GAR Building For Sale

Allan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It personally looks like a frat house to me.

If it was a bar it would have to be a small one. There doesn't look like there's a lot of space in there for a lot of seating or a stage or anything like that.

idk

If all three floors were to be incorporated into the bar there would easily be enough room.

Yeah, this building is definitely suited for a modern entertainment use. It wouldn't work much as a residential building, and if it were an office building, it would have to be a boutique office building, and ask for very high rents because of the small size and mainting it. I definitely see it as a bar and restaurant, with maybe an a handful of pricey small offices.

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday morning I saw a bunch of people (including a camera crew from Channel 4) at G.A.R. They removed plywood from the Grand River/Bagley corner entrance and folks were walking in, etc.

The plywood's back on and no sign that any had happened there this morning.

Anyone know what happened?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm sure the city has already made up its minds on that one.

I ran into the guy who is proposing the nightclub when I explored the building a year and a half ago. It's nice to see that he's made progress on the idea. As we were going through the building, he was explaining to me all these really cool ideas, but he was frustrated with the city's lack of cooperation.

I am intrigued by the proposal for 15 lofts. I have to wonder how they managed to cram 5 lofts per floor into that building. When I was in there it seemed way too small to put more than about 3 per floor, but I didn't spend much time in there on account of all the pigeon crap dust I was trying not to inhale. I always thought that it would be cool to renovate the entire building into one residential unit. "Yeah, I live in the building that looks like a castle."

Archived