Downtown Raleigh's Future

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bizjournals reports that the 40 story Warehouse District tower complex was approved last night.  Will CAM move into the buildings?  I'd like to see more height in Raleigh, but the notion that this project won't change the character of the District is interesting....

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/02/05/raleigh-oks-potential-40-story-development-in.html?ana=e_me_set1&j=90465811&t=Morning&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTmpoaFl6azFNREJqWW1FMyIsInQiOiJcLzZiZFBmN1ZieE5PaUVmT3ZmMW9CQUVNV2JpcGNoOSt6NnhnTlRDSGJOOWdnUVwvSjVtVkRxWkJ1eENBdTZlWUZVUWR0RFY0b0w4UU9aNjNWWDdoZkJqcXljaVF6NHVjdkJZQ3Z1TTg3WjVtUFg3TFRHczQ0c3hxblc4QzByXC84SEFiYzV6U1Z2VGYybzZROGg0VnVmUGc9PSJ9

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SlackJack said:

The Raleigh Union Station Bus project has to begin construction this year, as a condition to receiving the $ 20 million federal grant money.  They lose the grant if they don't start in 2020.

Kane will likely start his this Smokey Hollow this year as well.

my friend is in construction and says 121 Fayetteville St is going to be built (Balfour Beaty - or however you spell it).  and the Warehouse district tower is basically a done deal too...but we all know how quickly things can change.  

Great news regardless of what comes to fruition for Raleigh skyline...it is in a desperate need of a signature tower (or 4)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NOLA2CLT said:

my friend is in construction and says 121 Fayetteville St is going to be built (Balfour Beaty - or however you spell it).  and the Warehouse district tower is basically a done deal too...but we all know how quickly things can change.  

Great news regardless of what comes to fruition for Raleigh skyline...it is in a desperate need of a signature tower (or 4)

This article in today's TBJ indicates why this all may be happening: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/02/06/editors-notebookraleigh-city-council-mantra-go-big.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline .

• Like 4

and when does that 20 story City Hall municipal building begin?   121 Fayetteville is a great building too codeveloped by Kane  and Preferred Office out of Atlanta

I can't wait to see the Raleigh skyline in 5 years from deck of the Dillon and One Glenwood (if they are not blocked by higher towers LOL) 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This probably needs its own thread but major development announced today on the NCAE site by Dominion Realty Partners.

from a subscriber article from the TBJ

"" Dominion Realty Partners and the North Carolina Association of Educators announced they’ve reached a deal for DRP to the buy 4.9 acres of NCAE-owned land for the development of Salisbury Square, a multi-tower project at the corner of W. South and S. Salisbury streets. The property is located right across from the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts.  Dominion expects the project to cost more than $300 million over two phases. Plans for the project call for four new structures, including two 20-story towers, a hotel and a parking structure. Plans will be submitted to city officials for approval in the coming months.  Plans for Salisbury Square call for a 20-story mixed-use tower, a 20-story multifamily tower, a 6-story, 150-room hotel and 4-story building for workforce housing with attached parking deck.  The mixed-use tower will feature 242 upscale apartments on top of 175,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space. The residential tower will feature 270 luxury apartments complete with a rooftop pool.Finally, plans also include 63 workforce housing units wrapping a shared parking structure. These units will feature below-market rates and will be reserved for lower-income tenants, DRP says""

this is fantastic project for downtown!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/03/11/300m-development-for-downtown-raleigh-has-hotel.html

While this is a great project, talk about another swing an miss for a truly iconic tower downtown...two 20 story towers is par for the course for Raleigh with the past few building announcements...it also appears they will get their Grand Bohemian as well.  I dont want to come across as complaining, but here's to wanting more...

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, NOLA2CLT said:

While this is a great project, talk about another swing an miss for a truly iconic tower downtown...two 20 story towers is par for the course for Raleigh with the past few building announcements...it also appears they will get their Grand Bohemian as well.  I dont want to come across as complaining, but here's to wanting more...

While I agree, I am also hopeful that the true iconic site is close by at the Fayetteville St sites for the RFP. That is the prime site, and this just surrounds it with critical mass density. It's great that the nature of downtown is changing to reflect three various levels of development: 10 stories, 20 stories, higher. There is a clear focus on the middle, with sizable attention at the shortest, and now renewed attention at the high end. The more the City builds out 20 stories, the more valuable certain core sites (RFP sites as an example) are to taller, more iconic developments. 

2 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

What makes you think they will go for the Grand Bohemian?

43 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

What makes you think they will go for the Grand Bohemian?

Article mentioned a 6 story hotel.  There was a proposal by the Kessler group a week or two back for a Grand Bohemian hotel...i was merely putting two and two together...it is my own speculation...

2 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

Article mentioned a 6 story hotel.  There was a proposal by the Kessler group a week or two back for a Grand Bohemian hotel...i was merely putting two and two together...it is my own speculation...

This Dominion project is completely different , and has nothing to do with the city's recent RFI on the city-owned parcels. Dominion is buying their land from the NCAE, which is across the street from the city property.  I agree that something taller by Dominion would be nice, they have a great track record in DT Raleigh. (PNC Tower, FNB Tower, Charter Square etc.).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

Gotcha, I can see why you think that now. I disagree with your conclusion, though. Like SlackJack said, Salisbury Square is a different property than the RCC hotel/HQ combo. 

15 hours ago, SlackJack said:

This Dominion project is completely different , and has nothing to do with the city's recent RFI on the city-owned parcels. Dominion is buying their land from the NCAE, which is across the street from the city property.  I agree that something taller by Dominion would be nice, they have a great track record in DT Raleigh. (PNC Tower, FNB Tower, Charter Square etc.).

14 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Gotcha, I can see why you think that now. I disagree with your conclusion, though. Like SlackJack said, Salisbury Square is a different property than the RCC hotel/HQ combo. 

Ah I see...thanks for the clarification Slack/RW...is this the property near Lincoln Theater then??  Its been quite a while since ive been in downtown Raleigh despite growing up there...

Oh and that means I retract my previous comment about it being a missed opportunity...but heres to ALWAYS hoping for more!  :dontknow:

• Like 1

There is construction fencing up on Martin St. @ Dawson St. , blocking the sidewalk entrance of Capitol Smoke et. al. It goes around the corner down Dawson a bit too. Anyone know what's going to happen there?

There is more construction fencing and looks like demolition at McDowell @ Davie. I think that was an abandoned auto shop? What's going on at this one?

Finally, construction fencing on McDowell near Lane or Jones St (can't remember which) and I'm pretty sure it said Barnhill Construction or something. What's this one?

• 2 months later...

Quote from the current Hurricanes owner on the teams future location preferences:

Tom Dundon, a Dallas billionaire, became majority owner of the franchise in January 2018 and promptly re-energized the franchise. Dundon paid a reported $420 million for the team. In December 2018, Dundon said, “I’ve never talked to any other markets about what’s out there. But we have a challenge, which is we’re not downtown. And there’s not a list of successful non-downtown arenas.”

I grew up in Durham and am a huge hockey fan, but I have never been to see a game in PNC. I like to get some drinks before or after the game which is easy to do around most NHL areas, but not at PNC. Move downtown and I'll come from Charlotte to see 5-10 games per year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/05/29/canes-could-leave-raleigh-heres-how.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...