouse District and Boylan Heights/Glenwood South, which seem quite separate now, because of the train tracks.

Edited by Merthecat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Isaac said:

Does anyone have the link to the google map with all the Downtown Raleigh development?  I had it saved as a favorite but got a new laptop.  

This? Sorry it's a few months behind (I know it sucks...I only made it so I could remember what was going on)

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

3 parcels sold to one owner in the Warehouse District at S. Harrington, W. Davie intersection totaling 0.82 acres.  Current zoning allows for 5 stories, but new owners say they will likely ask for more height while also keeping in mind the "historic nature of the neighborhood".

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/12/01/soldnew-owners-have-big-plans-for-prime-warehouse.html

w-house-district.JPG

• Like 1

I saw that and was relieved to read they at least don't want to knock it all down. This the old NC Cotton Oil company. One of the original warehouses is already gone...it sat on the parking lot furthest west. This parking lot is also the site of what is called 'lot 13' that has several articles in Goodnight Raleigh from the 1970's or so. As an aside, the name of the bar 1888 references the first absolute known date the buildings existed on a Sanborn map...but only because that is the first time Sanborn covered this block. The buildings are certainly older than that if they existed at the time the map was drawn. 1871 Drie does not show them, so the actual construction date is between 1871 and 1888, likely the oldest ones left (though the Dillon frontage on West Street might incorporate some portions of older buildings. E.g., it is obvious that inside Five Star, an older, smaller building was expanded later on) Well worth keeping if you want to continue to call this area the "Ware House District". 

Edited by Jones_

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In regards to the future of downtown Raleigh, I was reading an article from Wral’s Tech-Wire that gives the appearance of more talk in the tech world of Google or a similar company buying Red Hat... 

And because downtown Raleigh doesn’t have other large companies like Red Hat I think that it would put Raleigh back about 10 years...imho 

• 2 weeks later...