Charleston's Rising Crime Rate

Donny James

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen you are the one who starts most of the "sh*t", ( not to mention personal insults), as you so inarticulately phrased it.

Mcashlv, if you are going start sh{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}t, at least finish it. Making an insensitive comment that was undoubtfully racist and then not going into further detail shows how much of a fool you are making of yourself.

All of these are factors in the crime along with others that haven't been mentioned. Most of the violence seems to be centered around the drug trade and concentrated in certain areas of town. Unless you are invloved in the drug lifestyle or frequent particular areas than you are as safe in Charleston as you would be in any other city of the same size. Those at greatest risk are minorities that are forced to find affordable housing in the most dangerous neighborhoods. When I was living in Charleston and moved from the relatively violence free and middle class area of Northbridge to Charleston Heights I immediately became aware of the fact that I was in a much higher crime zone and at a much greater risk for personal injury and property damage. A fact borne out when I had to defend myself more than once from attempted robberies and unwanted advances. My grandfather's house that I was living in had even been broken into several times before I moved in.

Younger people these days just aren't like their elders. They want money now and are willing to do almost anything to get it. Many don't care about their life or anyone else's. They aren't willing to settle for dead end jobs that don't pay anything like previous generations did. Many feel that education is a waste of time and they live only for today. There is nothing that society can do to prevent violent crime. Why? >>>Isaiah 51:20 "Your sons have become unconscious and gather on the street corners as wild beast. They are full of the wrath of the Almighty and the rebuke of the Mighty One."

SimCity, I think you did a fantastic job of describing some of the real problems behind this crime wave. I also love the Scripture you quoted. Excellent! :thumbsup:

MCashlv, I think you need to grow up. Your remarks are very immature...it appears as if you want to goad other people on this forum into a heated argument. Whether or not that is your intention, if you're going to make a broad, general question and not clarify things, it would be better not to say anything at all.

The main reason for high crime is that its perpetrators (sp) don't envision a different life for themselves. This has nothing to do with race, other than the fact that for whatever reasons, a higher percentage of certain races find themselves in an economic subcultural rut that is difficult to get out of, so difficult that they never develop obtainable goals for themselves, and even if they do, they often get ridiculed and pulled back down by their peers who are in the same economic subcultural rut.

OK, try this: Google search the following terms: "crime genetics". Shouldn't be too difficult. Don't blame me for the results, please.

SimCity, I think you did a fantastic job of describing some of the real problems behind this crime wave. I also love the Scripture you quoted. Excellent! :thumbsup:

MCashlv, I think you need to grow up. Your remarks are very immature...it appears as if you want to goad other people on this forum into a heated argument. Whether or not that is your intention, if you're going to make a broad, general question and not clarify things, it would be better not to say anything at all.

It was not my intention to offer excuses for criminal behavior. Anyone who doesn't toe the 'party line' in these forums invites all sorts of semi-hysterical ravings and name-calling. I'm really shocked at the general low level of education and inability to think critically that's exhibited in Urban Planet, in almost every forum. It's as if most people are educated by Oprah Winfrey and People Magazine.

It still answers nothing. A genetic predisposition is not a sealed fate and does not let anyone off the hook any more than a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism excuses someone of a death as a result of DUI.

If you feel that the reason is genetics, and you genuinely feel that way, then by all means, share it. Im personally interested to hear your reasoning behind it because depending on what you say, I might agree to some extent. But my reason for saying that, is completely different from what I think people think you were inferring. Or maybe not. I just want you to speak your mind.

Evidently I am not being clear. Stop this inane bickering. Stay on topic.

mcash- If you wish to discuss the merits of a genetic predispostion to crime, then by all means do so. But if you are going to do it, do it in an intelligent manner, state your case, cite some facts, etc. You know how it works. Don't attack others for a lack of intellect while not stating your own case in an intelligent manner. If you want people to respect your ideas, then it is essential that you take advantage of your own intellect and explain what it is you are thinking. Don't expect people assume the same things you do. Insulting them will not accomplish anything.

I can gaurantee that people will repect your ideas if you can back them up and state them well, even if they disagree with them.

All I asked for was an explanation. I don't like to assume anything on anyone else's part. Almost all of us are adults here, so I don't see what the problem is with asking someone to explain a concept that was merely mentioned in passing. That's called responsible dialogue.

But to get back on topic, I saw a clip on the Internet from the funeral for the family that was slain. Gosh, it was so sad. In instances like this, which really isn't what one could call "routine crime," how do you prevent this? That particular instance doesn't fall under some type of "street sweep" program or anything of the sort. The man's heart is simply evil.

I feel that the only way a situation like this could have been reasonably prevented would have been to simply keep the man incarcerated at my prison. Where I work at, many of the inmates will tell you that they paln to sell drugs when they get out or commit this or that crime. Crime is all that many of them talk about. I've seen several former inmates get out of prison who were either killed or killed someone in carrying out plans they made in prison before being released. Imo this particular problem goes back to a flawed "revolving door" justice system. You have career criminals being released onto the streets everyday with no intention of reforming themselves, people who are mentally and emotionally unstable in many cases. With his prior record and mental history this Simmons should have still been incarcerated and the innocent children should have still been alive. Btw. this guy's cousin is an inmate and works for me as a dining room cleaner in the prison cafeteria and he doesn't seem too stable either.

All I asked for was an explanation. I don't like to assume anything on anyone else's part. Almost all of us are adults here, so I don't see what the problem is with asking someone to explain a concept that was merely mentioned in passing. That's called responsible dialogue.

But to get back on topic, I saw a clip on the Internet from the funeral for the family that was slain. Gosh, it was so sad. In instances like this, which really isn't what one could call "routine crime," how do you prevent this? That particular instance doesn't fall under some type of "street sweep" program or anything of the sort. The man's heart is simply evil.

ROFL, I definitely think this was a good place to start for this group.

Citizens patrol hits streets on city's East Side

As patrol members were being interviewed by a Channel 4 television reporter at about 5 p.m., a young man stood across the street, yelling obscenities.

"He said, 'When y'all come out here tonight, we're going to fire y'all up,' " said minister Dennis Muhammad of the Nation of Islam Muhammad Mosque in North Charleston.

It's sad really, something needs to be done obviously but people just don't seem to care enough to make it a huge issue. Hopefully the new police chief will make an impression on people who would break the law. There is a deeper issue here that can't be addressed by law enforcement but I don't have the answers to that.

A woman held her three grandchildren close to her side as the new team of residents and police launched on Monday.

"We need them," said the woman, who would not give her name for fear of retaliation. "I don't let (my grandchildren) come out and play. I take them straight home from school and keep them in the house."

^ It seems that alot of people are complacent with the crap that goes on in the East Side, and the citizens that want to make a difference are getting intimidated by these people that want to continue the status quo. I remember reading in the City Paper of how some residents in this section of DT would actually warn drug dealers when an officer was approaching their street. It's times like this when I think of how great gentrification can be in eliminating criminal activity.

According to this article, the new chief is deploying more officers to specific crime hot spots. There is no mention of the substations, but we all know the city needs to build them in the hot spots as well. Chief Mullen also mentions putting horse patrols West Ashley, a novel concept...I never saw horse patrols in West Ashley neighborhoods when I was growing up. Although these steps are great, the city and state need to have stricter penalties for offenders.

I still propose bringing back prison labor camps. Get these criminals to build roads, bridges, and highways...we could lower gas taxes and get cheap labor! ;)

Yeah. Thats "Charleston".

Which is really misleading, because it was the 19th murder of what is technically considered "Charleston". But realistically, it was the 16th murder Downtown.

The 19th murder of incorporated "Charleston". The 46th murder of Charleston County, and the 69th murder of the Charleston Metro Area.

Right now, as it stands the numbers are like this:

Charleston County = 46

- (Charleston = 19)

- (N. Charleston = 24)

- (Unincorporated = 3)

Berkeley County = 20

Dorchester County = 3

The guy that got killed was a friend and schoolmate of mine.

Well, here's some good news. A month-long investigation targeting the sale of drugs in DT's East Side concluded Wednesday with the arrests of six suspected dealers. CPD arrested a total of 20 dealers, but it appears that most of these arrests were small-time dealers. My question is: are these suspects, once convicted, going to serve long, hard time (fulfilling the mayor's goal of harsher penalties)? Do these dealers have prior convictions? This drug sweep on the East Side can be effective, but only if perps are given looooong imprisonment, especially if they have any priors.

Drug raids net 20 on East Side

Archived