Durham Revitalization Efforts

raleightransplant

I think this is good news for DT Durham seeing that Struever Bros. is redeveloping American Tobacco II, III, Rolling Hills, and the DAP. I was just in Baltimore a year ago and it was so beautiful. The inner habor was packed they had live music, boats rides and many more neat things for families. That was my first time there and it reminded me of DT Durham in many ways. The redevelopment of all the older brick buildings and just the grit of the city. This is truly an example of what DT Durham could and will be if revitalized correctly.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The N&O has an article on Downtown Durham's streetscaping project, which is well underway.

A $13 million project to refurbish and realign the downtown streets and sidewalks is less than two months from completion.

By mid-April, officials say, pedestrians will be able to traverse smooth new sidewalks complete with the nostalgic touch of red brick pavers.

And by mid-May, the streets will have fresh asphalt, and Main and Chapel Hill streets will be converted to two-way thoroughfares.

More than 200 trees will shade the streets, and a new plaza will open on realigned Corcoran Street.

Durham's project is a lot more expansive than Raleigh's Fayetteville Street at 1.25 miles compared to 4 blocks, but I think the goals are the same. Attract businesses and residents and connect them with well-lit attractive, walkable streets.

20070402_durham_streets.jpg

20070402_durham_downtown.jpg

The News & Observer has an article today about the downtown Durham streetscape project.

Durham spruces up downtown streets.

This project, which covers 1.25 miles of streetscape, is costing Durham $13 million, while Fayetteville Street cost Raleigh how much - $9 million, for four blocks was it? Sounds like the Bull City is getting a bargain. One of the things that they say is that by doing all the streets at once, they're getting it done much more quickly. The original plans called for moving block-by-block, which would have been less intrusive, but supposedly would have taken twice as long.

Something I've noticed, is that the CCB building... has no doors opening up to CCB plaza. That's probably because when the CCB tower was built, the street on that side was little more than an alleyway between it and the Washington Duke hotel (which sat where CCB plaza is now.) I seem to remember something about building an entrance on that side facing the plaza, but I can't find the article anymore...

Anyway, I can't wait for this to be done. It's high time that Durham inside the loop got some lovin' attention. When this project is complete, then the city can move on to later phases, which involve streets outside the loop and the loop itself.

All of this work to undo the damage done in the 1960s. Sigh.

• 4 weeks later...
Durham announces delays for streetscape project. The paving, and sidewalk work won't be done until June, insead of May. There's even a quote from the rue Cler owner about how ready they are to see the work done. When we were there for the meetup, I did think the streetscaping--especially the brickwork--looked good, and should be a nice finished product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, the West Village buildings are now in the CoStar database of properties available for lease, so some graphics and the project site plan are easier to find online.

I've written up a post at my blog today on it, including an analysis of the buildings south of Main St.

http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/05/west_village_ph.html

There'll be a part two later in the week.

I've been reading this forum for some time now, so I've decided that the time for me to contribute. These photos were taken late this afternoon in Durham.

American Tobacco Campus

ATC

ATC2

ATC3

ATC4

ATC5

ATC6

ATC7

Diamond View II

DV

DV2

DV3

DV4

Downtown Improvements

DT

DT2

DT3

DT4

SuntrustPlaza1

SuntrustPlaza2

SuntrustPlaza3

West Village II

WV

WV2

WV3

WV4

WV5

WV6

WV7

WV8

WV9

WV10

Lofts on Trinity and Washington

Lofts

Lofts2

A few other shots of downtown

Bull Durham

Skyline

SunTrust Building

Durham CentRe

DAP

DAP2

DBAP

Parking Lot

Great pictures. How hard is it to get pictures inside the ATHD-I know they have a lot of security around. I was over at James Joyce last night and couldn't find a parking spot which was the first time thats ever happened- a ton of people out and about. Alivia's has helped that a lot-they have one of the coolest patios I have seen.

Great pictures. How hard is it to get pictures inside the ATHD-I know they have a lot of security around. I was over at James Joyce last night and couldn't find a parking spot which was the first time thats ever happened- a ton of people out and about. Alivia's has helped that a lot-they have one of the coolest patios I have seen.

The Carolina Theatre will be closed most of the summer for repairs & renovation: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A154716

Looks like they hope to reopen in August, just barely in time for the NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. It's one of their largest events, so hopefully they'll make it. I'm glad the city is making the investment here...it's definitely a treasure worth preserving.

That area fronting the DBAP is prime real estate. Some massive mixed use projects would look fantastic as you enter DT Durham. A lot of really exciting things going on in Durham right now. I think that area is perfect for some more modern structures to compliment the Performing Arts Center. It could really balance out the historic textured buildings in DT like West Village and American Tobacco.

I am against using eminent domain to aid in economic development, but for the two car lots, especially University Ford, I would make an exception. Maybe they know that if people living downtown won't be driving Fords, so the fight is to *maintain* the existing car-dependent culture.

A dealership with a large maintenance department down 147 closer to RTP could do quite well. And they wouldn't be near any other dealers. If they want to be in an "automotive row", create one north of 85 on Roxboro near the old K-Mart, or join the other dealers opening up near Southpoint.

If Capitol Broadcasting won't meet University Ford's demands, no one will. They will create black holes that I hope other development nearby (AT III, performing arts, etc.) can overcome.

Archived