Downtown Restaurants

archiham04

I decided to start this in response to a post, saying that they always ate at mellow mushroom whenever they came to town. Mellow Mushroom is fine, but downtown has tons of great restaurants.

I'll start with my favorite, Zambra. It is Caribbean inspired tapas and the restaurant was started by Hector of Salsa fame (another amazing restaurant). The atmosphere in this place is what really makes it. It is underneath Malaprops (off of Haywood St). It is almost in a basement, but because the street falls away so drastically there the back is actually above the street. The decor is kind of a cellar theme, but very lively. They often have live music, and they have a great bar.

Any thoughts on other favorites?

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salsas is probably the best restaurant in town. Unless of course you're afraid of veggies or can't eat onions. They put onions on everything. Mellow Mushroom is a good pie joint but they're definitely not unique to Asheville (just go to Atlanta, there's like 12 of them). It's a corporate chain, unlike the unique local restaurants Asheville has to offer.

Corner Kitchen is excellent - food for people that really enjoy well prepared good chef style food.

Rio Burrito for Cali style burritos that don't turn to into a soggy mess like others in town.

Tupelo Honey Cafe is awesome, good southern style food

...and don't forget Mill's River Restaurant. hell yah :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A year ago I would have said College Street Grille (Asheville Barbecue Company) but it seems they changed (and shrunk) their menu from great barbecue to boring pub fare. I ate at a pretty great Irish pub (can't recall the name) when I came out for the Thomas Wolfe 8K. Great fish and chips.

You can get great fish and chips at Hannah Flannigan's and Jack of the Wood.

The property vacated by Anntony's is actually going to be a new "upscale American" place. Modesto (brick oven pizza) is going in down the street, and I believe it is owned by Hector Diaz (Salsa's). He also is putting in a new Mexican place next door called "Chorizo" which isn't open yet. Modesto opened a few weeks ago, but we haven't had a chance to eat there yet.

As far as favorite restaurants...

Sunny Point in West Asheville for breakfast.

La Cocina Latina (not the best location / ambiance, but good food!)

Salsa's

Early Girl

And I second the Chocolate Fetish! My office is in the same building and it is very tempting... yummy white chocolate hot chocolate.

Archived