Durham Revitalization Efforts

raleightransplant

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listed below are some changes and renovations expected in Durham as well as new items currently under development or in the planning stages.

http://www.durham-nc.com/about/new_visitor_developments.php

Lots of stuff happening downtown in the next two years. I think it was bullcity76 who said Durham is still rolling the ball up the hill, but the top of the hill is in sight. Some locals remind me it's been 'in sight' for years. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

I wish the street work was going faster, but you can now see where it's going. I hope it's all done by next Full Frame Festival in April.

The road crews have run into just about everything imaginable- forgotten pipes, old trolley tracks, casks of rum. The tunnels that NCMike is probably referring to are basements from adjoining buildings that weren't supposed to be there.

I went to Brightleaf Square and American Tobacco today. Very cool. I love Morgan Imports and highly recommend it as a place to visit downtown. Also American Tobacco was cool, especially the river going through the complex but Starbucks is closed on the weekend! What's up with that?

Lots of stuff happening downtown in the next two years. I think it was bullcity76 who said Durham is still rolling the ball up the hill, but the top of the hill is in sight. Some locals remind me it's been 'in sight' for years. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

I wish the street work was going faster, but you can now see where it's going. I hope it's all done by next Full Frame Festival in April.

I don't think an end is really in sight. The "plaza" by the CCB/SunTrust building has been sitting there, half done, with piles of dirt and bricks for months. It's a real drag. And even when it is done, it'll take years - at least a decade, before the city becomes what everyone's talking about. It's staggering to hear about so-and-so's friend who won't go to downtown Durham because they're scared.

I feel like I have to be optimistic because I own property downtown, but it's gotten really old, trying to convince visitors, friends in Raleigh, etc. that "it'll be really great when it's done." In some ways it's like Iraq: currently in ruins, with no timeline for an end to the work. And sometimes people get shot.

^^

I understand your frustration. I've been in that area and felt the same way over past months. However, keep your head up. I was driving through the area on Saturday (early evening) with my wife. I think this area is starting to turn that corner. My wife was a Durham skeptic. She finally visualized the renewal and urban form that's coming out of that area. She mentioned something to the effect of.."I finally get what you're talking about now".

Like I mentioned, Rue Cler and Piedmont are both opening this month. Both TREMENDOUS locations. Right in the heart of interesting areas in DT. Those will be "destination" restaurants in short time. Nice places, but restaurants that you can frequent pretty often. People will frequent these restaurants and finally visualize what many of us have for a long time. That WILL get the ball rolling. I'm certain of it right now. That area is absolutely ripe for quirky independent businesses. It really has the potential to be something unique to the Triangle. I think the plaza area is opening things up, and all of those districts (ATHD, Brightleaf, Downtown loop area) appear much closer and cohesive than before.

I don't think an end is really in sight. The "plaza" by the CCB/SunTrust building has been sitting there, half done, with piles of dirt and bricks for months. It's a real drag. And even when it is done, it'll take years - at least a decade, before the city becomes what everyone's talking about. It's staggering to hear about so-and-so's friend who won't go to downtown Durham because they're scared.

The construction crew ran into problems with the Washington Duke Hotel (which occupied this site many years ago) foundation remains. They moved on to other areas of the project while the underground issues were addressed. They are still looking for a Spring 2007 opening.

• 1 month later...

Progress report on DT Durham. My interest was up since I took visitors to Tyler's last week...they were very impressed with ATHD and Brightleaf. They actually preferred Durham to Raleigh (gasp). Things are coming along very nicely over there. Pedestrian traffic appears WAY up from even a month or two ago during the day. I was noticing a nice mix of people out around lunch today. Rue Cler is doing some nice business for both lunch and dinner, and Piedmont finally will open Wednesday, 11/15. Parrish Street is going to be a nice little stretch in downtown I think. I definitely can see it transforming much like Asheville over there. Check it out.

Durham has so much unrealized potential. If somehow, we could build a decent park downtown, increase pedestrian activity after hours, not just the fringes as in Brightleaf, American Tobacco District. Add additional bars, restaurants (w/patios) and shops. I see/sense progress, but at a snails pace.

Increase patrol around the area to shread ourselves of the crime label. I think that hurts most but pre-Katrina, New Orleans entertainment areas were/are surrounded by seedy hoods. Just beef up patrol to provide a sense of security and people will take a chance.

Downtown Durham is lucky in respects to keeping older bldgs. Although they have a river, Wilmington has completely transformed it's downtown. It was a ghost town at night in the 80's as was Charlotte. Neither are today, Charlotte has big banks - constantly bldg, Wilmington has a river, Raleigh is the capital, but Durham has diversity. Durham could become somewhat Ashevillious given it's slightly left-of-center.

I think were getting close, just can't quite determine what it'll take to cross the sands.

One of the reasons progress has been slow in Durham is a lot of this effort has been grassroots rather than corporate-driven. It does take longer but what you end up with is a city with character that the people can claim as their own rather than a sterile facade of glossy buildings. I think signs of life are arising in the middle of the downtown area. Once you can merge whats going on at Brightleaf, ATHD, Main St. with the area near the old DAP/Durham Central Park and West Village the downtown will be pretty impressive.

One of the reasons progress has been slow in Durham is a lot of this effort has been grassroots rather than corporate-driven. It does take longer but what you end up with is a city with character that the people can claim as their own rather than a sterile facade of glossy buildings. I think signs of life are arising in the middle of the downtown area. Once you can merge whats going on at Brightleaf, ATHD, Main St. with the area near the old DAP/Durham Central Park and West Village the downtown will be pretty impressive.

Good points. What makes Durham great to me, and the reason people will take to it is that it's unique. Let's face it, in 2006 most cities are revitalizing and putting housing in the core, etc. Most cities, however, don't have these amazing industrial buildings that can be transformed in to a real rejuvinated urban feel. When people come in from other places, that sticks with them as it is different and unique from what they're accustomed to. That unique character is a real draw to me, plus Durham just strikes me an effortlessly cool place. Usually cool places don't need to try too hard, they just are that way. The effort they're using now will help in the long run, though.

The thread for the Durham Performing Arts Center projet is here.

Not sure on the numbers, but it's quite possible that this will be the largest auditorium in the state. Durham has the Carolina Theater too, but even so it will be difficult for them to match the programming flexibility that the one-two-three punch that having Memorial Auditorium, Meymandi, and Fletcher all in one location gives the PE Center in Raleigh. Not to mention that no multi-purpose facility can hope to match the sheer quality of a purpose-built facility like Meymandi.

However, this will be a welcome addition to the performing arts scene in the Triangle. I believe that there is more than enough demand for fine arts in the Triangle to have a full schedule at all of these facilities, especially as we continue to grow so rapidly.

Archived