Downtown Raleigh's Future

23 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Springhill Suites? Couldn't have tried harder for a higher end brand for that prime location?

Just like Raleigh to accept whatever comes along first.

actually these brands are some of the better performing hotels right now.  Longer stays with mini kitchens in the Home 2 Suites and the Springhill Suites.  We have both of these in uptown Charlotte.  Great for someone  who is there for a week.  Tru by Hilton is one of my favorite Hilton brands due to their bathrooms. 

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, carolina1792 said:

12 story  Home 2 & True Hotel on Wilmington Street next to the McDonald's is moving forward with permitting after being delayed. 

9 Story Nash Square Hotel (branded Springhill Suites) moving forward as well. Permit portal shows permit activity as recent as 5/5/2021. 

I wonder if this could be the beginning of the economic thaw in Hotel Construction.  They were really walloped by COVID-19 so many hotel chains across the State and Country shelved many building projects.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I wonder if this could be the beginning of the economic thaw in Hotel Construction.  They were really walloped by COVID-19 so many hotel chains across the State and Country shelved many building projects.

I think so and tend to agree.

A lot of people put off vacations last year for the obvious reason you mentioned.  People (especially those that went full hermit until they were vaccinated) are now wanting to stretch their legs.  The hotel industry would be smart to start resuming build out of planned properties so they're ready for next year.  This year we'll probably see a mini boom in travel again, but I'd wager next year is going to be insane when honeymoons put on hold happen, destination weddings, a backlog of vacation travel (personally I'm in this category), some light business travel, etc etc kick into high gear again as people feel like they have to make up for lost time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, KJHburg said:

actually these brands are some of the better performing hotels right now.  Longer stays with mini kitchens in the Home 2 Suites and the Springhill Suites.  We have both of these in uptown Charlotte.  Great for someone  who is there for a week.  Tru by Hilton is one of my favorite Hilton brands due to their bathrooms. 

I'm not arguing that DT Raleigh could use more of this type of hotel, what i'm arguing is the location. Raleigh is missing a huge opportunity to turn the area around Nash Sq into more of an urban destination, by going high end and taller. This area would be the perfect place to push for better hotels, taller buildings, high end retail, etc. The N&O site also seems to be another missed opportunity. When Mitchell Silver left he took all of the vision in Raleigh city government with him.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

More good news, the Nexus, the previously four 20-story tower project is being rezoned to 40 stories. 

Hopefully they will stagger the heights of the 4 towers, or consolidate into 2 towers with 1 being around 40 stories and the other around 20 stories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

I attended the first neighborhood meeting. They stated that the announcement of Apple and other businesses has spurred their decision to evaluate the size of this project but that the overall composition of the project will stay the same but the height of the buildings will vary. Likely the residential towers will increase in height but the hotel and office tower may remain the same or be converted to more housing. 

Sounds promising. Keeping fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

A score of 20 story rezoning are expected to hit city rezoning process soon. Most will be in Raleigh's 'Midtown' area. The most recent one is  2114 Atlantic Ave just by the Iron Works development, it will be a mix use tower of up-to-20 stories. 

I would love to see something rezoned for above 40 stories.

Does anyone know if there is a moratorium in the city on towers above 40 stories?

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

I would love to see something rezoned for above 40 stories.

Does anyone know if there is a moratorium in the city on towers above 40 stories?

I would just elaborate that the limit is for 40 stories, but says nothing about height. Depending on the type of building and the design, you could easily see something close to 700' with 40 stories. Look at the new Duke Energy building Charlotte. I believe the language offers no restrictions based on height, but based on stories. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rancenc said:

Let's hope they can bring their vision to fruition. That site is the perfect location for a tall tower to showcase in the nothern gateway to downtown.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Summary of possible 20-40 story towers for downtown Raleigh.  If a third of these got built the city would have different skyline for sure.

Several New High-Rise Buildings Promise to Change the Downtown Raleigh Skyline - INDY Week

Great writeup. I wasn't even aware of some of these.

As you said, if only a third of these towers get built, Raleigh's skyline will be impressive, even for a city of 500,000.

My guess is that we'll see 50-60% of that list built, simply because the demand is there and the space is sorely needed.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Couple of drive by shots driving through downtown today.  First time my mom has been here in years and years.   301 Hillsborough looks great on the skyline just needs more tall friends nearby. 

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

Hopefully we will see 2-3 40 story friends in the picture soon. :-) 

• Like 3

Looks like the owners of this site across from Nash Square are seeking to request a rezoning for up to 40 stories.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/12/potential-40-story-rezoning-across-by-nash-square.html

This would push the number of requests in downtown for 40 story rezonings to 8 or 9? It's hard to keep up at this point.

Also, isn't this the site where the Springhill Suites hotel was previously proposed?

• Like 2