Reservoir Triangle Stop and Shop

jencoleslaw

This development could easily get the "worst development" of the century award. It's pedestrian connections suck, it has sidewalks around the perimeters and that's it. What a missed opportunity.

Does anyone live near there or want to drive by there and take some photos for Providence Tomorrow bad?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really? where did you get that info? That's very interesting. I shopped there a lot, and found it to be a pretty good store. But yes, the developer got the tax break but that's why we can charge developers a performance bond, especially if they get tax breaks. Will they have to pay it back? I will have to ask Thom that.

I have immediate family in upper and middle management at S&S.

What's up with Stop & Shop anyway, anyone know? There was talk in the other thread that they may be being sold, or their parent is trying to unload them.

Royal Ahold NV which owns S&S and other NE and some European food store chains has been recovering from a huge accounting scandal a couple years ago. 2 of the hedge funds that own stake in Ahold have been pressuring Ahold to sell off it's U.S. holdings and concentrate on the more lucrative European operations. The U.S. operations heve been 'neglected' due to them concentrating on the accounting deal.

The latest reports show that a merger/acuisition with a Belgium based company (Delhaize) which owns Food Lion and others, is being explored.

That's why the new NK S&S won't open until next year now. Ahold is scaling back all capital expenses until thew they know the fate of it's U.S. interets.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybri...News&rpc=44

Sorry, the Shaw's Plaza off North Main Street gets the worst development in my book.

that is bad but it is also extremely well utilized.

Does the bus run down into that or do people have to walk down from No. Main? I don't shop there often enough to notice. But whenever I do go it's really busy and all of the other strip mall stores are too.

Of course, I don't really know what the area looked like pre-Shaw's, either.

that is bad but it is also extremely well utilized.

Does the bus run down into that or do people have to walk down from No. Main?

There is a RIPTA bus line that serves the Shaw's plaza (#49 Camp Street) where riders do not have to walk down the hill. Unfortunately, the run intervals are every 50 minutes on weekdays with no weekend or holiday runs.

Of course, I don't really know what the area looked like pre-Shaw's, either.

It was a drive in called EM Lowes. Before that there was a Cyclodrome that was also home to Providences very own NFL team, The Providence Steam Roller. They won the 1928 NFL Championships there against the Green Bay Packers.

I think it should be a zoning law that all big boxes built in the city that still need ample surface parking need to be built sideways to the street so pedestrians can have easy access right from the sidewalk. Or they should atleast be like the Target being built in Dartmouth (sprawlville, of all places) and include a nice network of internal sidewalks and raised crosswalks along with a bus stop and taxi stand.

local.live view

Not a pleasant destination by foot... The tracks act as quite a barrier...

There was a pedestrian bridge that accessed Gorham at the foot of Bucklin, but came out when they electrified the tracks I think. There has been an Enhancement Grant app in for that for quite a while, but I am not sure if it was funded.

I think it should be a zoning law that all big boxes built in the city that still need ample surface parking need to be built sideways to the street so pedestrians can have easy access right from the sidewalk. Or they should atleast be like the Target being built in Dartmouth (sprawlville, of all places) and include a nice network of internal sidewalks and raised crosswalks along with a bus stop and taxi stand.

agreed, although the zoning code does require a lot of this in commercial zones. The problem here is that this was an M zone, not a C or a R zone and all best are off in M zones. :( but hopefully that will change.

• 5 weeks later...

I refinanced one of the top level executives at Stop & Shop today and couldn't help but ask about the deal with this place. Apparently, S&S never wanted to put a store in this location in the 1st place. It seems they were offered some incentives and strong-armed by Mayor Cianci to open a location here even though their marketing dept. knew it wouldn't be a profitable store. He said this situation was not unique and politicians from 1 CT city were also offering tax incentives to open up there now despite S&S saying it was against this. Hmmmmmmmmm :whistling:

I have to say, since I was involved in the negotiations for the S&S I do find it a little humorous that S&S was forced to locate their. The PRA ran an open competition for the development of the site. Two or three proposals were received. The selected proposal was from S&S and their developer. The provisions of the proposal was that the PRA supply a site with utilities and access (the access had to have a traffic light at the entrance) and that we support their request for a tax stabilization deal. Two major factors contirbuted to the closing of the site. First, the site never met S&S location model - it doesn't have true 360 degree access - because of the pond and rt 10, you can't access the site from the west. Second, shortly after S&S was built, other more conveninet stores were built in the area.

From a marketing view, S&S did a lousy job stocking the store and running specials to attract people. You could see from the beginning that this store was not important to them.

In my years working for Buddy, I saw lots of strong arming, but i find it unlikely that he could have forced them to locate a store at this location. It was a bad corporate decision on S&S part.

Archived