Downtown Raleigh's Future

On 7/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, KJHburg said:

sounds like 30 story building with parking deck included.  Looks like they might knock down part of that garage unless it was built to support a high rise on top.  

The renderings appear to show it taking up the southern third of the existing deck and the alley between the deck and the  Alexander Building. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Five Horizons (now Merge Capital) PD, on the triangle south of MLK and above the Saunders and McDowell fork, will go before Planning Commission later this month. Was deferred from this week, but here are the documents:

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BGKRQJ6F0133

Design architect is LOHA from LA. Renderings and narrative on their site:

http://loharchitects.com/work/south-saunders-master-plan

Also approved major changes to cottage court zoning that should make neighborhood infill easier, after years of changes that steadily made it tougher.

Edited by paytonc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Is that where the red roof inn is? I thought a soccer stadium was part of that plan?

No this is next to the Harley dealer right at the fork there.

Matter of fact, can anyone with the know how outline the downtown south proposal and this on a Google map screenshot or something? I think that would help people visualize the huge potential changes to south saunders... I would do it I just am not good with that stuff.

2 hours ago, Trent Y said:

No this is next to the Harley dealer right at the fork there.

Matter of fact, can anyone with the know how outline the downtown south proposal and this on a Google map screenshot or something? I think that would help people visualize the huge potential changes to south saunders... I would do it I just am not good with that stuff.

Rough outline. I've had this map for years...I know it sucks, but it helps me know what happened when. Also I'm a few months behind updating it but I just added Merge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

Rough outline. I've had this map for years...I know it sucks, but it helps me know what happened when. Also I'm a few months behind updating it but I just added Merge. 

It keeps saying to get the Google maps app which I already have? That's weird. Well I'm sure it's exactly what I was talking about!

• 4 weeks later...

From a subscriber TBJ article

""The Raleigh City Council voted Wednesday night to approve a request to rezone a collection of downtown properties on Fayetteville Street, including some of the city’s most historic buildings — such as the Briggs Hardware Building and the Odd Fellows Building — allowing for development up to 40 stories.  In return, building owners agreed to maintain historical protections throughout the development, many of which did not exist prior to Wednesday’s vote.  The rezoning request stipulates that the existing building facades facing Fayetteville Street will be “preserved and maintained, including during and after future construction and development of the properties.” But details about any potential development plans have not been revealed."" 

I would hope more than facades would be saved especially with the Briggs Hardware building.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/07/zoning-shift-could-mean-new-development-on.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, KJHburg said:

From a subscriber TBJ article

""The Raleigh City Council voted Wednesday night to approve a request to rezone a collection of downtown properties on Fayetteville Street, including some of the city’s most historic buildings — such as the Briggs Hardware Building and the Odd Fellows Building — allowing for development up to 40 stories.  In return, building owners agreed to maintain historical protections throughout the development, many of which did not exist prior to Wednesday’s vote.  The rezoning request stipulates that the existing building facades facing Fayetteville Street will be “preserved and maintained, including during and after future construction and development of the properties.” But details about any potential development plans have not been revealed."" 

I would hope more than facades would be saved especially with the Briggs Hardware building.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/07/zoning-shift-could-mean-new-development-on.html

This is a massively s-h-i-tt-y situation for Raleigh and historic architecture. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what's going up at the corner of S Saunders St @ W South St? A long time ago, it used to be "Ice Market Grill" but that got demolished a few years ago and so this corner lot has been sitting vacant for years...had fencing around it the whole time, and grass started growing again. But in the past week or so, construction activity has begun. Anyone know? The space where the activity is is actually pretty large (compared to Ice Market Grill). 

20191212-080140.jpg
20191212-080139.jpg
20191212-080138.jpg
20191212-080137.jpg
20191212-080133.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Anyone know what's going up at the corner of S Saunders St @ W South St? A long time ago, it used to be "Ice Market Grill" but that got demolished a few years ago and so this corner lot has been sitting vacant for years...had fencing around it the whole time, and grass started growing again. But in the past week or so, construction activity has begun. Anyone know? The space where the activity is is actually pretty large (compared to Ice Market Grill). 

I found it. It's 611 West South by Lambert Development. I think I read 42 condo units but with almost 80 parking spaces.

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Kane and Malik have closed on some of the land needed for their massive Downtown South development.  Not sure if this will include a soccer stadium or not now that Charlotte got a MLS team. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/12/23/developers-buy-land-for-massive-downtown-south.html

They are asking for a portion of "unallocated" funds so a stadium depends on whether or not they get the funding.  I believe that Raleigh-Wake is waiting on the results of a study before deciding on the requested funds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1