Durham Revitalization Efforts

raleightransplant

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The transit station's under construction right now.

It's for buses, not trains, and Durham got a lot of federal funding for it.

I agree that it's a cool-looking building, but I wonder if it couldn't have been better integrated into downtown-- retail that complements the AmTobo project? residential component that houses potential transit riders? offices that play on the perfect downtown location?

I think it's sub-optimum, and perhaps even sets an urban system up for failure when a community segregates the transit function from everything else, even when it's in a building that's quite compelling visually. Architecture as public art does not a true city build.

I thought the link to this whole thing came up in a TTA train discussion, but you're right. It is Greyhound/Taxi/Data. I assume that this would be a Moore Square-type of transit hub? If so, why in the world would they build it where it couldn't be multi-modal in the forseen 2 year startup window????

Quick Note:

the Amtrak station will be directly connected to the West Village complex, which is across the tracks from American Tobacco.

In terms of why the Amtrak station is on that side, I remember reading that for one reason or another, Amtrak likes having boarding on that side of the tracks, rather than on the TTA side (I'm not sure how much sense that makes, but I remember hearing that).

I'm not so concerned about the distance one may travel between buses and trains. I'm sure it will be engineered to make for the quickest route possible. What I'm concerned (or hopeful I guess) about is the other areas adjacent to the former Heart of Durham lot - vacant lots and such - between this site and AmTobo.

That field across from the NC Mutual Life building is pretty big - will this transit center take up the whole space or will it occupy just a speck of land in a sea of parking?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may quickly change the subject of the thread, but I hear that Spanish-language TV show is becoming a pretty big deal. They film on location sometimes at Guajillo's on Main Street.

And speaking of filming on Main Street, anyone hear about the Philip Seymour Hoffman/Amy Adams film that's supposed to be coming to the Bull City? The working title is Main Street U.S.A. and should start production this May.

Story from the Independent

• 6 months later...

The N&O has an article about jobs moving to DT Durham:Jobs shift to core of Durham. While not ground breaking this is good news for Durham. I think the following quote in the article is interesting: "...downtown Durham reminded him of New York, gritty and kind of cool. I didn't get that in Raleigh,...It felt very flat and pristine. It felt like a wonderful place to launch a bank or an insurance company. ... Durham felt exciting and new and interesting." I've always thought that Durham had more potential than Raleigh.

Having spent a great deal of time in Greensboro lately I would say that Greensboro also has more 'texture' to it than Raleigh. The differences? Greensboro and Durham and manufacturing (at least at one time they were!) based economies where Raleigh is mostly government and churches in its downtown. If you put say, Caraleigh Mills, Pilot Mill, and The Cotton Mill in the so called warehouse district, the entire core would feel much grittier. tear down and rebuild has been more more prevalent in Raleigh too (much like Charlotte).

This is why we need TTA (I'm a broken record, I know)... so we can easily enjoy all that the Triangle has to offer. I like Raleigh *AND* Durham *AND* Chapel Hill. Each has it's unique character and feel. Can you imagine seeing a play at the PE Center, getting a meal/drink at American Tobacco, and a late night rock show at the Cradle all in one night?

This is why we need TTA (I'm a broken record, I know)... so we can easily enjoy all that the Triangle has to offer. I like Raleigh *AND* Durham *AND* Chapel Hill. Each has it's unique character and feel. Can you imagine seeing a play at the PE Center, getting a meal/drink at American Tobacco, and a late night rock show at the Cradle all in one night?

This would be great. Unfortunately, this plan would still require about a 1 mile walk from the PE center to the TTA station near West street, and a cab from Durham to Chapel Hill. And probably a cab home (since the busses stop running at 10:20 on weekdays and 6:30 on weekends).

We still need a comprehensive plan for mass transit.

Durham's doing great. As propoesed projects get going, the ball will start rolling faster.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like DT Durham's main street project is taking a while. I was down there recently and everything is still trashed. I know it started at a very similar time as Fayetteville St. I wonder what is taking them so long.

I think I read recently that the delays had a lot to do with underground work. Once this area is complete, I think it will be great. By the way...Rue Cler is opening on 10/6. Great little place in the heart of DT Durham on Chapel Hill Street.

http://www.ruecler.blogspot.com/

It's by the folks who opened own Pop's at Peabody. Also, Piedmont is opening in October as well (I believe the Federal and Milltown group is opening this one. They're going to be right near Branch Gallery I believe. Good neighborhood restaurant scene evolving in Durham.

Archived