Jacksonville: 36 & 28 story towers to go up soon

bobliocatt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

originally posted by Allen

Sounds like a nice project. What kind of impact will this have on the skyline?
It will have a major impact on the Southbank's skyline. The taller tower will be nearly just as tall as the 432'(?) Riverplace Tower, next door to the site.

originally posted by Urban Legend

It's kind of across the street from the Skyway's Riverplace Station. That's good news to the JTA! This is one of my favorite projects for Jacksonville. It'll be good for the Southbank, and for the entire skyline. Does this property have a website?

It will also be good to see San Marco Place's two condo towers go up directly across the street, right next to the skyway's riverplace station.

There is a website: www.thepeninsulacondos.com, but it doesn't have any renderings on it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an UPDATE on this project

--------------------------------------

15 April 2004

The Auchter Company to build The Strand and The Peninsula

The Auchter Co. has been chosen by American Land Ventures to serve as the general contractor for The Strand and The Peninsula, the two residential projects planned for the Southbank.

Work is scheduled to start this summer on The Strand, a 28-story tower with 295 apartments. Groundbreaking for The Peninsula, a 36-story condominium tower, is scheduled for 2005.

American Land Ventures President Granvil Tracy said an exact start date hasn't been determined for The Strand.

"We're thinking sometime around July," he said.

Tracy said The Auchter Company's experience with Downtown riverfront projects - which includes the Modis and BellSouth buildings as well as The Jacksonville Landing - made it an obvious choice.

"It was a logical choice to partner with the company that has already had such a great influence on the city's skyline," said Tracy

Auchter President Brad Glass said his company, which is currently working on the Downtown Main Library and the VillaRiva condos in Riverside, won't need to add managers to handle the new projects.

"Auchter's fortunate to have many experienced project managers," said Glass. "This project is well within our capabilities."

Glass also said the choice of a local contractor for the project is an indication of the strength of the city's construction industry.

Welcome wolfdawg54. You too should enjoy looking at some of the photos of skyscrapers proposed, but never built, in Jax, that I plan to scan sometime today. I also have an updated rendering of the 20 story San Marco Place condo tower across the street from the Strand & Peninsula that I'll post later tonight.

I found several of these pics in a Henry Klutho book at the Library. I just tried scanning them in at work, but our scanner sucks and I don't won't to post the scans I just saw. I'm going to hook up my scanner at home tonight and then post them sometime probably tomorrow morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived