Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ctman987

Rumors of the Courant being sold

6 posts in this topic

There was an article in the Courant about the Courant - the nations oldest newspaper - being possibly sold by the Tribune. In this same article there were rumors one of the areas wealthiest familes - the Chases - have expressed intrest in buying the paper

Read for yourself

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-coura...headlines-local

I think a locally owned Hartford Courant would be great.

There was an article in the Courant about the Courant - the nations oldest newspaper - being possibly sold by the Tribune. In this same article there were rumors one of the areas wealthiest familes - the Chases - have expressed intrest in buying the paper

Read for yourself

I'm not sure that it's rumors, I think Tribune will seriously divest some of their stuff. I agree though, a locally owned Courant would be the best for everyone.

Read for yourself

Hmm...

Until the mid 70s when the Times-Mirror bought them -- it was a fairly CONSERVATIVE paper -- the Times was the LIBERAL paper. When the Times left -- and I remember it because I didn't deliver the paper to 50% of my customer (the customers who were pains in the ---) -- the Courant moved slightly left, when Times-Mirror bought it, it went LIBERAL.

The Chases buying it? Hmm... the Chases are smart -- but I doubt it'll happen -- the age of newspapers are over. Look at the circulation of newspapers -- even in Florida, the Tampa Tribune (right of center -- not Conservative!) is not keeping up with the population gains of the area. (St. Pete Times, a bit more Conservative paper) is gaining readers but not as much as the growth. Boston Globe, New York Slimes and the Washington Compost are LOSING readers.

If the Chases did buy it -- I hope they'll make it fair -- a moderate centered paper.

JimS

If the Chases did buy it -- I hope they'll make it fair -- a moderate centered paper.

JimS

I agree, some of these newspapers can be way to one sided. We need balance here.

I agree, some of these newspapers can be way to one sided. We need balance here.

drc:

True. If the Hartford Courant did get sold to the Chases -- it would nice. Maybe the Hartford Courant Company would recreate a book publishing arm (they used to do book publishing - but when LA Times bought them it got shut down).

I hope the Chases do buy it -- and WTIC TV, too.

JimS