Your Favorite Bridges

dtown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are very inspiring photographs! Thanks to everyone who has posted:)

To my knowledge no other city is as defined by it's bridges as Jacksonville.

i was thinking the same thing. what's great about jacksonville is not so much the bridges themselves as how amazing and unique the views of the city are from them. each one is its own experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the Hernando-Desoto Bridge across the Mississippi River in Memphis. We call it the "M" Bridge:

DSC00700.jpg

Louisiana has some great bridges on the I-10 corridor - a 17-mile long bridge between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and a 20-mile between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Impressive if only because of their sheer size.

From Nate down in New Orleans, in the Atchafalya Swamp thread:

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

Covered Bridge in Frankenmuth, MI

1587197-covered_bridge-Detroit.jpg

I also notised a few days ago about a mile from my house where a dirt road was moved to make way for a highway, the ground still rises up to a level surface where the road once was and the trees are a little shorter. I just recently notised that there's a small 2-foot high bridge still standing there... probably for a seasonal wash or a small creek.. looked like it was made of stone.. rather than the typical metal pipe used nowadays. I'm gonna try to snap a picture of it.

This is the Hernando-Desoto Bridge across the Mississippi River in Memphis. We call it the "M" Bridge:

DSC00700.jpg

Louisiana has some great bridges on the I-10 corridor - a 17-mile long bridge between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and a 20-mile between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Impressive if only because of their sheer size.

From Nate down in New Orleans, in the Atchafalya Swamp thread:

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

I love all of these bridges. History Channel's - Modern Marvels features bridges quite often. I saw one on the Lake Pontchartrain(spelling?) causeway leading to New Orleans. The interesting thing about that 2 span bridge is that it is so long, 1 side is about 12 feet longer than the other due to the curvature of Earth. WOW! My friend from Slidel, LA says that when you are on the middle portion of the bridge the entire horizon is nothing but water. He says it seems like your in the middle of the ocean.

Archived