3rd term for Mayor Perez?

grock

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since he recently came out supporting an initiative to bring the NHL back to Hartford, I hope he does run again. The fact he publically came out and said that is huge. Mayor Mike was equally passionate, but his hands were pretty much tied without the ability of being a strong mayor.

I honestly don't know who else is out there who could run, so I can only voice how I feel about Perez.

Hartford is coming back, and you have to give some credit to Mayor Mike since that kind of thing doesn't happen overnight. But putting the NHL mission aside, I think Perez has done a very good job. If I lived in Hartford (I'm less than a mile away!), I'd vote for him.

Hmmm I dunno know. I love the fact that he is pushing to bring the NHL back to Hartford but on the other hand there is the fact that he isnt the best person when it comes to dealing with companies in the city. Whether any of these incidents were tied to him or not there has been a labor dispute at the Marriott/Convention Center, the loss of WFSB and the loss of ING (although this turned out to be a good thing for AETNA)

My opposition to mayor Perez has grown in the past several months. His performance is questionable. I am in strong opposition with him over his handling of the union debacle at the convention center. Keep in mind he is the first person to have the power of a "Strong Mayor". I am somewhat undecided, but could he have used his strong mayor powers more effectively over the past few years?

Yes, he has been a strong supporter of bringing the Whalers back, and with that I agree strongly. However, I shudder when I hear stories that developers do not want to even think about getting into negotiations with him (I understand that Fingold, an ass for lack of a better term, said this).

So at this point, I am undecided, but am leaning towards liking the idea of seeing someone new in office.

Wasn't there also a union issue with the remodeling of the Hilton?

I guess he's at odds with Sam Fingold, who's doing the Sage Allen building and was supposed to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that's falling through. (He wants to move them to Kansas City.) I don't like Fingold, and I don't like when he publically trashes Mayor Perez and the City Hartford. But that's a whole other issue.

One thing I like about Perez is he's very personable. When you talk with him, he shuts everything out and really listens to you, and you can tell buy what he says in response. But...how many people get that opportunity? That's just as important as how you appear in the press. Again...a whole other issue!

I think Mayor Perez needs to do a couple of things right away and if not then someone else should be elected next year:

1. Needs to be tougher on crime. The other night on the news when asked about the Club Blu shooting, he should have said "We will not tolerate this kind of violence downtown." Instead he was kind of wishy washy about it. A shooting downtown scares suburbanites.

2. He needs to find the money to hire police officers, and if it means cutting out some programs, then so be it.

3. Develop some downtown vacant lots and vacant buildings. Most projects going on now are state projects. These vacant parking lots are a waste. Go to Providence...these parking lots are all filled with developments.

4. Parking. The new parking system is giving out tickets like crazy, yet parking lots are still allowed to charge whatever they want. If you want grab a quick bite downtown for an hour or so, it might cost you $8, more on event nights. That is unacceptable. There is plenty of land downtown, build another city garage that will charge a reasonable hourly rate like the Morgan Street garage.

5. Pass a tough anti blight ordinance. Why are so many buildings downtown allowed to look like crap? Check out the 2 on Elm Street near the old Municipal Cafe. What about the Capitol Building next to the Holiday Inn Express? The eyesore on Myrtle? The butt ugly building.

6. Ask any developer and they will tell you the city is terrible to do business with. Too much waiting and paperwork.

7. Sidewalks. Fix them. Now. Check out the block on Asylum between Main and Trumbull. Disgraceful.

8. Make amends with Governor Rell. Let's face it, DeStefano isn't going to win, so forge a partnership with Rell, like Peters had with Rowland. Even if DeStefano did win, is he going to help the mayor of the city who endorsed Dan Malloy?

9. Speaking of Malloy, he has managed to attract all sorts of business to downtown Stamford, including a Target. It is one of the first urban targets in the country, with a garage and an urban setup. A visit by the mayor to the Target CEO could do wonders. Before South WIndsor and West Hartford grab up all the chain stores, talk to them and invite them to visit to Hartford. We used to have a Gap, and bookstores and that was BEFORE all the new housing was built. THere are more people here now than 10 years ago, so it is time for an aggressive recruitment of new business.

10. Get the social services, shelters out of the downtown area. THe Methodone clinic at the corner of Main and Buckingham and the shelters on the South Green scare off investors and potential buyers.

I thought he was just elected, I didn't realize he was in his second term. Listening to you all talk about him, both good and bad, it sounds like 2 terms might be enough. You all need someone who is going to hold the state to following through with plans for Front Street. What has he been saying about Front Street?

Perez has done an OK job. Perez comes from a community organizing background and I feel like he has certainly improved life in the community and also has improved the business climate in Hartford. I personally think his biggest mistake was the Union Scandal at the CCC, most of the other setbacks seem to be more circumstantial. We do need more cops full time, not the tempory State Troopers that are here now. If he could accomplish that and really get Front Street moving, I would support another term. I however would not mind having a mayor with more of a corporate/business background. It would really help to have someone who really speaks these people's language in office. I still think the only realistic threat would be more than likely a North End candidate, since there are many here that don't care for Perez and would support a more local (to us) candidate.

There are already rumblings from a few potential challengers that get louder by the day. These candidates would be considered political heavyweights in Hartford. None that I am overly enthusiastic about so far though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Archived