Will the Triad ever get a pro sports team?

Rwarky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no doubt the area can support it but the question is can the region get together and pull it off. Sort of like the situation Norfolk and Hampton Roads are going through. To much infighting betweeen the principle cities. Unfortunatley the only other option for sports team for NC is baseball. The chances for another NBA or NHL team are just not economically viable.

No worries, only a matter of time, perhaps more time than normal patience would allow, but anyway, technically, the Triad could support a hockey or even football team now, probably soccer as well as there seems to be a higher interest here than other SE areas IMO. Baseball would be a ways off, unless it is determined that this would be the area to have it to spread the state's sports "drain" so as to not overly tax the CLT and RDH areas which already have pro sports teams. In 50 years I believe the triad will have doubled it's population (if not more), so that should put us at high enough numbers to support about anything. Hope I'm alive then...

I think the Triad has the corporate support between BB&T, Lincoln Financial and others in the Triad. But the problem the Triad has always had is working as one cohesive unit. Until the Triad thinks of itself as one big city, it will never happen because no Triad city is big enough to do it alone. They're arent that many pro sports available. Raleigh has NHL, Charlotte has NBA and NFL and will likely get major league baseball before the Triad ever will. The only others left is Arena Football and major league soccer which arent that popular. Those sports have horrible tv contracts so its not like the region would get alot of exposure like with the NFL or the NBA. But remember in the past Greensboro had two major league teams. The first was the ABA Carolina Cougars in the 1960s/70s. It was NC's first pro team long before the Charlotte Hornets rolled in. However since no city in NC was big enough for a franchise, the home games were spit between Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte. The home base was in Greensboro and that was also where the attendance was the highest. The ABA at that time was on equal grounds with the NBA. When the NBA and ABA merge a number of ABA team moved on to the NBA like Indianapolis. Unfortunatly The Carolina Cougars had folded and moved to St Louis before the merger.

The second time Greensboro had a pro team was the NHL Carolina Hurricanes. It was only for two years while the RBC Center was being built in Raleigh. Howwever attendance in Greensboro was very poor, partially in part because techinicall it wasnt Greensboro's team and no one wanted to get attached to them. The game prices were high as well. There were a few sell out nights when Wayne Gretzky played. some of those NHL playstation games during that time even had Greensboro Coliseum written on the ice which I tought was cool.

GSO at least has arena football, or indoor, I get confused by the distinctions. I believe there is the market for these sports in the Triad, even baseball in a few years, but you are right, it would come down to a cooperative effort to build the facilities, and GSO/WS/HP would probably be locked in stalemate on that.

The Triad tried to get the Minnesota Twins but that did not get very far and Cityboi is right about the Canes, they had terrible turn outs unless they were playing the NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins or Philadelphia Flyers. I dont believe a professional sports team will ever land in the Triad. If anything, pre-season games and training camps could be done.

...tried to get the Minnesota Twins. All it needed was a one-half cent restaurant tax - one-half cent! But, it was defeated narrowly in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County; something like 51 percent against and 49 percent in favor. However, it was, surprisingly resoundingly defeated in Greensboro and Guilford. Again, I don't recal the exact percentages (and don't care to investigate it), but it was something like 63 percent against and 37 percent in favor. It must have been the old competition thing?

The stadium was to have been built in southwest Guilford County and southeast Forsyth County with almost an exactly 50/50 split (I think it was actually a 51/49 split). Anyway, it would have spurred incredible high end growth. What a pity. At the time, even the Governor issued a semi-official statement to the effect of how appropriate this would be since Charlotte had NFL and NBA, and Raleigh had NHL.

But, I really think Minnesota never had any intention of moving anyway. I think it was a ruse to get the local folks in Minneapolis and Saint Paul to build them a new stadium.

But, I really think Minnesota never had any intention of moving anyway. I think it was a ruse to get the local folks in Minneapolis and Saint Paul to build them a new stadium.

You are probabally right. Also with the investments being made for downtown minor league ballparks in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, that says to me that Major League Baseball wouldnt be a reality for the Triad in a very long time. But As I said Charlotte would beat us to the draw. The Triad needs to work together as a cohesive unit and get an identity before its ready for 21st century major league sports.

...tried to get the Minnesota Twins. All it needed was a one-half cent restaurant tax - one-half cent! But, it was defeated narrowly in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County; something like 51 percent against and 49 percent in favor. However, it was, surprisingly resoundingly defeated in Greensboro and Guilford. Again, I don't recal the exact percentages (and don't care to investigate it), but it was something like 63 percent against and 37 percent in favor. It must have been the old competition thing?

I think beyond all of that, it still would of had other hurdles to come through. If memory serves, one of the biggest problems was that residents were opposed of increased property taxes for the expenditures needed for the Twins to be in the Triad (more so Greensboro than Winston i think).

I think beyond all of that, it still would of had other hurdles to come through. If memory serves, one of the biggest problems was that residents were opposed of increased property taxes for the expenditures needed for the Twins to be in the Triad (more so Greensboro than Winston i think).

particularely the prepared food tax that would have been put in place. That would mean if you went to McDonalds, the tax would be higher

I wouldn't bet on a pro sports team in the Triad anytime soon. With NFL and NBA in Charlotte and the NHL in Raleigh I don't expect any leagues to look at us very close. If you look at the numbers we'd have to show a potential pro sports team/league; a small television market, low per capita income, and a low population density. Three things solidly going against us, especially for a NHL, NBA, of MLB team.

Maybe one day, but I seriously doubt it will be in my lifetime.... :(

Until High Point and WS realize they're basically subs of Greensboro and pull in to support the Gate City i just don't see it happening. Perfect example is when they tried to compromize and go for MLB and put the stadium in a cow pasture in K'ville. What a joke that was. Should have been downtown G'boro just like the minor league park is today.

Until High Point and WS realize they're basically subs of Greensboro and pull in to support the Gate City i just don't see it happening. Perfect example is when they tried to compromize and go for MLB and put the stadium in a cow pasture in K'ville. What a joke that was. Should have been downtown G'boro just like the minor league park is today.

I'm guessing you're joking, if not then: WS is rightfully it's own entity, only slightly smaller in pop than GSO, and with a more urban DT if that cements the agument. That and it has been historically larger/more important than GSO (though all NC cities have went back and forth many times). HP is smaller than GSO, yes, but is also it's own distinct place, with it's own economy and CBD, defintely not a suburb. GSO and WS, the major cities here, are actually far enough apart that not only are they not contiguous in any way, they also do not share suburban areas, and is why the Triad is no longer a single MSA.

I talk to people all the time out of state who have never heard of Greensboro, but I seldom ever encounter people who have not heard of Winston-Salem and High Point. Although Greenboro technically has a few thousand more people than Winston-Salem, I just don't see a pro sports stadium in downtown Greensboro. I personally think Winston-Salem has a better chance of attracting pro sports simply because of the status and name of the city, and to me it just feels more urban and metropolotian than Greensboro. I live in downtown Greensboro, so I can speak honestly, feels more like a large suburb. The downtown has the presence and feel of that of a small town. I just don't think it has enough to attract a pro sports team or stadium.

^ It has not been my experience that WS is more known than Greensboro, but of course it depends on your industry and circle. High Point maybe, but usually the person will not know exactly why they have heard of HP (if they are not otherwise aware of the IFM), similar to when people are surprised to learn Thomasville is a place first, furniture company second. And I'd hate to think WS is known now-a-days because of the cigarette brands Winstons and Salems. WS isn't in the national picture for much at the moment, I expect that to change, but so do I expect GSO's national exposure to change. It see it as the sleeping giant of the Triad, it is already a disproportionately high international immigration area, and that usually has the effect of feeding on itself as individuals bring their families, their families tell other families, etc.

To the topic, though, I don't think it would be a stretch for a sports team here, especially in another 10 years. It is just a gut feeling, but baseball would even be successful, it really would, almost like it has been dead so long in people's minds that it would have a novelty to it that would none-the-less be enduring. I think people in this area are looking for something like this to celebrate, and unite them in a way, sports has that effect, and causes it's own growth and additional support. I'm not even a baseball fan and I love going to the Hoppers games now, at first it was the cool DT park (and having brews with friends), but then I started watching the games. The Hoppers' attendance records are 2nd in the nation for Class A ball, I think this is a sign.

I don't think baseball would have worked in the Triad, or will work anywhere in NC for the next 10-15 years. MLB teams host 81 home games and stadiums usually seat 40k. That's a 2-3M seats to fill nearly every other day from April - Sept, the warm weather and travel months in this state. Even the Panthers only have 8 games @ 72k ea. There's no comparison. You need a much larger metro area to support baseball than currently exists in NC.

With NBA and NFL in Clt, and NHL in RDU, the Triad kinda gets left out and I'm not sure what would work. I think eventually, perhaps the NBA would make some sense, but quite a few years out.

Route is absolutely right. every city in the Triad needs to bow down to the great, grand, Greensboro and not try to develop themselves. these stupid city leaders in HP, WS, Btown and Kville NEED to get it together. We should support everything in Greensboro, not our own cites. Burn down LJVM, Groves, and Bowman Gray. WFU needs to close Immediately. Bye-bye furniture market. since youre in HP, we dont need you. Hay Winston, please kick out ALL the city's Fortune 500's and move them to Greatsboro...and while youre at it, tear down 7 of your skyscrapers. as for the new mall in Burlington, STOP CONSTRUCTION NOW, and build a campground on that prime real estate. Who said you could progress?

First, I doubt any Triad city will get a pro sports team. The downtown areas of the Triad are complete jokes when compared to some of the other cities who have pro sports teams... (MIA, LA, ATL, NO, NY, Houston, Dallas, CHI, etc, etc). It's like asking of we think that W-S will be one of the 10 largest cities of in the US... heck NO. The geographics of the region just don't support us getting a team. Look at Richmond, VA. It's also got a metro of over 1 million, city proper has a population of 200K, but it's sprawled out because of the suburbs, etc. Geographics there are the same problem.

Secondly, the popularity of Greensboro just comes from who you know and life experiences... People in certain professions know about specific places because they're known for that specific thing (ie. High-Point = furniture, etc). I know people many people from out of state who have heard of Elon, but not W-S.... or Charlotte only... or maybe Raleigh. I also know people who have lived in much larger cities who now live in W-S and drive from W-S to Greensboro for entertainment and "things to do" because they feel like W-S doesn't have the big city feel that they're used to. Not arguing one way or the other.... I'm just saying (as I have many times), either Triad city has their argument for who's more "urban", metropolitan, big city, "better" (lol), than the other and it can be argued until the sun comes down - nobody will ever be correct.

I talk to people all the time out of state who have never heard of Greensboro, but I seldom ever encounter people who have not heard of Winston-Salem and High Point. Although Greenboro technically has a few thousand more people than Winston-Salem, I just don't see a pro sports stadium in downtown Greensboro. I personally think Winston-Salem has a better chance of attracting pro sports simply because of the status and name of the city, and to me it just feels more urban and metropolotian than Greensboro. I live in downtown Greensboro, so I can speak honestly, feels more like a large suburb. The downtown has the presence and feel of that of a small town. I just don't think it has enough to attract a pro sports team or stadium.

I have always thought of W-S with WFU and the arts as being more of the center of the triad then greensboro. I prob think that b/c i am originially from there. Plus i think that the biggest facter is the rarity of the name. "Winston-Salem" is one of a kind. "Greensboro, NC" could be "Anytown, USA". I honestly don't mean that as offense to anyone from greensboro, but it's just the way i see things.

Hmm.... I disagree, but you have a right to your opinion.

I have always thought of W-S with WFU and the arts as being more of the center of the triad then greensboro. I prob think that b/c i am originially from there. Plus i think that the biggest facter is the rarity of the name. "Winston-Salem" is one of a kind. "Greensboro, NC" could be "Anytown, USA". I honestly don't mean that as offense to anyone from greensboro, but it's just the way i see things.

Hmm.... I disagree, but you have a right to your opinion.

agreed. I think all the Triad cities have a special uniqueness so its not fair to say that any of the cities are anytown USA becasue Greensboro is not like anytown USA.

I also agree this shouldnt turn into a Greensboro vs Winston-Salem thread becasue in actuality no city is better than the other. But I guess it just comes down to personal preference. both cities offer different things that make them special in their own right. Thats what makes the Triad such a great place to live. I dont want Greensboro and Winston-Salem to be alike. Every city has something about it thats not duplicated anywhere else.

Archived