Downtown Raleigh's Future

7 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Three? I was only aware of 1 or 2 proposed for Durham.

27-story tower, 25-story tower, and the mega-block site by Motorco will have a 20-story tower. Not sure if there's another tower planned soon. Still 3 towers will make a huge different in DTD. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Holiday Inn Downtown property will be a Kimpton Hotel. Not sure if just a refurbishment or a new build out.  

I would say a renovation because they are part of the IHG group of hotel brands.   Welcome to the Kimpton family Raleigh.  Asheville,  Charlotte and Winston already have hotels and they are  nice. 

https://raleighmag.com/2022/01/kimpton-raleigh/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would say a renovation because they are part of the IHG group of hotel brands.   Welcome to the Kimpton family Raleigh.  Asheville,  Charlotte and Winston already have hotels and they are  nice. 

https://raleighmag.com would say a renovation/2022/01/kimpton-raleigh/

I agree. You don't destroy buildings that are considered landmarks, if you're smart.

The best business move is to turn it into a high end hotel with upgraded finishes and amenities, and market it as a boutique Raleigh landmark hotel that is one of a kind.

Edited by RALNATIVE

the hotel is a landmark on the skyline for decades and decades.  upgrade the rooms increase the rates and service and people will flock there.  Holiday Inn brand does not fit that hotel it did when it opened but not now.  Holiday Inns belong out on I-440 or I-40.

speaking of downtown Raleigh what is currently UNDER construction  downtown besides 400H, the Hampton Inn HIlton Garden dual brand,  what other highrises are under construction now? 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the hotel is a landmark on the skyline for decades and decades.  upgrade the rooms increase the rates and service and people will flock there.  Holiday Inn brand does not fit that hotel it did when it opened but not now.  Holiday Inns belong out on I-440 or I-40.

speaking of downtown Raleigh what is currently UNDER construction  downtown besides 400H, the Hampton Inn HIlton Garden dual brand,  what other highrises are under construction now? 

This hotel has a great infrastructure to work with. Including the top floor restaurant. An upgraded boutique hotel in that location will make a killing.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

This hotel has a great infrastructure to work with. Including the top floor restaurant. An upgraded boutique hotel in that location will make a killing.

300 Hillsborough Street (property between this hotel and Dawson Street) will be developed--recently sold for $4 million about 3 months ago to the same group that bought the hotel . Anything over 15 stories will likely block all the decent views from the hotel.  

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

That's it. The Platform, the Acorn, and Seaboard are the only other major projects to break ground. North Hills/Midtown is sucking up all the development energy atm.  You won't see many other projects start until Q3. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Okay this is one high rise I am opposed to in downtown Raleigh.  The new owners of the Holiday Inn do want to tear it down.  I dont like that at all.

from the Triangle Biz Journal this morning

""The Holiday Inn hotel in downtown Raleigh, famous for its circular building, is set to be demolished by the property’s new owner, according to site plans provided to the Triangle Business Journal.  The landmark building’s departure would make way for a 20-story tower featuring a hotel, apartments, a parking deck and restaurant and retail space, the plans show. Tidal Real Estate Partners of New York bought the 1.3-acre property at 320 Hillsborough St. in November for $19.8 million, according to Wake County property records.  The site plans, provided to TBJ by Tidal Real Estate Partners, depict a new 697,655-square-foot building spanning both 300 Hillsborough St., currently a surface parking lot, and 320 Hillsborough St."" 

Not sure why the hotel could not be saved and new building built to the vacant lot to the right if facing the hotel.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/02/11/downtown-raleigh-holiday-inn-hotel-to-be-replaced.html

Yes, it would be a shame to lose a landmark building that could be repurposed with a little vision. I suspect that the reason is parking - it seems all new developments these days are primarily car storage facilities with incidental uses for humans attached. Evidently it's too much to expect people to walk even a couple of blocks in an urban environment to get from where they park to their destination, so every new development has to have its own massive parking deck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

BizJournal reporting 401 Hillsborough Street property is being rezoned to 40 stories. One of several lots around Hillsborough Street that are seeking 40 story rezoning.  It won't be development for several years however. 

My guess is that the owner are locals who don't quite have the funding to develop anything, but rather will hold the property to capitalize on appreciation when a big NY firm comes along with deep pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Holiday Inn needs to be demolished.  If any of you have ever seen the service areas of this building you would be shocked.   It is completely disgusting.  The mild makeover back in 2014 covered the guest area nastiness with some new paint and carpet but that’s it.     Concrete problems, water leaks, lack of any maintenance.   The elevators are original and only work about 50% of the time. Should have been torn down a decade ago.  Nothing iconic about this place.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

The Holiday Inn needs to be demolished.  If any of you have ever seen the service areas of this building you would be shocked.   It is completely disgusting.  The mild makeover back in 2014 covered the guest area nastiness with some new paint and carpet but that’s it.     Concrete problems, water leaks, lack of any maintenance.   The elevators are original and only work about 50% of the time. Should have been torn down a decade ago.  Nothing iconic about this place.  

I agree...I keep seeing people comment that it's a Raleigh icon and a landmark and I'm like ??? It's an ugly hotel chain and there are multiple across the country. We can do better. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

I agree...I keep seeing people comment that it's a Raleigh icon and a landmark and I'm like ??? It's an ugly hotel chain and there are multiple across the country. We can do better. 

I think it is the novelty of interesting architecture that isn't just a glass box. Trust me, I know that the bones of the hotel are pretty crusty. That still doesn't change my opinion that it is a piece of Raleigh history and iconography. I grew up with this hotel, so it's a piece of Raleigh that I knew disappearing. 

What I really want to elaborate upon is that the replacement building, as it is currently designed, is boring. Architecture in Raleigh is boring. There is no interesting architecture currently being built, and the city has allowed for the demolition of some of its amazing architectural history (modernist homes, etc.). I think the most interesting architecture currently being planned is the Civic campus, but even that is fairly staid and simple. And I get it. It's about economics and the payoff of development. You don't design for creativity. You design to make the most of your investment, which explains why the Peace/Seaboard Station plans look like North Hills, or the Smoky Hollow stuff looks like South End Charlotte, or why we have clunky 20 story buildings like 301 Hillsborough. It's just enough lipstick on an otherwise mundane building to make it interesting, and it doesn't really pay off. So, with the loss of the modernism of both the Holiday Inn and the modernist homes of the area, we aren't replacing it with anything interesting. 

Now, will this add more people to the streets, and enhance the pedestrian experience? I'll reserve judgment as plans and renderings are released. That's why I am not complaining about RUSBUS. It's at least going to add some vibrancy to the area...just like the Dillon did, and just like 1 & 2 Glenwood. 

• Like 4