Downtown Raleigh's Future

they could take the circular hotel down to the studs and redo it as a luxury hotel and still build a really tall building next door.  It is iconic.  All glass boxes are not.   Lets take down the Archdale building on the state government campus that is one ugly building with few windows.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

they could take the circular hotel down to the studs and redo it as a luxury hotel and still build a really tall building next door.  It is iconic.  All glass boxes are not.   Lets take down the Archdale building on the state government campus that is one ugly building with few windows.  

If that original stadium that was proposed would have been built, the Archdale building would be gone by now. Anyway, I believe that it will be demolished soon enough. There seems to be  a giant bullseye on every fugly building in DTR.

Also, i've heard many in favor, and many against the Holiday Inn being torn down. It's about 50/50. I'm mainly of the belief that we should find a way to preserve it, but my biggest concern is that the building does not maximize the use of the very valuable land that it sits on. Hopefully the developer will build something that will impress us, but i'll hold my enthusiasm until I see final renderings.

9 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

If that original stadium that was proposed would have been built, the Archdale building would be gone by now. Anyway, I believe that it will be demolished soon enough. There seems to be  a giant bullseye on every fugly building in DTR.

Also, i've heard many in favor, and many against the Holiday Inn being torn down. It's about 50/50. I'm mainly of the belief that we should find a way to preserve it, but my biggest concern is that the building does not maximize the use of the very valuable land that it sits on. Hopefully the developer will build something that will impress us, but i'll hold my enthusiasm until I see final renderings.

It would be a nice spot to bring in a 40 story building that pays homage to the circular building. I'm thinking along the lines of the Westin in ATL.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

who is the developer on this tower?  

Richmond-based Capital Square 1031. They recently announced that they have raised the capital of $49 million for this project and will be moving forward.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/capital-square-secures-49m-for-upcoming-raleigh-tower/?amp

Site permits have been submitted as of 2/15. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

More on that 20 story apartment tower on W South Street.  starting next month it says. 

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/capital-square-completes-49m-equity-raise-to-develop-121m-tower-in-raleigh/

More lackluster designs,...but i'll take it. It will add good density to a burgeoning area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, carolina1792 said:

One of the two towers of Salisbury Square project will start construction in May.  Located next to the Performance Art Center.  

https://www.wral.com/realty-group-plans-to-build-two-20-story-towers-in-downtown-raleigh/20184696/

Also a delayed hotel project nearby is said to start up construction this year as well. I think the one by the McDonalds. 

There's also about 5 20-story towers and scores of 5-over-1/2s in the design phase just south of Downtown but I unsure the timeline on those projects. I suspect those will start making construction headway next year. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 10.16.59 PM.png

According to the TBJ, these towers will be the HQ for a local bank. 

Why build two 20 story towers instead of building a single 30-40 story tower?  Poor use of land in my opinion.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/03/14/salisbury-square-dogwood-state-bank.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

The 500-room Convention Center RFI is back into play. The city wants to pick a developer ASAP. The office tower part of the project has switched to residential as the city feels this corridor is too office oriented and has suffered as a result. It's two 1 acre lots with each tower taking up less than 1 acre each so expect the hotel tower to be one of the tallest in Raleigh if built. 

• Like 4

On 3/16/2022 at 9:39 PM, carolina1792 said:

The City of Raleigh has granted themselves the authority to start the process of building the East Civic Tower. Construction should start sometime later this year. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 9.37.51 PM.png

Is this the site across from Nash Sq where the old police HQ used to be?

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Is this the site across from Nash Sq where the old police HQ used to be?

Yes. The entire block will be redevelopment in phases. There's going to be a West Civic Tower where the current Raleigh Municipal Building is located as well (circa late 2020s) and the parking deck facing Morgan Street is expected to be a private-public mixed use project. 

12 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

Yes. The entire block will be redevelopment in phases. There's going to be a West Civic Tower where the current Raleigh Municipal Building is located as well (circa late 2020s) and the parking deck facing Morgan Street is expected to be a private-public mixed use project. 

This block is across the street from my condo so I'm all for it being fully re-developed.

Do you work for the city or for the developer? You seem to have all of the details that others don't. LOL

• Like 1