Downtown Raleigh's Future

1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

Highwoods is moving their headquarters to downtown Raleigh as part of a new high rise development yet to be announced. I wonder Pinnacle is referencing this project when they mention 'negotiations'? 

Highwoods must be apparently moving to a new highrise they will build in the Warehouse district. They recently purchased the parcel across from the Dillon and have had it rezoned to 40 stories.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Highwoods is moving their headquarters to downtown Raleigh as part of a new high rise development yet to be announced. I wonder Pinnacle is referencing this project when they mention 'negotiations'? 

Correction. It has been reported that Highwoods will move their HQ to the Wells Fargo tower downtown.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did not know that Kimpton proposal is where the round Holiday Inn is downtown.  I still wish that could have been incorporated into the new project with a taller tower on the vacant parking lot site.  Here is more from the Biz Journal this morning.

""Tidal Real Estate Partners of New York acquired the property in late 2021 and later unveiled plans to redevelopment the site. The 20-story development also calls for high-end residences plus restaurant and retail space.   The circular Holiday Inn building is set to be demolished. Site plans that Tidal Real Estate Partners filed with the city earlier this year show a 697,655-square-foot building spanning both 300 Hillsborough St., currently a surface parking lot, and 320 Hillsborough St – where the Holiday Inn stands.  The plans show the hotel portion of the project facing Hillsborough Street and the residential side of the building looking out over East Edenton Street with a total of 350 units – 280 one-bedroom units and 70 two-bedroom units. The planned parking deck would have 447 parking spots.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/05/24/kimpton-hotel-planned-downtown-raleigh-development.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I did not know that Kimpton proposal is where the round Holiday Inn is downtown.  I still wish that could have been incorporated into the new project with a taller tower on the vacant parking lot site.  Here is more from the Biz Journal this morning.

""Tidal Real Estate Partners of New York acquired the property in late 2021 and later unveiled plans to redevelopment the site. The 20-story development also calls for high-end residences plus restaurant and retail space.   The circular Holiday Inn building is set to be demolished. Site plans that Tidal Real Estate Partners filed with the city earlier this year show a 697,655-square-foot building spanning both 300 Hillsborough St., currently a surface parking lot, and 320 Hillsborough St – where the Holiday Inn stands.  The plans show the hotel portion of the project facing Hillsborough Street and the residential side of the building looking out over East Edenton Street with a total of 350 units – 280 one-bedroom units and 70 two-bedroom units. The planned parking deck would have 447 parking spots.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/05/24/kimpton-hotel-planned-downtown-raleigh-development.html

Yeah this should make up for phase 2 of 301H next door basically being dead in the water due to rising construction costs. Hopefully they can sell the property and another developer can have a go. Tidal Real Estate seems to go all in on Raleigh. They have at least 3 20 story projects planned in Downtown Raleigh so far: this project (Kimpton), the Warehouse district 20 story project, and the 500 block of Wilmington Street (next to Charter Square tower).  Should be interesting to see how fast the other two project go up. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

Yeah this should make up for phase 2 of 301H next door basically being dead in the water due to rising construction costs. Hopefully they can sell the property and another developer can have a go. Tidal Real Estate seems to go all in on Raleigh. They have at least 3 20 story projects planned in Downtown Raleigh so far: this project (Kimpton), the Warehouse district 20 story project, and the 500 block of Wilmington Street (next to Charter Square tower).  Should be interesting to see how fast the other two project go up. 

Warehouse District site has been re-zoned for 40 stories.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

That is one dreadful monstrosity. It was in need of repair 7 years ago, and I'm fairly confident there have been no renovations since then. 

The one here is just as dreadful...such an eyesore. Yes, I would have liked the replacement to be a little more "innovative" design wise, but a standard blue box is 1000X improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sad all the hate for a 20 story tower. It's better from an urban perspective to build around it. Just replacing it with only another 20 story building does not add to your city density.   Also this tower is one of the few that has an open top floor to view the skyline, which is quite awesome from this side of town.

Edited by rolly

On 5/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, carolina1792 said:

Official downtown Raleigh Kimpton hotel announcement. It's happening! 

"Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, part of IHG Hotels & Resorts' Luxury & Lifestyle Collection, announced today it will open a boutique hotel in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina. The hotel will open in late 2025 as part of a new-build 20-story mixed-use development also featuring high-end residences in North Carolina's capital city.

Owned by Tidal Real Estate Partners, the new Kimpton in Raleigh will span the first six floors of the building and feature 179 guest rooms, including approximately 20 suites."

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/announcement/41008042/kimpton-raleigh.html

kimpton.jpeg

Isn’t this going to be directly across from 301 S Hillsborough?  If so, it will add some density to the area.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Mid South NC said:

Lol no surprise, I'm not the only one that feels this way 

EBEF2609-C3AF-41E4-A5ED-08C1E129A6AE.jpeg

Lol, not even close. They apparently haven't seen the Landmark in Greenville,  the Florence city complex building, or even the Aloft in Greenville. Here are the Landmark and Florence buildings; both city tallests.  :(

File:Landmark Tower, Greenville, SC.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Florence City-County Complex - Florence, South Carolina

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, carolina1792 said:

Hold on to your britches, "full 40" story tower announcement may be coming soon-ish. So it's not all 20 story towers. There's also some 12 story apartments grinding through the permitting which while not as exciting is still important to add density to the city.  Plus there's the 37 story RUSBUS and the 32 story Creamery Resi tower and the 27 story Downtown South office tower. 

That's not what I said.

I said, why tear down a 20 story building (that's ugly, but functional) just to replace it with another 20 story.

When there's plenty of parking lots to build on.

• Like 2