Downtown Raleigh's Future

22 hours ago, rancenc said:

Overview of projects that will be reshaping Raleigh's skyline!

https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2022/06/24/biggest-construction-projects-raleigh-skyline

I suspect that this is only the beginning. typically with rapidly growing cities, taller and more impressive developments follow the first big wave of developments in the 20-30 story range. Those developments drive up the surrounding price of land as well as availability, which in turn forces developers to look at going higher for subsequent developments.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

I forget who last brought it up, but the State Legislature is proposing to tear down the Bath Building (the borg building). No word on something replacing it...my guess is surface parking for at least a decade...

UNC System has 5ish years to build a new facility in downtown Raleigh. So maybe, maybe not. 

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

Like, the University system? 

Yes, it's forced to move from Chapel Hill to Downtown Raleigh. Just released today in the state budget:

"Department of Administration, at 116 W Jones St., would be torn down and replaced by a new “Education Campus.” The campus would provide offices for the UNC System and Community Colleges System, as well as the departments of Public Instruction and Commerce. The proposal would require the Department of Administration … to relocate all employees from the existing building by July 1, 2023. Demolition of the building would be required no later than Oct. 31, 2023."

Also  "“State Government Executive Headquarters facility” that would host the governor’s staff, personnel and operations for various state agencies, and include a chamber for the Council of State"

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 6:20 PM, carolina1792 said:

Yes, it's forced to move from Chapel Hill to Downtown Raleigh. Just released today in the state budget:

"Department of Administration, at 116 W Jones St., would be torn down and replaced by a new “Education Campus.” The campus would provide offices for the UNC System and Community Colleges System, as well as the departments of Public Instruction and Commerce. The proposal would require the Department of Administration … to relocate all employees from the existing building by July 1, 2023. Demolition of the building would be required no later than Oct. 31, 2023."

Also  "“State Government Executive Headquarters facility” that would host the governor’s staff, personnel and operations for various state agencies, and include a chamber for the Council of State"

Well that's certainly not the building I expected to get torn down. Its a little rough inside but looks nice outside. Plus it has a helicopter pad on it. I know the Bath building is being talked about being torn down too (don't have an N&O account to read the article above). Anyway I always assumed they'd just build another building behind Admin and put in another pedestrian bridge to the Legislature. 

""After receiving approval from the City of Raleigh to rezone its downtown property, the owner of 1.43 acres off South Wilmington Street has submitted plans for a 20-story mixed-use building. Tidal Real Estate Partners of New York City – the same group planning to redevelop the Hillsborough Street property that holds the round Holiday Inn – is the owner of the property at 521 and 529 S. Wilmington St.  Located behind Lincoln Theatre, across from the Baptist State headquarters, the “Wilmington Street Mixed Use” project calls for two adjoining buildings and a parking deck.  The Administrative Site Review application submitted to the city last week shows there will be 387 residential units in the tower. There would be 77 two-bedroom residential units with the rest being one-bedroom. A drawing of the building shows balconies with glass railings.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/07/18/tidal-real-estate-partner-raleigh-tower-wilmington.html

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I read in the TBJ today that an estimated 45,000 more apartments are needed in Raleigh. No sure if that is across the metro or just in the city limits. In any event that's a lot of demand. That most certainly will drive more high rise residential development, which could explain the push for re-zonings in areas like the Warehouse District and Glenwood South.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I read in the TBJ today that an estimated 45,000 more apartments are needed in Raleigh. No sure if that is across the metro or just in the city limits. In any event that's a lot of demand. That most certainly will drive more high rise residential development, which could explain the push for re-zonings in areas like the Warehouse District and Glenwood South.

that is for the Raleigh metro but still very impressive.  Here is the full report and Raleigh is mentioned all throughout the 193 page report but specifically on page 158

https://www.naahq.org/sites/default/files/2022-07/NMHC-NAA-US-Apartment-Demand-through-2035 Final 7.27.22.pdf

by the way more apartments needed than Nashville and this is just metro Raleigh side of the Triangle.    Right now there is 57000 single family rental properties in the Raleigh metro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Revealed on Twitter. Woah Smoky Hollow III will be amazing I think. Looks to be around 33 to 38 stories tall on the residential tower and about 20 on the office tower. 

That being said it COULD JUST BE AN EARLY CONCEPT RENDERING and the real project may be scaled down due to budget. 

woah.jpeg

Wow 

• Like 1