Which lot shall be built upon next..?

Lets lay out which downtown surface lots are available to be built upon and say which one we think should be built on next.... and tell why you think this lot should be next in line. Is it pure visual gratification, do we need more foot traffic there, will is extend the public's view of downtown's perimeter? etc..

just hoping it'll be a fun thread for discussion.

My lot would be the lots behind Citizens. I think they are the largest in size, and IMO we need to attack lots in size first.. (as long as the prOject going there suits it). I'm thinking it'll be an expansion of Citizens and it should be taller than anything in the area. It wil obvisouly serve as more foot traffic for the surrounding retail and restaurants that are around waterplace. The expansion of Citizens would produce a little more hotel activity, and the presence of the tall building(s) in those lots will be pretty dramatic compared to what we have there now (cars).

What would providence be if we left waterplace and the mall as huge lots and filled in the lots near JWU and the CBD first??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets lay out which downtown surface lots are available to be built upon and say which one we think should be built on next.... and tell why you think this lot should be next in line. Is it pure visual gratification, do we need more foot traffic there, will is extend the public's view of downtown's perimeter?

just hoping it'll be a fun thread for discussion.

the ones at the intersection of snow street and westminster. it's for more foot traffic, better visual gratification, and to make westminster continue all the way to empire without interruption.

Citizens, then the clusterf*ck of lots just south of the Financial District, then Snow Street, then some JD lots and then those state office lots up the hill.

This was something I was thinking of having us do for GC:PVD... Top 10 parkings lots that need to be developed NOW...

I like your rough list. Here's mine:

1 - Citizen's

2 - "Neutral Zone" of parking between the CBD and JD South of Pine...

3 - Snow and Westminster

4 - Weybosset and Empire

5 - Washington and Mathewson lots

6 - Weybosset and Orange lots next to the Arcade area

7 - The Washington Trust drive thru/parking lot on Washington

8 - TPG "Gas Station" lot

9 - The lots between Canal and N. Main encompassing Steeple, Elizabeth, and Throop Alley

10 - Union Station lot

For those who argue Providence is "built out," think again...

- Garris

I think parcel 12 is often underestimated as a key location which borders waterplace, the FD, the East Side, PPM, a growing restaurant core, and most importantly KP and the train station. It sits right on the bend of and just off the intersection of the rivers. This should be a tall slender (maybe tapered to a point at the top?) mixed-use structure that would serve as a 'cornerstone' of this part of the city. It could easily serve the residential sector with great views of the river, waterfires, and the east side and also be a 'signiture spot' for a large commercial presence or HQ.

I'd also like to see steady development up the moshasuck northbound opposite Canal Street...

I think parcel 12 is often underestimated as a key location which borders waterplace, the FD, the East Side, PPM, a growing restaurant core, and most importantly KP and the train station. It sits right on the bend of and just off the intersection of the rivers. This should be a tall slender (maybe tapered to a point at the top?) mixed-use structure that would serve as a 'cornerstone' of this part of the city. It could easily serve the residential sector with great views of the river, waterfires, and the east side and also be a 'signiture spot' for a large commercial presence or HQ.

Agreed. As I and others have said elsewhere, whatever goes there needs to be not just passable, but an architectural masterpiece. This is about the most prominent vacant lot left in the city, and whatever ends up going there will become a significant part of the city's architiectural identity. I'm anxiously waiting for renderings of the "radical" changes to that hotel proposal for the site.

As for other lots, I'd like to see:

1. The last remaining surface lot in the Union Station complex. That and Citizens are probably tied for #1 on my list. I'd like to see something about Biltmore height at Union Station, and slightly talller at Citizens.

2. The circular gas station (preferably something notably taller than E@B).

3. The sea of parking south of the Financial District, starting with that lot behind the custom house (about the height of One Ten, or slightly shorter). As much as Providence (rightly) likes to tout its old-world density, this rivals the asphalt mess of every auto-oriented downtown in America.

4. Station Park. I know it'll never happen, but as long as we're fantasizing, I think something mall/ Gtech height would be infinitely better here than a field, or even a proper park. It would nicely frame the Statehouse view, and fill in Frances St. as an urban streetscape. It would give those stairs at Waterplace Park something to climb toward other than a void. It would close in AmEx, and make it feel less like a refugee from some suburban office park. However, like I said with Parcel 12, whatever went here would have to be a signature building.

On the other hand, I wouldn't complain if they never develop the lot at Dorrance and Pine, mainly because it's cheap to park there when you go to PPAC. :blush:

In not really any particular order:

55 Broadway (the circular gas station site) [LiveLocal]

This is imperative for connecting Federal Hill to Downcity and LaSalle Square (which will hopefully be an extremly dynamic space post E@B and Dunk reno). The gas station site adds to the desolation created by the highway. Upgrading the overpass to make it more pedestrian friendly will help, but won't complete the gap. Dominca Manor and the arch further lengthen the gap, I'd like to see something at the top of the highway ramp on the Federal Hill side as well. The "Atwells Parcel" which is on Broadway is also hugely important for connecting Broadway to LaSalle Square.

Union Station Parcel [LiveLocal]

I'd argue that Union Station Plaza is one of the best public spaces in the city. I imagine the RI Foundation maintains it, the contrast with Waterplace is like night and day where that is concerned. It's a marvelous restaurant area, with great outdoor dining. But the surface parking there completely kills the plaza.

Custom House Street Parcels [LiveLocal]

Memorial Blvd. completely dies south of Westminster (not that it is a lively pedestrian street elsewhere, but at least there is cross traffic). Pine Street has amazing potential (see Garris' latest photos in the Photo thread, it doesn't look anthing like Pine Street, it did some magic voodoo in his camera) but it's connection to the river is a sea o surface lots. The Crawford Bridge ends at these parking lots. The Dyer Street section of the riverwalk ends at these parking lots. All of this isn't helped by the fact that Memorial Blvd. is about 500 yards wide at this point. I think there's room for tall buildings and buildings of a more contextual height here. The location could not be better with views down the river, access to Downcity and the highway, proximity to the river... And the lots are surrounded by wonderful historic buildings (except for the Arcade Garage).

Snow Street [LiveLocal]

I die a little inside everytime I walk by here.

"Back of the Hill" [LiveLocal]

The Cedar Street area on the east end of Federal Hill ("Back of the Hill" as I've dubbed it). I die a lot inside everytime I see this, especially after they tore down the two houses that are still standing in the LiveLocal view (which annoyingly they still haven't paved for parking, if you're going to tear a building down for parking, then park there damnit!). There should be structured parking here for the Hill, and it should be packed with low rise residential buildings.

I could go on of course, but I'll stop there. I left the Parking Lot District south of Friendship Street off my list because I'm resigned to waiting until 195 comes down for that, and considering how many other holes we need to fill, I'm OK with that.

Agreed. As I and others have said elsewhere, whatever goes there needs to be not just passable, but an architectural masterpiece. This is about the most prominent vacant lot left in the city, and whatever ends up going there will become a significant part of the city's architiectural identity. I'm anxiously waiting for renderings of the "radical" changes to that hotel proposal for the site.

Me too - I really hope they do this parcel right, really...

3. The sea of parking south of the Financial District, starting with that lot behind the custom house (about the height of One Ten, or slightly shorter). As much as Providence (rightly) likes to tout its old-world density, this rivals the asphalt mess of every auto-oriented downtown in America.

I agree here as well, but as Cotuit said:

In not really any particular order:

I left the Parking Lot District south of Friendship Street off my list because I'm resigned to waiting until 195 comes down for that, and considering how many other holes we need to fill, I'm OK with that.

The reconnection of many of the streets, the Dynamo House project, and the Waterfront park should easily attract development in the Suburu Desert...

Union Station Parcel [LiveLocal]

I'd argue that Union Station Plaza is one of the best public spaces in the city.

I agree - Union Station Plaza is a great area. No matter what night of the week it is, people are always around there - eating or listening to some music. It's like a Harvard Sq. or Quincy Market type of space, with musicians and performers entertaining people. I'd like to see more performers here, not just on Waterfire nights. With more and more conventions and tourists, a place like this is such an asset.

That lot needs to be developed.

Good thread CTown!

My big ones are:

1. Capitol Cove

2. Triangle Parcel

3. Union Station

4. 55 Broadway

My big ones are:

1. Capitol Cove

2. Triangle Parcel

3. Union Station

4. 55 Broadway

I substantially agree...

1. Capitol Cove - fills an ugly parcel

2. Triangle Parcel - connects Waterplace with the Financial District and fills an ugly parcel

3. Empire at Broadway - serves as the western anchor of Downcity

4. 55 Broadway - connects Downcity to Federal Hill, extends skyline west, makes PowerBlock complete

5. South of the Financial District - extends Downcity south and can add a couple of tall buildings

The surface parking / 2 level garage @ the corner of Weybosset and Empire is an eyesore. I think I could live with the surface parking next to the Federal Building if they built on this lot. Any storefront retail would thrive with it being a major intersection for the students........

I substantially agree...

1. Capitol Cove - fills an ugly parcel

2. Triangle Parcel - connects Waterplace with the Financial District and fills an ugly parcel

3. Empire at Broadway - serves as the western anchor of Downcity

4. 55 Broadway - connects Downcity to Federal Hill, extends skyline west, makes PowerBlock complete

5. South of the Financial District - extends Downcity south and can add a couple of tall buildings

I think the Triangle Parcel, is the one that should be built up first, it is just a dead area and would make things look more complete.

The surface parking / 2 level garage @ the corner of Weybosset and Empire is an eyesore. I think I could live with the surface parking next to the Federal Building if they built on this lot. Any storefront retail would thrive with it being a major intersection for the students........

that garage/parking would be a great spot for something. empire is becoming a destination area.

I kind of agree. I'd die a little less every time I walk by if the Weybosset Hill parcel at least was filled.

Archived