Durham Revitalization Efforts

raleightransplant

DT Durham is definitely on the rise. It is my opinion, that in 5 years, Durham will have a more vibrant DT than Raleigh. I like Raleigh and some of the things they are doing, but it lacks character and is a very 9-5 city. Also, it doesn't seem to be nearly as progessive with it development. With American Tobacco, the Durham Bulls, Brightleaf, the new performing arts center, Ligget Myers and eventually restaurants DT, Durham should have a nice mix of activities in a relatively compact area.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ Durham has always had a funkier edge than Raleigh, and the current development going on is no different. I have no doubt that the magnitde of activity in DT Raleigh will make it a vibrant place -- there's SO much residential being build in the CBD, which is key to a thriving city, and the clubs, restaurants and other shops and things are already starting to follow.

That said, I also have no doubt that flavor of new developments in DT Durham will maintain it's funk factor, so it will continue to draw a more artsy (I've heard some say a "more authentic") crowd.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's the one I'm thinking of... this is exactly the type of development we should be praising! Developers could just as easily build on greenspace out in the exurbs, but it seems as tremendous growth is driving demand in the Triangle, every old dilapidated shopping center is potentially up for grabs. :thumbsup:

If it's the one I'm thinking of... this is exactly the type of development we should be praising! Developers could just as easily build on greenspace out in the exurbs, but it seems as tremendous growth is driving demand in the Triangle, every old dilapidated shopping center is potentially up for grabs. :thumbsup:

Alivia's is great. It's a little upscale, but it's not like you've gotta be dressed to the nines to be in there. They've got a nice mixture of entrees and 'first courses', some with a southern/NC flair. Their breakfast menu looks fantastic too.

Forgive me if it was posted elsewhere, but I noticed DDI's results for its Downtown Retail Survey. The survey asked people to identify the retail, amenities and services downtown Durham needs most.

http://www.downtowndurham.com/assets/whats...lSurvey2007.pdf

They say they got over 800 responses, and targeted downtown residents, employees, businesses & the larger Durham community.

I was happy to see that 'grocery store' topped the list for retail needs. I couldn't agree more. It seems that it will be difficult getting people to move downtown if there isn't a basic grocery.

But where would it go? There's the old Fowler place. Are the chains too beholden to the big box/big parking model to try something downtown? I suppose many companies wouldn't want to move downtown until there's more people there (chicken and egg).

Is a grocery so important? Is there a more important resource to draw residents?

I was happy to see that 'grocery store' topped the list for retail needs. I couldn't agree more. It seems that it will be difficult getting people to move downtown if there isn't a basic grocery.

But where would it go? There's the old Fowler place. Are the chains too beholden to the big box/big parking model to try something downtown? I suppose many companies wouldn't want to move downtown until there's more people there (chicken and egg).

Is a grocery so important? Is there a more important resource to draw residents?

It's not a bad walk or bike ride from my place to Whole Foods, and I'll usually take that route if I only need a few items. But I can't imagine anyone living at ATC in the coming years making the trip over there. At least not by foot.

Today my boss and I were fantasizing about a Trader Joe's some day coming downtown. Now THAT would be cool.

I am really excited about everything happening in and around DT Durham. It amazes me that there is so much momentum in and around downtown and ground is just now being broken on the first new buildings. Just imagine how downtown/surrounding will be in 2010, I definately believe it will be a top destination in the Triangle.

Dowtown Durham Inc. and some city leaders have scheduled a trip to Baltimore to see how public and private partnerships have worked in that city, and perhaps to get some inspiration. DDI and others have visited Roanoke, Asheville, and Greenville in the past. Hopefully they can get some good ideas from the revitalized inner harbor area in Baltimore.

Story from the Herald-Sun

Archived