Downtown Raleigh's Future

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A partial block of prime downtown property is seeking rezoning from 7 stories to 20 stories. Frankly, I rather this property sits until the right project comes about and adds height to DTR but this is what it is. 

108 & 112 Stronachs Alley and 521 & 529 S Wilmington St

https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR22/20211103SWilmingtonSt.pdf

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

A partial block of prime downtown property is seeking rezoning from 7 stories to 20 stories. Frankly, I rather this property sits until the right project comes about and adds height to DTR but this is what it is. 

108 & 112 Stronachs Alley and 521 & 529 S Wilmington St

https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR22/20211103SWilmingtonSt.pdf

Now that Raleigh is red hot, greedy developers aren't going to wait. They're going to snatch up any available land they can get their grubby hands on that may turn a profit. If they could get away with it, some of them would build a trailer park on this prime downtown land if they thought it would make them a reasonable profit.

This is why the city government needs to evaluate proposals very carefully, and not rubberstamp any proposals based on a developer's song and dance. Raleigh has gotten burned several times in the past by this.

1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

Another hotel will break ground this November apparently, a Marriott TownePlace Suites with 138 rooms. Located behind Founder's Row. Is there a hotel in Raleigh not branded by Marriott? lol

Well they have 30+ brands under the Marriott ownership, so I'd say there are many we don't have.

I'm on the Nashville board, watching the fire-hot project list expand seemingly weekly, with 4 Seasons, Ritz, etc  with 3 proposals of 500', a 600' and a 700.   Will be interesting to see downtown Raleigh finally go nuts and get 5 or 6 biggies going at the same time.

The last big spree was in 1991 when the 3 towers were underway... will 2022 finally see a year that can beat that?

image.thumb.png.71e2aab1562cf2fce0ec583a6ab85670.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

UNC System will likely move to downtown Raleigh and get a new tower or building complex. Likely in the NC government complex area.  Construction budget pegged at around $100 million.

https://www.wral.com/budget-plans-moving-unc-system-offices-potential-remake-for-downtown-raleigh-government-campus/19988744/

I'm all for this plan, but would this mean that NCSU will become the favored institution over UNC-CH?  :rofl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Is this the NCAE property?  I thought one was office and one was residential are now both residential?

The project is named Salisbury Square and it called for 1 residential tower and 1 residential mix-use tower with ground floor office/retail. The original plan mentioned that it will have 180k square feet of office space. I'm not sure if that has been scaled down or not but I'm assuming that COVID has really changed the office market. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Found this building Highwoods is marketing in downtown Raleigh.  Does this project have another name I don't recall this tower proposal.

Edge | Highwoods

Image 2

This was the rendering for the proposed tower on Fayetteville St. I believe this project was scrapped when Highwoods entered the picture.