Will the Triad ever get a pro sports team?

Rwarky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't talking about the cities themselves, but the names of the cities. Greensboro is just a common name (8 states have greensboro's i believe) where i believe that there is only one "winston-salem". Of course greensboro has a lot to offer that is unique (the name however, is not).

ive always thought of Greensboro as the more well known city because of its larger population, venues and colleges. i dont know. I guess it really depends on who you ask. ask a corp. exec...they might say WS. ask a 20 year old...they might say GSO.

5 years ago i would have said that GSO would land a pro sports team. but now it could go to either WS or GSO IMO. both are similar in size and have equal entertainment offerings. However, GSO still has an edge with national sports events over WS.

I wasn't talking about the cities themselves, but the names of the cities. Greensboro is just a common name (8 states have greensboro's i believe) where i believe that there is only one "winston-salem". Of course greensboro has a lot to offer that is unique (the name however, is not).

Even though there are a few more Greensboros in the country, I wouldn't say it's a common name. I'd say both Winston-Salem and Greensboro have roughly the same amount of notereity nationwide (since they're about the same size), but I think Greensboro has an advantage, having played host to large and well-known events like American Idol auditions and the Southern Baptist Convention conference. As a matter of fact, the first time I ever went to Greensboro was because of a convention.

not to mention the ACC Tournament, NCAA games and the PGA event thats held in Greensboro. The Gate City gets national attention during those events.

Winston-Salem as one name is totally unique. There is no other Winston-Salem. But there are Winstons and there are Salems. There is also more than one "Old Salem"

Um, back to the topic...

I was thinking, the area needs to capitalize on the Greensboro Coliseum somehow. It sits mostly empty during the year, but could be a prime facility for a future NBA team perhaps (in 10+ years). What about Arena Football?

Its possible for to get a second NBA team. several states have more than one but it will be many decades before NC has the populational mass to support a second NBA team in NC and in the Greensboro area. Thats not not realistic anytime soon. Greensboro has a minor league Arena Football team. I dont know if a major league Arena Football team will do to much to give Greensboro exposure. currently the coliseum host concerts throughout the year so it doesnt sit empty all the time. The coliseum complex also host other events that dont take place in the arena such as trade shows and conventions.

I would love for Greensboro to have a large tennis stadium so the city can host major tennis tournaments. I would love to see professional tennis come to Greensboro. Maybe even a sports complex that includes a tennis stadium, swimming stadium and a bowling lanes facility with stadium seating for regional and national tournaments in those sports. Thats another way Greensboro can get more in the spotlight through professional sports. Greensboro has built its reputation as being a major sports tournament town with the ACC tournament, NCAA tournament basketball games, PGA event, and NCAA Final Four Soccer. The city should continue to build on that on a national level with more professional sport events. If Greensboro can host enough tournament events that would stretch throughout the year, Greensboro wont have a problem being fully well known across the country. The city already has come up with a nickname for Greensboro "Tournament Town" Greensboro will be alot more successaful at this than trying to land an NBA or MLB team.

Um, back to the topic...

I was thinking, the area needs to capitalize on the Greensboro Coliseum somehow. It sits mostly empty during the year, but could be a prime facility for a future NBA team perhaps (in 10+ years). What about Arena Football?

The Greensboro Coliseum is a fine venue, but is not a prime Future facility for the NBA, for one reason it does not have luxury boxs or enough luxury boxs , that's one of the reasons why Charlotte dumped the Charlotte Coliseum, if they added those amenties then it might be a different story.

Its possible for to get a second NBA team. several states have more than one but it will be many decades before NC has the populational mass to support a second NBA team in the Greensboro area. Thats not not realistic anytime soon. Greensboro has a minor league Arena Football team. I dont know if a major league Arena Football team will do to much to give Greensboro exposure. currently the coliseum host concerts throughout the year so it doesnt sit empty all the time. The coliseum complex also host other events that dont take place in the arena such as trade shows and conventions.

I would love for Greensboro to have a large tennis stadium so the city can host major tennis tournaments. I would love to see professional tennis come to Greensboro. Maybe even a sports complex that includes a tennis stadium, swimming stadium and a bowling lanes facility with stadium seating for regional and national tournaments in those sports. Thats another way Greensboro can get more in the spotlight through professional sports. Greensboro has built its reputation as being a major sports tournament town with the ACC tournament, NCAA tournament basketball games, PGA event, and NCAA Final Four Soccer. The city should continue to build on that on a national level with more professional sport events. If Greensboro can host enough tournament events that would stretch throughout the year, Greensboro wont have a problem being fully well known across the country. The city already has come up with a nickname for Greensboro "Tournament Town" Greensboro will be alot more successaful at this than trying to land an NBA or MLB team.

You hit the nail on the head, this is Greensboro's core strength, city and business leaders should cater more to this type of market you have so many of the elements in place already. :thumbsup:

You hit the nail on the head, this is Greensboro's core strength, city and business leaders should cater more to this type of market you have so many of the elements in place already. :thumbsup:

I say nickname Greensboro "Tournament City USA" and use that name to bring sports events (college & professional level), and sports facilities to Greensboro.

I think the Triad will have a chance to land a professional sports team. It will most likely be in Greensboro because of a) GSO's identity as a sports city and the connections that go along with it. (i.e. look at what's happening with the PGA Tour/Fed Ex Cup) b) it's location. Just like CLT had an advantage because of it's location to SC, the same will be the case with GSO's location in the state and in proximity to Southern VA and maybe eastern TN. I most definitely think that it will be associated with GSO but more so with the Triad.

Archived