Your Favorite Bridges

dtown

Post pics of you favorite bridges, and tell a little bit about them.

heres mine.

The Mackinac Bridge, spanning the 5 mile long Straits of Mackinaw in northern Michigan.

(sorry this is the best pic i got.)

254412550_b0eedf76b3_b.jpg

And heres another one i like.

The International Bridge, connecting the US to Canada at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. It spans the St. Mary's River/ The Soo Locks, the largest freshwater lock system in the world.

254412555_8e346d4ba7_b.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THe Ambassador Bridge- Crossing the Detroit River, linking Detroit, Michigan to Windsor,Ontario.

38%20-%20detroit%20river%20ambassador%20bridge.jpg

The Blue Water bridge, linking Port Huron, Michigan to Sarnia, Ontario.

08.jpg

The Portage Lift bridge, linking Hancock and Houghton, Michigan over the portage canal.

10.jpg

That Mighty Mac and Cape Cod Canal are my favorites on this list so far.

But I have to give my love to where I left my heart:

Sydney Harbour Bridge linking the CBD of Sydney to the CBD of North Sydney:

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

and of course, my notorious picture I use for everything Australian:

DSC01225.jpg

And, while not so famous as it's brother only a mile or two away, the Anzac Bridge over one of the many coves in Sydney brings back a lot of memories:

IMG_0114_001.jpg

I've walked the distance of both and the views of the city are amazing from them. They are as much national icons to Australians as the Golden Gate Bridge is to Americans.

While I don't have any pictures of them, Pittsburgh and Jacksonville have some gorgeous bridges along their bisecting rivers, especially at night. Maybe I'll try to snap a shot or two of Jax's while I'm in Florida this weekend.

DSC01225.jpg

If you own the rights to this pic I'd love to buy a single license, blow up and frame, this is an incredible picture, better than about any commercial version I've seen. Completely awesome.

I'm including this googled pic until I can load my own later, of MAM's pedestrian bridge. Sorry to twist the theme a little here, but it is an incredible "bridge" none-the-less.

post-12494-1159531134_thumb.jpg

post-12494-1159531134_thumb.jpg

If you own the rights to this pic I'd love to buy a single license, blow up and frame, this is an incredible picture, better than about any commercial version I've seen. Completely awesome.

I'm including this googled pic until I can load my own later, of MAM's pedestrian bridge. Sorry to twist the theme a little here, but it is an incredible "bridge" none-the-less.

I do own it, you probably got my PM by now.

Sydney has a couple of those ped bridges like that, one I particularly like is near the Rocks. Googled:

dsc00087.jpg

man, that bridge is awesome.

heres another of my favorites- The Belle Isle Bridge, spaaning part of the Detroit River, connecting Belle Isle to the mainland part of Detroit. Built in 1923 it consists of 19 arches, it is a total length of 2,356 feet.

not my photo

Belle%20Isle%20Bridge.jpg

These are very inspiring photographs! Thanks to everyone who has posted:)

To my knowledge no other city is as defined by it's bridges as Jacksonville. The Dames Point Bridge is clearly the most magestic bridge in the city. But my personal favorite is the Main Street Bridge AKA the Blue Bridge. It's the smallest and oldest of Jax's existing bridges, and the city has been painting it a delightful blue for many years.

I wish I had some pics to share. Perhaps some other member might have some to post.

Archived